Need some flavor!

Options
I have never tried to diet before by eating heathier. In the past I've just worked extra hard at the gym so I could eat what I want , but I would like to find a nice balance between working out and eating so I dont have to spend 3 hours at the gym so if anyone could give me some recipes that taste great I would love to put them to use, but first and for most they must have some flavor, LOL! I bought a recipe book with healthy meals in it and everyone I've tried so far tast so bland and I'm starting to wonder whats worse bland food or a muffin top! LOL!

Replies

• moni915
    Options
    I have never tried to diet before by eating heathier. In the past I've just worked extra hard at the gym so I could eat what I want , but I would like to find a nice balance between working out and eating so I dont have to spend 3 hours at the gym so if anyone could give me some recipes that taste great I would love to put them to use, but first and for most they must have some flavor, LOL! I bought a recipe book with healthy meals in it and everyone I've tried so far tast so bland and I'm starting to wonder whats worse bland food or a muffin top! LOL!
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    Options
    hello
    my husband does a lot of bar-Q which helps alot
    he has maded some soups and to us they taste good cals per cup 351 low in sodium fat about 8 gms with a salad its a great meal doesn't sit in your stomach all night
    betty
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    if you love pizza i tried this and it was great definatley satisfied the craving
    2 whole wheat pitas
    1/4 cup ragu pizza sauce
    chopped onion and green pepper
    canned mushrooms
    1/4 cup low fat mozzerella cheese
    bake in oven or pizza oven
    just over 330 cals
    good luck
    also ive tried wraps
    grilled chicken with tons of veggies, red pepper, green pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, red onion
    yum all wrapped in a low carb tortilla. marinated chicken breast adds a lot of flavor. hope this helps.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I use this on chicken
    cuman
    salt
    pepper
    chili powder
    garlic
    thyme
    basil
    coriander
    rub all over chicken and bake.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos! I season a talapia fillet with cajun seasoning, and lemon pepper. In a nonstick pan I put half a TBLS olive oil, 1 smashed garlic clove and some red pepper flakes or a jalapeno. Warm the oil to get it flavored with the garlic and pepper usually about 2 min on a low setting. Remove the garlic and jalapeno or pepper flakes with a slotted spoon. Turn the heat up to get the pan hot. Place fish in pan and cook until you see the edges cooking and the the bottom side is browned, flip and continue until thoroughly cooked. Break up the filet and put it into corn tortillas, add a squeeze of lemon, add diced white onion, chopped cilantro and salsa, mango salsa is really good too!
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Stuffed portabello mushroom cap. I brown Italian flavored ground turkey, add a bit of your favorite marinara sauce. Fill the mushroom and top with provolone or parmesan cheese. Bake in oven until cheese is golden brown.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Sweet Italian chicken sausage links cooked with sliced bell peppers and onions. I always add a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes because I like things spicy. I sometimes add other veggies too. Mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, or I add some diced tomatoes from a can. If using canned tomatoes I usually add garlic and basil too. I usually serve it with a salad and a piece of french bread if my calories allow it for the day.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Chipotle turkey burgers. Puree a can of chipotles in adobo sauce. Use the whole can with the sauce. Season ground turkey with garlic powder, onion, powder, salt and pepper. Add some of the chipotle puree to taste depending on how spicy you like things. Form patties and brush the outside of the patties with more or the chipotle puree. Grill, bake or cook in non stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. I serve mine on whole wheat buns with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and avacado.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Buffalo egg rolls. I use leftover rotisserie chicken shredded and mixed with franks red hot sauce (i use a lot) and laughing cow cheese wedges. Put in egg roll wrappers and roll them up. . Spray them with cooking oil and put on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake until crispy and serve with ranch ( I mix ranch dip packet with plain greek yogurt) and extra hot sauce for dipping.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seasonings! I don't eat bland food, I eat what I always have, in moderation.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Herbs and spices go a long way toward livening up bland food without adding extra calories. Experiment with different ones and see what you like. Also, citric acids like lemon or lime juice work well too.
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We use a lot of fresh herbs. Adds tons of taste with no calories.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the recipes on this site? A lot of very tasty and flavorful dishes!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a mortar and pestle, and a coffee grinder. Then go buy fresh dried rosemary, thyme, fennel, curry powder and tarragon. Also buy some raw sunflower and sesame seeds. I use the grinder for the herbs only, no coffee. The fennel has to be ground pretty fine, same with the rosemary. The sesame seeds are great if you toast them fresh. These are all my go to for flavorful dishes.
  • rladd6421
    Options
    I use spice in pretty much everything. Alot of jalapeno, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, hot hungarian paprika. Play around with some seasonings and find the ones you like
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like, just less.