NSV - My first weight loss compliment

kbcakes
kbcakes Posts: 84
edited September 27 in Success Stories
I started MFP in January just before my mom had surgery for breast cancer. I spent 4 days with my mom, her two sisters, and my sister as she recovered. She now has 2 radiation treatments left, and everything looks good, so we are most definitely blessed.

Our family drove out of state for my cousins' wedding this past weekend. This was the son of one of my mom's sisters. Just after we checked into our room, my mom's other sister checked into the room next to ours. Upon seeing me, the first thing she said was, "You look fantastic!" Up to that point, I'd lost about 14 pounds, and I knew that some of my pants were getting too loose, but she was the first person to actually notice and say something about it. It made my whole day!!

Losing between .5 and 1 pound a week is the sensible thing to do, but for the past few weeks it has felt like I've been doing this for so long, and I still have so far to go. But with her compliment, it gives me the extra push I need to continue on in this journey. I just need to keep reminding myself that this is a MARATHON, not a SPRINT.

So for those of you that are feeling slightly discouraged at how long this is taking - have faith. One day, someone will notice, and they will say the same thing to you. Just keep working at it. Remember, it's not how fast we run the race, it's that we FINISH! :bigsmile:

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    How great to have someone recognize your efforts!! I agree, it seems sooooo slow, but at least we're going in the right direction. And we will do it.
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks for this. It seems that no matter how many times I hear it, though, I tend to get frustrated with myself and drop out of my weight loss because I feel that I'm not getting anywhere. It's great to continually see people like you who stay motivated, though, and serve as an inspiration for me.

Here's to finishing the marathon!
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    thats so encouraging that she noticed.
    And a definite reminder that slow progress does get results.

well done!
  • marandaj77
    marandaj77 Posts: 13
    It does seem slow but slow and steady wins the race and it nice for other to notice recognize and acknowledge your hard work, keep it up.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    ProudMomoftwo Posts: 525
    :happy: This is so wonderful!!!

I am so happy for you!
    I started MFP in March. I am almost 30 lbs lost and still no one has noticed...
    Very discouraging.
    I keep noticing my own NSVs and keep reminding myself that I have noticed changes and I am the one that matters.
    It is slow going. I was just talking to my Dh about that this very morning.
    We are conquerors and we will do this!!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,324 Member
    Good for you :bigsmile:
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    great story. those compliments will keep coming... get used to it!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!