social drinking and weight loss

Options
Hi my name is Jeanne and I'm fairly new to my fitness pal, I've been doing well on my diet plan that this site made up for me except for the two nights since I've started that I've attended social events and had a drink or two. When I input the drink that I've tried (margarita and dirty Shirley) they come back packed full of sugar and calories and immediately put me over my limit on nutrition and calories. I don't drink often (once a month) but when I do is there another lighter drink I could order that would be better for me? What do any of you order that works well with your plan and nutrition?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, cocktails have a lot of calories. If you really want alcohol, you will want to search for lower cal alternatives (this website if useful for that: http://getdrunknotfat.com/).

But there are lots of things you can drink that would be lower cal, if you don't mind skipping the booze. Perrier is one example - get them to put a slice of orange in the glass, and you still have a "fancy drink" that's lower cal.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Gin and tonic is a good option, espcially if you get the slimline tonic (I'm not fond of it though).

But if I only drank once a month, I'd drink a bit of what I liked the most.

Personally, I prefer beer, with gin 2nd, but a couple of cocktails once a month isn't the end of the world and if it's that infrequent, going a couple of hundred of cals for over for one day isn't going to completely derail your weight loss.

I don't keep an eye on my sugar, but clear spirits with a diet soft drink may also do the trick if sugar matters to you.

I'd stick with 2 margaritas a month though.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Plain old wine is not too bad when it comes to calories most are about 100-120 kcal for a 5 oz glass. I like to make "sangria" with red wine, crushed raspberries and blackberries and soda water.

Whiskey on the rocks is generally about 90-100 calories.

Rum and Coke Zero, Jack and Coke Zero.
    Vodka soda and lime.

The more traditional cocktails were less sugary like the Old Fashion or a real Martini.
  • bartlesonjeanne
    Options
    Thanks everyone there's some much lighter looking alternatives in here I'll have to try next time I find myself out, I appreciate It
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When at home/hosting I drink a lot of vodka with lime reduced cal cranberry on the rocks.

I like them fairly stiff, so.....the damage is minimal from the mixer.

• nikita_33
    nikita_33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vodka and club with lime is a good choice. It's a good sipping drink with not too much sugar, considering other choices.