Flavoured water

Options
98% of the water I drink everyday is flavoured with something, wether it be coffee, tea, lemon, cucumber, or sugar free concentrated flavouring.

My mom tells me water stops serving it's purpose of flushing out your system if you add anything to it. Is that true? If it is, how come I still pee so much ??

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No it is not true. Just because something is added, doesn't mean it magically is no longer water.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I drink water with Mio drops. It's mostly water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your mom doesn't know what she thinks she knows

Just smile and nod
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your mom doesn't know what she thinks she knows

Just smile and nod

Hahaha! Thanks. Will do. :wink:
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There's some question as to if coffee might be somewhat dehydrating, but I seriously doubt a cucumber is going to affect anything.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The dehydrating effect of tea or coffee is minimal compared to the hydrating effects of the water it's made with. Doctors agree that all fluids count as part of your 8 'glasses' a day, not just water. However, alcohol IS dehydrating.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic Excerpt: Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Snopes Excerpt: Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water, coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.

"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal amounts of it. It is not."

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    angiewf wrote: »
    The dehydrating effect of tea or coffee is minimal compared to the hydrating effects of the water it's made with. Doctors agree that all fluids count as part of your 8 'glasses' a day, not just water. However, alcohol IS dehydrating.

I wouldn't know. I don't drink alcohol. Ever. I just eat lots of chocolate. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No, its not true.