HELP!! Not losing weight on 1400 calories

Options
dohayoussef123
dohayoussef123 Posts: 31 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I decided to up my calorie intake a week ago from 1200 to 1400 cal because I was hungry a lot. I calculated my TDEE and eating 1400 calories seems to be appropriate for me (female, 5'5, 133 pounds). I've been eating at 1400 calories for the past week and weighed myself today and haven't lost weight. I'm not upset, I'm just confused. I know I eat a lot of carbs, probably more than I should. Could that be it? I've also been working out 3/4 times a week doing moderate exercise. I'm also pretty happy with 1400 calories. I feel satisfied and not hungry all the time. Is 1 week too early to judge? Also, I know for a fact that I'm eating 1400 calories, because I've tracked EVERYTHING in MFP, so I know I'm not underestimating calories. Can someone please provide some advice.

Thanks

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You may just have to wait for your body to balance out.
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, one week is too early to judge. Try it for 4-6 weeks and reevaluate. Also, make nature you're weighing and measuring food so you can be confident you're not setting yourself backwards while you wait it out.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1 week is not enough time. Have more patience.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food though? Tracking is not accurate if you are using cups/estimating things, weighing food in grams is usually better.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    megsta91 wrote: »
    Yes, one week is too early to judge. Try it for 4-6 weeks and reevaluate. Also, make nature you're weighing and measuring food so you can be confident you're not setting yourself backwards while you wait it out.

All of this. If you aren't weighing your food, you really don't know that you're eating exactly 1400. But one week does not give you enough time to judge your goal, especially when you are already at a healthy weight.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    Yes, I make sure I weigh everything. So I guess I just need to give it a few weeks. Thanks guys :)
  • jessicajverner
    jessicajverner Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Salt intake has alot to do with it as well.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    Salt intake has alot to do with it as well.

Good point. I need to watch my salt intake. I'll definitely do that then. Thanks
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Also, it seems like you're probably within your healthy weight range, so losses usually take a little longer than when one is significantly overweight. (As a reference, I'm just half an inch taller than you, and right now my goal is set to 132 pounds. I can be healthy anywhere from 125 - 143 pounds, and losses tend to slow down the lower in that range I get.)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    nlmillervt wrote: »
    Also, it seems like you're probably within your healthy weight range, so losses usually take a little longer than when one is significantly overweight. (As a reference, I'm just half an inch taller than you, and right now my goal is set to 132 pounds. I can be healthy anywhere from 125 - 143 pounds, and losses tend to slow down the lower in that range I get.)

That's what I was thinking. I'm 5'7" and the scale hasn't budged from 150lbs. I eat 1330 calories everyday, and workout 2 hours a day/ 6 days a week. I'm in shape, but the number on the scale makes it seem like I'm plump. Once you stop focusing on that number, it's so much easier to stick with healthy eating and exercise.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're slowly transitioning into maintenance. That's good. Sure, you may not see the loss on the scale this week, because when you up your calories a little at a time, sometimes it takes the body a few weeks to adjust. But you should still be at a deficit at 1400 calories, so the slow losses should start up again soon.

Just remember that 0.5lbs/week isn't always visible on the scale, 'cause weight typically fluctuates more than that within the same day.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Sounds like you're slowly transitioning into maintenance. That's good. Sure, you may not see the loss on the scale this week, because when you up your calories a little at a time, sometimes it takes the body a few weeks to adjust. But you should still be at a deficit at 1400 calories, so the slow losses should start up again soon.

Just remember that 0.5lbs/week isn't always visible on the scale, 'cause weight typically fluctuates more than that within the same day.

Thanks for your response. That makes a lot of sense. I've also started strength training-not much, but I have started so that may be the reason too. I'll just give it time I guess :smile:

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Patience is key here. If it just happened in a week, we'd all be thin. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. That makes a lot of sense. I've also started strength training-not much, but I have started so that may be the reason too. I'll just give it time I guess :smile:

Yeah that could definitely be a factor. Good ol' DOMS.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    Gotta love the feeling. Experiencing it now haha
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Patience is key here. If it just happened in a week, we'd all be thin. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.

I agree. Will give it some time. Thanks :)