I decided to try supplements

Options
Personally, I had always felt those pills you take with each meal (or whatever schedule) to help curb your appetite and lose weight was a bunch of hooey. My theory being that they were just gimicks. All your nutritional and weightloss needs could be met with food, dedication and willpower. There were no miracles in a bottle.

Then I read this article on one of the fitness sites (wish I could find the link) , in essence stated, "in the olden days, most supplements were snake oil concoctions. However, nowadays version general come backed by real scientific study. Altho you can get most vitamins from your food, there are some combinations (super vitamins) you just can't easily get on your own. They are to be use in conjunction with diet and exercise to help maximize your benefits". Then he gave examples.

A few years back I had lost 60 lbs and had managed to keep it off. Then I switched my meds and was hungry all the time. I could not keep my hunger under control. Needless to say I have gained a good portion of that back. After signing up with a trainer, I decided to take his advice and go to the health shop and get some supplements. What could it hurt, right?

Wow,, for the first time in i do not know how long, my hunger was not out of control. In fact, I'm rarely hungry. Not only that but I started feeling more energetic after a couple of days of taking them. Best surprise of all was I had actually lost 2 lbs when I weighed myself on my weekly weigh in. I'm curious to see how my fat ratios go on the next check in also.

For myself, I will continue to use them along with my diet and excercise. If someone states they are snake oil and a person does not need them, it may depend on each persons situation.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope ...still snake oil
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    it honestly depends how you use them......just be careful what you take, and especially, if you are on prescription medication......let your doctor know if you feel any 'different' during day to day activities......headaches, upset stomach, blurred vision, loss of balance, etc......that kinda stuff. cause you never know how these unregulated supplements can affect you while taking prescription stuff.

i will say though, when i first started my weight loss journey back in september, 2 years ago, i got the hydroxycut, caffeine free and took 1 pill a day. it definitely helped me......it was more of a mindframe adjustment i think though.....lol. "ok, im taking this skinny pill now, so now i gotta be skinny, act skinny, and get skinny" etc kinda affect in my head.......if you get my drift.

they got all sorts of 'case studies' that were funded by their own manufacturer but no other public domain studies to prove the products actually help.......granted, i was following a calorie deficit with mfp......but really wasn't hungry.......but after the first bottle, i did kinda plateau.....the effects wore off.....but by then i was in the zone and where i am today......107 lbs down lol.....i think.....i miss the weight loss trackers from the old forums.....
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I was in Popeye's today and very nearly grabbed a bottle of CLA but decided it wasn't worth 50 bucks. Even if it does work I don't actually need it to lose weight. Maybe if I were training for an IBBF Pro Competition, I would be more interested in diet supplements but as it is, I'd rather save that $50 for something I really need.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Placebo effect.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    One of the problems with appetite suppressants is you'd better be prepared to take them for the rest of your life. Because how are you going to handle the cravings when you stop taking them?

My personal philosophy on weight loss is to not do anything I can't sustain indefinitely. I don't want to be on a 'diet'. Because when I go off the diet, I gain weight, because I never learned how to live regular life.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    More energetic and appetite suppressing? Sounds like a stimulant. Be careful with those if it's the case. Many contain ingredients not listed (mislabeled or otherwise), and in dangerous doses (again, not labeled). Dangerous snake oil, especially if they are "natural" or "herbal" (FDA does not regulate such things, as they are not considered food nor drug).

At BEST, supplements like this give placebo effect. At worst, they contain powerful stimulants that can be gravely dangerous to your health.