Gain back rant

Options
Hello mfp world! Over the last few years I have used mfp religiously to looks almost 50lbs. Well about 6 months ago my wonderful boyfriend and some of his amazing kidlets moved in pushing me from "single" lifestyle into family mode. Help! I've gained back about 20lbs since then and am starting to feel desperate!!! Getting back on the horse becomes more and more difficult. I try so hard with limited success to stay away from the foods once not allowed in my pantry and to make my workouts but with 2 boys in hockey an d other activities coordinating 4 schedules is proving difficult for this new pseudo parent! I have managed to keep 2 out of my 3 or 4 workouts a week but am really struggling to fit in #3 as the class is during my stepsons taekwondo class and because the bf works late I'm the ride. Any advice out there?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to get up earlier than everyone and get your workout in then. One hour makes a huge difference. You can slowly get your body used to getting up earlier by starting with just fifteen minutes and doing a little 10 min work out and building up minutes daily until you are at your full hour and can devote that time to just yourself. Remember, you need "you time" no matter what life throws at you. Good luck!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is made in the kitchen. You don't need to work out to lose weight. You're getting in some exercise, which is awesome, but focus more on staying within your calorie goal and worry less about getting in more exercise which is really difficult for you right now. You didn't say anything about your food or calorie intake. How are they going?
  • mgaje
    mgaje Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Weight loss is made in the kitchen. You don't need to work out to lose weight. You're getting in some exercise, which is awesome, but focus more on staying within your calorie goal and worry less about getting in more exercise which is really difficult for you right now. You didn't say anything about your food or calorie intake. How are they going?

I recently was recalculated by mfp to 1580 due to the weight gain usually I'm within it but I have noticed more mindless snacking particularly when stressed or upset. I think the hardest part had been the food part you are right. With a limited budget and 3 other tastes to worry about I don't eat as clean as I used to also.
  • mgaje
    Options
    My only advice is to get up earlier than everyone and get your workout in then. One hour makes a huge difference. You can slowly get your body used to getting up earlier by starting with just fifteen minutes and doing a little 10 min work out and building up minutes daily until you are at your full hour and can devote that time to just yourself. Remember, you need "you time" no matter what life throws at you. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice I have been trying to be more diligent with my me time and now that I found a 3 rd activity I like I'm hoping I can stick to making time for it. Sometimes I wish adult activities started a little later lol
  • mgaje
    Options
    Also maybe being more diligent with portions sizes ? I could be eating more than I think I am.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    mgaje wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »

I recently was recalculated by mfp to 1580 due to the weight gain usually I'm within it but I have noticed more mindless snacking particularly when stressed or upset. I think the hardest part had been the food part you are right. With a limited budget and 3 other tastes to worry about I don't eat as clean as I used to also.

Yup, it's the mindless snacking and eating that can really throw you off track. That's why I like logging everything I eat-it keeps me mindful of the calories. How about having healthy and low cal snacks available all the time? Veggies and lite dip, apple slices, no salt and air popped popcorn are all easy and they'd be good for the whole family too.
  • mgaje
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    Yup, it's the mindless snacking and eating that can really throw you off track. That's why I like logging everything I eat-it keeps me mindful of the calories. How about having healthy and low cal snacks available all the time? Veggies and lite dip, apple slices, no salt and air popped popcorn are all easy and they'd be good for the whole family too.

The pop corn idea is a good one. I'm trying to not snack after 8 pm and drink more water as well seem to be having some success at forming these new habits
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hey there honey, all the personal readjustments to a new relationship and finding yourself in a parenting role is a huge deal......getting your head around their way of doing things and running after kiddies is never easy, so congratulations on finding love and working so hard hard to make this situation work.

From what I have read of your replies is sounds as though you have found the answers yourself, maybe you are eating (in the form of snacks) more than you realise and now that you have that insight it will easier to make adjustments and keep your eye on that issue. Have you thought about pre-preparing veggie sticks and weighed portions of some lower calorie snacks so you have something you can just reach out and grab.

Between scrupulous logging, changing your some of your snacks to less calorific ones and getting in as much exercise as you enjoy and can find time for without stressing yourself over it will see you right I am sure. You said about not eating as clean as before....maybe you could start introducing your new family to some meal ideas and foods that were personal favourites of yours beforehand you never know they may really come around and enjoy less processed foods.

All the best.
  • mgaje
    Options
    Hey there honey, all the personal readjustments to a new relationship and finding yourself in a parenting role is a huge deal......getting your head around their way of doing things and running after kiddies is never easy, so congratulations on finding love and working so hard hard to make this situation work.

From what I have read of your replies is sounds as though you have found the answers yourself, maybe you are eating (in the form of snacks) more than you realise and now that you have that insight it will easier to make adjustments and keep your eye on that issue. Have you thought about pre-preparing veggie sticks and weighed portions of some lower calorie snacks so you have something you can just reach out and grab.

Between scrupulous logging, changing your some of your snacks to less calorific ones and getting in as much exercise as you enjoy and can find time for without stressing yourself over it will see you right I am sure. You said about not eating as clean as before....maybe you could start introducing your new family to some meal ideas and foods that were personal favourites of yours beforehand you never know they may really come around and enjoy less processed foods.

All the best.

Thanks for the encouragement :smile:
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Also maybe being more diligent with portions sizes ? I could be eating more than I think I am.

Ah.

This means that you are not measuring and/or logging everything. Since you've been on MFP for months, I won't have to tell you what are the consequences, and what should be done about it.

I suggest you fix this (i.e. knowing how many cals you ACTUALLY eat) before even thinking about the rest.

• mgaje
    Options

Ah.

This means that you are not measuring and/or logging everything. Since you've been on MFP for months, I won't have to tell you what are the consequences, and what should be done about it.

I suggest you fix this (i.e. knowing how many cals you ACTUALLY eat) before even thinking about the rest.

Indeed I have a feeling I did slip into some old not so brilliant habits without truly noticing and need to be more aware. Thanks for the post and added accountability.