Maintain, then lose again

Options
My goal has been to maintain my weight before losing the final few lbs. Every time I try to up my calories a bit, my weight starts creeping back up again. I cut back just again, and I start to lose. I am increasing/decreasing 300-500 cal at a time. I also start adding back in the carbs when I try to maintain. I would like to lose a few more lbs, but for right now I wanted to give my body a break from losing- just need to refresh/recharge/re-energize a bit. What am I missing?

Replies

• danajacobs12
    danajacobs12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try to add only 100-200 calories if 300-500 is too much. Perhaps a piece of fruit or two in the afternoon.
  • MBL512
    MBL512 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is what I was thinking….maybe just 100-200 calories is what I should try. Thank you. I can't believe my body is that sensitive to the calories. For the life of me, I cannot maintain my current weight.
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How long are you giving maintenance before you cut back down again? Adding back the carbs could be causing water retention, but if you're giving it at least a month and the weight is still increasing then yeah, could be you're passing maintenance calories by a few 100.
  • MBL512
    Options
    I only give it 3-5 days before I cut back again. I don't think I could handle much longer when I see the scale going up again. I used to strictly carb restrict- alway under 20 gms/day. I have tried to not do this in recent months, as I do realize how much water weight I tend to lose and then put on. Trying to have a couple of low carb days, then a few days with higher carbs- always in the same calorie range though. I am guessing I should just increase by around 100 and see what happens.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    MBL512 wrote: »
    I only give it 3-5 days before I cut back again.

That right there might be the issue. From talking to people who've been in maintenance for a while, it seems to take a couple of weeks for most people to adjust to the higher calorie number. Maybe be a bit more patient?
  • MBL512
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    MBL512 wrote: »
    I only give it 3-5 days before I cut back again.

That right there might be the issue. From talking to people who've been in maintenance for a while, it seems to take a couple of weeks for most people to adjust to the higher calorie number. Maybe be a bit more patient?

I guess I get scared that the weight will continue to climb, so I cut out the extra calories. I quickly react to be sure that I am in my current "safe" range. My ultimate goal is to drop the final 5-6 lbs, but I really have been trying for a month to maintain. Instead, I bounce up and down by a 3-4 lb range.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you only add carbs or adding the same percentage of what you were eating when you were in a deficit?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Add a 100, wait a week or two, add another 100, repeat. Do this until you figure out your true maintenance.
  • MBL512
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Are you only add carbs or adding the same percentage of what you were eating when you were in a deficit?
    I think I am somewhat reckless in how I add back in the carbs. I am adding back in at a higher percentage compared to what I had been eating. I tend to eat a very high lean protein diet with veggies. I need to run the numbers a bit more carefully.

Anybody who increases their calories (especially if you've been doing low carb and then stop) is going to see an increase on the scale. Your body needs water to process the extra food. It's the same water you lose on your first week of a diet. Also, when you eat more, your body has more "waste" in it because you've processed more food. You are going to gain a bit of weight. the good news is that the weight gain is temporary (and it's not fat, just water). The bad news is that it can take up to a month for your body to adjust and your weight to go back down, Patience is definitely needed for maintenance. And, if you think about it, the definition of maintenance is long-term so a few weeks or months aren't too much to ask for your body to adjust.

You are right…..I never celebrate that first week's weight loss, as I know it ultimately means nothing in the end. It's just water losses. Feels good, but I know it means nothing. I am only wanting to maintain for a few weeks. I have a goal weight in mind, but just needed to take some time to recharge from the weight loss.

auddii wrote: »

Thank you. This information is very clear and just what I needed to read. I also understand that if I want to maintain, I need to overshoot by a few lbs so that my maintenance will be where I want it. So, back to losing again (for now).

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Add a 100, wait a week or two, add another 100, repeat. Do this until you figure out your true maintenance.

Yes, I think my problem was adding back in 300-500 so quickly. I am going to take all of the advice and come up with a better, more sustainable plan.

Thanks everyone!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat ..I've switched to maintenance but I'm undereating by about 1000 over the week ...I'm hoping to lessen this gap over time ...I'm continuing to weigh everything as well as me and if I can't explain the fluctuations after a couple of weeks I'll adjust again

I think it's a bit difficult to adjust my mindset at the moment but I'll get there I hope
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Increase 100 calories, wait at least 2 weeks, weigh.

Continue until you stop losing.
  • MBL512
    Options
    Yep- I hear you. My weekly deficit is great enough that I should be losing, but I am not. I am gaining instead. I will plan to stay off the scale for a week and just see what happens. I am allowing the numbers on the scale to get into my head. I hope things work out for you!