What causes the smell of ammonia when you work out and how do you stop it?

Options
2»

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My wife has noticed and said something to me about how I smell as well. I told her it was just an old person smell but she says its related to my workouts. She hasn't described it as an ammonia smell, however.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm in the sweaty, sweaty girl club. . .it's just genetics. With a lot of sweat, you get smell. I wash my workout clothes, every single, stinking time with a healthy dash of vinegar in the washer water and I try to stay downwind of people when I'm running and shower immediately as soon as I get in.

I am also a heavy sweater but the ammonia thing is a separate issue for me. The ammonia has went away after time, the heavy sweating remained.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Lack of carbs usually

I've experienced it on high levels of carbs, like 50-60% but have also not experienced it at 40%.
  • sabalsam844
    Options
    Ammonia is released in sweat when amino acids (protein) are broken down for enery. What are your macros currently set as? Are you getting enough carbs and fat?

My current diet breaks down as 50% carbs 25% fat 25% protein.

Also depending on how I feel, I will eat a banana just before leaving the house for the gym. It takes between 15 and 20 minutes to get there.

And what is your current total daily calorie intake (sorry, should have asked in my previous post)?

I was eating about 2200 calories a day, and I just increased that to 2650 a day because of the added activity.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Are you taking BCAAs or a protein shake right before or during your workout? I've had this become more pronounced when I used to take BCAAs. I think it's because there are readily usable amino acids right there for the burning so they get used as fuel first and end up making you smell ammonia-y.

But I could be totally wrong.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I get that ammonia smell too on my runs after several miles, even though I have a normal 50% carb, 20% protein ratio. It hasn't killed me yet, but I'll let everyone know if it does! :smiley:

Seriously though, I just chalk it up to burning through glycogen stores and the body beginning to switch to fat burning mode. I may be right, I may be wrong. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    When you're eating at a calorie deficit your body is likely to be low on stored carbohydrates (glycogen) for fuel. Absent this, the body will break down amino acids for fuel, converting parts of it to glucose and the rest to waste. The ammonia is a waste byproduct.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    sometimes it is the material, I can not wear the "nike running shorts" or any type of new materials. I palyed soccer for years with no funk, so I switched to cotton and my soccer type shorts with no funk when I work out and run now. I am funk free :)
  • Makatees
    Makatees Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had that a few times! I sweat excessively, but somehow I don't ever get that typical underarm odor. After a workout, however, I smell like an industrial grade cleaning product because of the ammonia stench! I did a bit of research and it's the protein being broken down. Some say it helps to take in some carbs about half an hour before working out.
  • takumar
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ammonia is released in sweat when amino acids (protein) are broken down for enery. What are your macros currently set as? Are you getting enough carbs and fat?
    Usually this. But in some cases it's also issues with your liver or kidneys. A check up on this wouldn't hurt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Years ago I was finishing my first Boot Camp and had the annual physical. Bloodwork came back with muscle enzymes twice the max on one and five times max on another. I didn't doubt it as I was pretty sore for weeks. I thought it was odd that sweat didn't taste or smell salty towards end of BC. The doctor's concern was that it might be a kidney generated as I only have one. To be certain bloodwork tested two months later and the two enzymes were back in normal range. Since then no recurrence to that degree- soreness or ammonia.
  • lyndseyryan511
    lyndseyryan511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I doubt this could be it because youre a man but the woman that mentioned it happened to her after returning to running after a pregnancy makes me think it MIGHT be related possibly? I noticed this same smell when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, went away after pregnancy, returned while prego with my 4th, now occasionally after working out, heavy cleaning day, whatever I'll notice it. I researched a lot on the matter and found out that the smell of urine can give a strong ammonia smell. Happens of course from weak bladder leaking trace amounts throughout the day or a hard workout. Just thought I would mention it just in case :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I doubt this could be it because youre a man but the woman that mentioned it happened to her after returning to running after a pregnancy makes me think it MIGHT be related possibly? I noticed this same smell when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, went away after pregnancy, returned while prego with my 4th, now occasionally after working out, heavy cleaning day, whatever I'll notice it. I researched a lot on the matter and found out that the smell of urine can give a strong ammonia smell. Happens of course from weak bladder leaking trace amounts throughout the day or a hard workout. Just thought I would mention it just in case :)

Thanks. I had a c-section so haven't had any issues with that. Or at least not that I am aware of.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I also realize I'm not getting it any more and my fitness has gotten better.