creating an effective recumbent bike routine?

Options
I recently got a recumbent bike. It has ten settings, like a regular bike, to make it more difficult to use. I dont really know what is best- doing it on a harder setting for shorter or a easy setting for longer? For effective calorie burning. How far does one usually go for a biking session? Its my main source of calorie burn in this crap winter weather.

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Id do intervals. Like two minutes at a high setting fast, then one minute at allow setting slow. Repeat till you want to die.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    its kind of a pain in the *kitten* to change the setting so i was hoping there was an easy answer but there never is lol
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    Bump
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I use this type of bike at the gym, and I love it. I usually mix it up by warming up, then go at a high resistance for one minute. After, I go down a few for another minute and then low as fast as I can. Then just repeat, or reverse order it. I just do it all manually by watching the time and hitting the buttons myself. Figure out what you like and works for you and then maybe see if you can create your own programme on it.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    I guess it would help if I understood all the target heart rate *kitten* I'm seeing online (when trying to make sure I'm working hard enough) BC my bike measures hr continuously but I don't get how you know your target hr