GIRLS TOM help

This is the first time I've had my period since being on this diet properly, it started today, and I have just felt SO sluggish, and i feel like my belly is so big! Is this normal? I've neevr really taken notice of how my body changes during TOM. I feel like I've put on about 10lbs!! I'm not going to weigh myself obviously. I've been drinking tons of water etc but still feel so bloated. Do you all get that? Will I go back to feeling smaller again right after it's gone away? Urgh being a girl sucks sometimes!

Replies

• I am right there with you! Mine came today too. Ugh! and I never noticed how bloated I felt before either. This is my 2nd one since being on MFP and I learned the first time not to weight myself for several days bc it was really upsetting. It does go back down tho(belly and weight) so hang in there. :wink:
  • TurtlesRule
    TurtlesRule Posts: 53
    Yes it does suck major:explode: !!! lol and hells yeah I feel like a ton heavier like I can't move :angry: well try sitting in a sauna for a bit help sweat off the extra water you've retained?? Helps me :happy:
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    try eating salt free foods sodium can be a killer tom, i know how salt impacts me like that and i feel the same way tom. just keep drinking alot of water
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Yes to all!

Basically, my weight will stay the same that week and then I see a big loss the following week. Just keep making good food choices and doing some moderate exercise and you will be fine!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    I defintely know when TOM is on its way! I look like I am pregnanat again! It really sucks and is a real downer! I jsut keep trucking along and try to eat as healthy as I can and not overly indulge in the urges of junk food. I drink lots of water as usual and try to keep exercising though it is tough since I bleed really heavy sometimes. Hang in there, it will pas, every month, I swear!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    I gain between 5 and 7 lbs the week I have TOM- it sucks!!!!
    I just had mine after 23 months (thank you breastfeeding) and I swear it was the death of me. Nothing fit and I literally gained 7lbs. it was so disheartening!!!
    Luckily its all gone now
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Yup, Im currently on my TOM and I didnt weigh in yesterday cause of the bloating.. other than this I still workout cause it helps with the cramping :)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    yep! You're not crazy. I don't even weigh around my TOM. It has put up to 6 lbs more on me. Good thing is once you are off and you weigh, you'll notice a big difference. I just wouldn't suggest weighing right before or during. Feel better :)
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    I get it - Time of Month - here I thought it had something to do with my name.

No bloating here. Perhaps because my name is Tom.

Man, that puts a whole new spin on my name. Perhaps I'll start going by Thomas.

Here's to hoping your TOM goes away and leaves you back to normal soon.

Tom
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    yep on tom too just started and im getting all the above on it....i just try to exercise through it and pay attention to what i eat.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've given up on the idea of even losing weight during mine and I had TWO this month thanks to my doctor recommending I go off the pill to make sure it wasn't causing another issue.

While I don't usually gain weight during mine, it seems no matter what I do, the weight just hangs on until it's all over, then it starts to drop off. Put your head down, try not to give in to emotional eating or cravings and hide the scale until a few days after it's done.
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Thank you! You are all sweethearts I feel much better now :)
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    I suffer from PMDD and between the weight gain, cramps, and fatigue it totally kills me. I usually get my symptoms about a week to week and a half before "D" day. I had to weigh in Monday for my challenge but while I was disappointed at what I saw I was relieved that the weight gain wasn't too bad this time around and I think MFP has really helped with that because my cravings can get the best of me which I totally go off the rails. smiley-eatdrink020.gif

Good luck!

~Leslie
  • I gained 4lbs at the end of last week and I am blaming my TOM because I was bloated for several days and just felt miserable and I can already tell that I look and feel a whole lot better just 5 days later.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    TOM is the worst for me. I feel extremely bloated and crave everything sweet. I would recommend drinking lots of water to help your muscles flush out any toxins or if you are retaining water, try water pills.
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    I think it happens to all females. Our body retains water during our TOM. But its only water, so dont get discouraged. Your weight should stabalize once its done. But I know what you mean. Mine is hitting soon and I already feel the bloat and the chocolate cravings. arrrgghhhh!!!