Breakfast

Options
Looking for good breakfast ideas? Something that will keep you full for awhile

Replies

• propagate
    propagate Posts: 26
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Plantains are pretty good for breakfast. I would just wrap one with paper towel, put it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Then I take it out of the towel and peel, slice them up in bite size pieces and eat it with a little butter. I got this idea from my mom and I've never seen anyone else do it before. Yeah it's odd... but its cheap and really filling!
  • bibi1817
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    How many calories do you want to spend on breakfast?
  • bibi1817
    Options
    Good question about 500
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like müssli, which I learned how to make in Switzerland.

In advance, take plain uncooked Oatmeal (not instant) and add what you like. I put in some type of dried fruit (raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, etc) and nuts (usually almonds and walnuts). I have also added protein powder but found that unnecessary for my needs and I plan to add some type of fiber booster (maybe wheat or oat bran) to my next batch. I also toss in one small box of off the shelf granola (for two large boxes of oats) which gives it a little crunch and just enough sweetness for me. Store this mixture in some type of container.

In the morning I put 2/3 cup of the mixture in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt and stir. I set it in the fridge while I do my morning walk. When I get back I splash in 1/4 cup skim milk to loosen it up (as the oats have absorbed some of the yoghurt) and enjoy.

This is very versatile since not only can each batch be different but you can also change up in the morning by adding cinnamon, nutmeg, berries, grated fresh apple or pear (grated apple is very common in Switzerland), etc.

Rolled Oates give a softer texture and steel cut a grainier texture depending on your taste.

• MickeyCastello
    MickeyCastello Posts: 269
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That leaves a lot of room. I find hot cereals work for me. Try 1/2 cup (Uncooked) Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cooked with 1&1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, splenda or stevia to sweeten it and throw some fruit in. That should get you there. Oatmeal can do it too.
    Another suggestion: 2 large AA eggs, 2 Jimmy Dean's turkey sausages, 1 slice of seeded wheat toast and a medium banana.
    Give those a whirl.
    You can create some good ones on your own. Just put stuff in your diary, and see what gets you to 500 calories. Adjust quantities to get there, or delete stuff and put in new items, until you find a few meals that like and meet your macros. Good luck.
  • lunabella76
    lunabella76 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I either make a protein smoothie or have a banana and a Kashi bar. It depends on how much time I have. Oatmeal is also a go to if I have the time.
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do lower surgery oatmeal very good
  • bibi1817
    Options
    I think oatmeal seems like the go to breakfast. Thanks for all your advice everyone!
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    bibi1817 wrote: »
    Good question about 500

I tend to take a shot of wheatgrass in juice after/before my breakfast and it seems to give me fuel & good skin.

I eat different types of breakfast but the one that keeps me full for longer is
    1. Greek yoghurt with slices of fruit (like in my pic)
    2. Weetabix bars, I sometimes add peanut butter or honey to them + warm milk of course.
  • bibi1817
    Options
    That leaves a lot of room. I find hot cereals work for me. Try 1/2 cup (Uncooked) Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cooked with 1&1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, splenda or stevia to sweeten it and throw some fruit in. That should get you there. Oatmeal can do it too.
    Another suggestion: 2 large AA eggs, 2 Jimmy Dean's turkey sausages, 1 slice of seeded wheat toast and a medium banana.
    Give those a whirl.
    You can create some good ones on your own. Just put stuff in your diary, and see what gets you to 500 calories. Adjust quantities to get there, or delete stuff and put in new items, until you find a few meals that like and meet your macros. Good luck.

All of these sound great thanks
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Today I had a baked sweet potato with a little feta, plain yogurt, cooked ground turkey, hot sauce (ran out of hot peppers lol), and 3 lightly poached eggs. I piled everything onto the potato for my own version of a loaded potato. The whole breakfast was 46g protein and 27 g fat. It was a bit larger volume breakfast than I do on a daily basis, but it's very filling and will keep me full for hours. I'll be set for the day being able to go with smaller meals to stay in my macros and calorie limit. You could do a smaller potato and 2 eggs and get your 500 calories. Mine totaled 635 for the whole thing.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This morning I had coffee with creamer, a hard boiled egg, and 1/2 a cup of Greek Gods Honey Vanilla greek yogurt and 15 grams of Bear Naked Chocolate Elation Granola. That's 339 calories. I like to keep my breakfasts small.

You could eat another egg and I sometimes add a TBS of chia seeds to the yogurt. That would add another 132 calories. Maybe throw in some berrues or other fruit.