Need a salty snack:)

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Does anyone have any good ideas for low carb/fat/cal/ salty snacks. I eat smoked almonds sometimes, but I have been really craving something salty and crunchy.

Also, is light popcorn bad for you? I;ve read it has a really high glycemic index.

Replies

• mjj79
    Options
    Does anyone have any good ideas for low carb/fat/cal/ salty snacks. I eat smoked almonds sometimes, but I have been really craving something salty and crunchy.

Also, is light popcorn bad for you? I;ve read it has a really high glycemic index.
  • aliciask
    Options
    I crave salt all the time!! If you have whole grain french mustard
    it has to be whole grain, then grab yourself some whole wheat or whole grain pretzels and dip away! Its crunchy, a little hot, and slightly salty.

I also crave chicken wings----which are oh so bad for you. But,I have a solution: Pop some fat free microwave popcorn and sprinkle Frank's Red Hot on top. Gives you the buttery spiciness of a buffalo wing without the guilt! Sounds weird, but it really tastes yummy!!

I'm not so sure about the glycemic index question, though. I do know that popcorn releases an endorphin-ike substance in your body while you at it, and endorphins make you feel good. It's similar to the way chocolate works its endorphin like magic in the body's systems.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Someone on this site suggested I try edamame and I found it in my whole foods store roasted and salted. it sure seems like a good crave buster for me 1/4 cup shelled has 45 calories 7 carbs and 1 gram of fat.
  • amarcu02
    Options
    When I need something salty, I reach for some whole wheat pitas and salsa.

Grab a few whole wheat pita halves, tear them apart if pre-cut pockets or cut in half for thinner product.
    Align cut side up on a baking sheet. Shoot with some Pam cooking spray. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bake at 400deg. just until pitas turn brown.
    I take the juice of half a lime and squeeze into my salsa for more flavor...plus the acid in the fruit helps break up what little fat is in pitas....enjoy. Very yummy. I don't even miss the chips.
  • steev
    steev Posts: 11
    Options
    I switched from potato chips to pita chips. I now eat Stacy's Simply Naked Pita chips.

1 serving is about 14 chips and has:

130 Cal
    5g fat
    270mg sodium
    19g carbs

everything else is negligible.

Not sure that is what you are looking for but I love them.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Chicken Wings aren't really bad for you... its the frying, the sauce and condiments.

You can bake your own wings in the oven using your own sauces.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Thanks! These are great ideas. Although, I did just goof BIG time and eat 1 1/2 servings of regular potato chips. :frown:
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    be careful with the chicken wings even if you bake them. They are almost all skin
    4 ounces of wings is 136 caloried and 10 grams of fat.

I bake my own tortilla chips and they are 110 calories for 24 chips and then salsa witch is 10 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    be careful with the chicken wings even if you bake them. They are almost all skin
    4 ounces of wings is 136 caloried and 10 grams of fat.

I bake my own tortilla chips and they are 110 calories for 24 chips and then salsa witch is 10 calories for 2 tablespoons.

yes but life isn't about deprivation, its about moderation.
  • amkeiser
    Options
    OK Buffalo Wing lovers - ever tried these:

Buffalo Wing Pretzel chips by the snack factory - 110 cal for 10 - and that is quite a few -

They get the HOT / SPICEY / SALTY / CRUNCHY crave for me every time - I could eat the whole bag - so parcel them out! Got them at WalMart
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I LOVE buffalo ANYTHING! In fact, I made up a recipe for Stuffed Buffalo Meatballs. I'll post them on the recipe area. No idea how good/bad they are for you, but, when I make them, I have to triple the recipe for parties. They fly off the plate. I buy Franks Red Hot by the Costco jug! It's full of sodium but it's a weakness of mine. I like to make my own, healthier version, of "hot wings." I'll get chicken tenderloins, bread them myself, spray them with olive oil, then bake them. Then I'll toss them in Franks and dip them in reduced fat blue cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

For salty snacks I like to have 1 wedge of Laughing cow light cheese with 1 serving of a high fiber cracker.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) there are a ton of recipes on line. To me they have a similar texture as corn nuts :) mmmmmmm
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I can't be the first one can I?
  • rladd6421
    Options
    I'm a popcorn girl, but not microwave, has to be over the stove.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »

• KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this fits your plan but I love simply 7 quinoa chips for a satay snack. Dried edemame also. Wasabi flavor!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Steamed or boiled asparagus, with a bit of lemon juice on it, under a soft boiled egg. It's not handy, though.
  • Khalstead0517
    Khalstead0517 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make buffalo wing dip with lowfat creaam cheese,boneless,skinless breasts,wing sauce and just a smidge of ranch yogurt dip over the top....you can dip celery,carrots,cucumbers,or tortilla chips...it totally cures my craving for hot wings with not nearly the amount of fat!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    chips and salsa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn because of its volume and I checked, it's glycemic load is REALLY LOW.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2
    Makes sense. Corn has a habit of going on straight through.
    Enjoy it freely.