running trainer ios

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
Hello,

is there something like a running trainer for iOS? I don't want music but record the distance I'm doing at preferably what speed. If this app also gives some advice on improvement, like give a beep for x distance running, x distance walking with auto adjustments (I think I can run 200m at the moment), then that would be great.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just search the app store there's many from Runtastic, runkeeper, endomondo, map my run they're all slightly different so it's personal choice what works for you
  • yirara
    Options
    True, but having some names already is nice. I downloaded one earlier, signed up on their service and only found out then that the app was completely useless without in-app purchases. I'd prefer personal recommendations to prevent this from happening again.
  • yirara
    Options
    Hmm.. those that you recommend seem to be tracking the route, which is nice, but don't have any training module included, right? I'm looking for something that also tells me to try and run for 30 seconds, then walk for a minute, etc..
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hmm.. those that you recommend seem to be tracking the route, which is nice, but don't have any training module included, right? I'm looking for something that also tells me to try and run for 30 seconds, then walk for a minute, etc..

I use runnkeeper. It does that.

• yirara
    Options
    Really? I'll give it another look. It requires signing up again, that's why I'm asking.
  • yirara
    Options
    No other suggestions for an app?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Strava is popular. I've never tried it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with Runkeeper, but Nike+ Running app has become my favorite. Tracks your route, distance, average pace, and shows your mile splits when you're done. You can set it to tell you your pace and distance every 5 minutes, or every mile, etc. It will automatically tell you when you're run your fastest mile, 1k, 5k, and so on as well.

If you're looking for something to train you for a certain distance with a combo of running and walking, try a c25k or 10k trainer app. Lots of free ones, and they work great.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks again. I'm really looking for something that combines both, a tracker and a trainer. c25k looks really nice, but it doesn't tell me the distance and/or speed over time and I do need stats to stay motivated pretty much in everything I do.
  • yirara
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I now tried Runkeeper, but I'm not sure what the app actually did. When I said I want to start the training program it told me it starts in two days and gave me a button to run now. Which I did.. It started with 5 minutes slow (whatever that meant) and then 2.4km running or something like that (I didn't get that far). So what was that? What was I supposed to do?

The trainings part also seems to have fixed training days, and a fixed end date which is not useful for me as we have frequent dust storms during which it would be foolish to go outside. Plus I have mild asthma and might not be able to run each day that app beeps at me.

edit: just looked at the runkeeper website, but whatever I did didn't show up there. Hmpf.

So.. how does it work exactly?