Looking for a good heart rate monitor

Options
Hi everyone,

So I am in the market for a heart rate monitor to track my heart rate and calories burned - but I'm a bit lost on which one to actually buy. I've been looking at some products from Wahoo and Garmin.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you do?
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I very much enjoy my Fitbit Charge HR.
  • GirlOnAMission00
    Options
    What exercises do you do?

When it isn't winter, I like to run outdoors and sometimes I will bike. Right now I am stuck in the gym so it's a mix of anything.
  • GirlOnAMission00
    Options
    I very much enjoy my Fitbit Charge HR.

I once had the Fitbit tracker, not the HR one. But, I found it wasn't accurate, so I am trying to stay away from Fitbit. The one I had would spontaneously track activities that wasn't happening when I wasn't wearing it.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You can use a Polar, Garmin, Wahoo, or Mio sensor for accurate HR data. For caloric estimation, it comes down to what you use to calculate. Look for a watch or app that incorporates either the ability to input an externally tested VO2 max level or that has a test to approximate that important data point. Running and cycling lend themselves to more accurate estimations than things like Zumba, walking ... lifting and yoga are not going to produce accurate caloric estimations from HR data.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I have a Polar ft60 that I really like though apparently is is hardly every actually accurate on the calorie read outs (or any heart rate monitor for that matter) unless you mostly do steady state cardio. Any kind of weight lifting, hiit training, intervals etc are apparently no accurate at all. I keep saying apparently cause I am no expert and just go by what everyone has told me and what I read about mine online.

HRMs have a few inherent flaws when it comes to calculating caloric burn. First of all, there are only a limited number of activities where the relationship between HR and calories is even tenuously established. A formula built around running doesn't hold up when you cycle ... or Zumba ... and there is no relationship between HR and calories burnt during anaerobic activities. Second, HRMs cannot differentiate between high and low exertion periods ... they just count beats. That is why they become more inaccurate for intervals ... the HR remains elevated after the exertion level drops while the device simply plugs HR into the formula. Third is that the lower end HRMs don't permit input of key factors such as a calculated heart rate reserve and VO2 max. The more generic the formula used, the less accurate it tends to be for the individual.