Staying on track while on a cruise with no internet for using app?

Options
At the end of the month I will be going on my first cruise. If I maintain or even gain a little on the cruise I won't be bothered. My main goal in using MFP is to eat more intuitively and nutritiously anyway. My main concern is that lack of internet access will keep me from tracking, because there is no way I'm paying for that expensive internet on board. Even though I will be unconcerned with calorie intake that week (it is vacation after all!) I still want to be able to have data on how I'm eating that week, and I still want to eat healthfully as possible. I don't drink sodas except as a rare treat and I drink very little alcohol, so I won't be purchasing any of the drink packages, which I expect will save me lots of empty calories. Anybody have tips for eating healthy on a cruise while still enjoying the delicious food? Should I just log with pen and paper and enter it all into MFP when I get home? I'll be on the Carnival Magic if that helps. B)

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Never been on a cruise, but read enough about them.

I would log with pen and paper, and guesstimate to the best of your ability.
    If there are buffets, load up on salad and veggies first, and if there is a good protein available, try to fill up on that as well. Don't skimp on dessert; have a small portion as well. You're on vacation, so don't feel like you need to eat healthy all the time!

I'd also take advantage of any pools, deck activities, or easy exercises you can do while you have some downtime.

And, most importantly...don't forget to have fun!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't log on cruises, but I guess if you wanted to the best way would be pen and paper. You'll be doing a ton of walking, try to do an active shore excursion, skip the elevators, don't eat dessert with every meal and enjoy your cruise! I like to eat in the dining room, even though there are several courses the portions are small and there's usually a healthy option, at least on the ships I've been on.
  • MsPearlSnaps
    MsPearlSnaps Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Y'all make good points about the amount of exercise a person can get on board a cruise! Thanks!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I didn't log on our cruise. There was always healthy food available. We endulged very little and I lost 3 pounds. We always took the stairs and passed on the decadent foods.

Always were salads and lean(ish) meats and fruit. I think you'll be fine. Do log in a journal, I think it'll be wise to see how you will eat without the accountability of MFP.
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's hard on vacations especially cruises with all the delicious foods! I've been on 3 and always gain a few, not good.
    Do as much walking as possible use the stairs even its like 6 flights lol my sister did this on our last one and lost 2 lbs
    And yes pick active excursions where a lot of walking is involved, that helps.
    Indulge a little to since ur on vacation a bite here and there. Fill up on the salads so you won't have much room for other stuff which helps with portion control on Unhealthy foods
    Have fun :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Not only am I not going to log, but I am going to eat whatever I want whenever I want. No way I'm gonna worry about that.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm going on my first cruise in May. I'll be on the Carnival Magic too! I'd love to hear about it. B) My plan is to have a great time, relax, and not mess up my progress too, too much.

I'm not going to worry about logging on to MFP (I'm happy to take a vacation from the Internet too). I plan on making decent food choices for the most part while allowing a little extra for desserts and special treats plus going on more active excursions (swimming in a cenote and snorkeling). And having fun. Because that's the point!

A pen and paper to write down what you're eating could meet your needs. You could try to track it when you return but it'd be pretty difficult to estimate portions. Still, the journaling could help you keep your mind on your goals without too many worries.

B) Yeah, Carnival Magic! I'd love an update on your experience when you get back!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    We took a short cruise last summer and have a 2nd cruise planned for this year…partially a reward for no longer being morbidly obese.

I was surprised how well I did. Like you, I wanted to be sure I didn’t go overboard (pun intended) and didn’t buy a drink or internet package.

All I did was watch portion size. I enjoyed all the food (using palm-sized portions), but didn’t go for seconds. Over an entire week I had 2-3 glasses of wine (the only alcohol I had in a year).

It is the only period of time since 2013 when I didn’t track “exactly.”
    I ate what I liked not “everything” just because it was there and I could. Many people here have given some good input about the walking, portions etc.

In the end – I did great and didn’t gain anything.

Good luck.

My own story is at: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

73641431.png

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love that you're thinking ahead.

I work in the travel industry and have cruised many times. Your ship should have a great gym, plenty of exercise opportunities and a variety of healthy food options! Lots of fresh fruit and veggies, omelet stations in the morning. The buffets typically offer more variety, but dining room will have smaller portions.
    I can't remember if the Magic has Guy's Burgers, they're delicious but super high in calories, so you may want to limit your visits!
    The dining rooms will post menus earlier in the day, so you can have an idea of what your options will be. The Italian restaurant has a nice pasta bar (complimentary) during lunch hours and the Mongolian wok offers stirfry options.

I'm always so busy onboard, I find that I rarely gain much.

Best wishes & Bon voyage:)
  • reggia09
    reggia09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was able to maintain while on a cruise. Actually, having all that delicious food AND having it prepared is what helped me. I simply made sure to choose fruit and/or veggies at every meal and then balanced out with protein and a few grains. I allowed myself a dessert daily.

I swam in the ship's pools or at beaches whenever in port. Most importantly, I walked the poop deck daily.

Have a great trip!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Don't panic if you feel like you have put on weight almost as soon as you start the cruise. It is water weight due to the sodium in the food.

Don't panic when you get home and weigh 5-8 lbs more than when you left, it is water weight. I give myself 2 weeks then see what the gain, if any, is.

I cruise the end of March and feel I know portion sizes well enough not to log.

You could keep a food log on the note pad on your smart phone. Easier than hauling a damp notepad around with you.

Relax, enjoy your food, and rely on the knowledge you have gained on MFP

Cheers, h