Strength training??

Options
Hi guys,

I'm a female, 5'5 and currently weigh 133 pounds. I wanted to lose another 13 or 14 pounds, but I am considered to be in the healthy range already. However, I'm not completely pleased with the way my body looks. Should I focus more on strength training then? When I lost the 17 pounds, I did more cardio then strength training. Would it be more ideal to focus on strength training right now?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, find a good program and if you like cardio do that on the off days. Check out starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting
  • dohayoussef123
    dohayoussef123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Yes, find a good program and if you like cardio do that on the off days. Check out starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting

Thanks man, will check those programs out.
  • roldanis
    roldanis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Good advice here. Running a strength program can allow you to burn fat without actually lose any weight, and as a bonus being stronger make life easier in general.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Probably. When you say you're not happy with your body, what do you mean? I generally agree with Eric, but could also be that your goal weight isn't what you thought it would be.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Probably. When you say you're not happy with your body, what do you mean? I generally agree with Eric, but could also be that your goal weight isn't what you thought it would be.

Meaning I'm not as toned as I'd like to be. I know I have lost fat because clothes fit better and people have noticed it. I just want to tone my legs and my stomach. I still have some fat to lose so was just wondering whether strength training would be enough.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes, As long as you don't take steroids or totally go ape with it strength training will only improve your looks. No one gets to be a female muscle hulk by accident.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It may be worth considering a personal trainer just to show you the basics first. Correct form is important to get the best muscle gains and prevent injury. It can also be a bit overwhelming walking into the weights room and not knowing what to do.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Meaning I'm not as toned as I'd like to be. I know I have lost fat because clothes fit better and people have noticed it. I just want to tone my legs and my stomach. I still have some fat to lose so was just wondering whether strength training would be enough.

Sounds like lifting + continued weight loss is what you're after.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options

Sounds like lifting + continued weight loss is what you're after.

So I guess strength training and cardio is the way to go? Should I focus more on one?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Well, a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, and high intensity exercise will help retain muscle as you lose. How you create your deficit and what exercise you do is largely to to you.