302lb shocker

Options
I am 56 and very overweight. I'm a business analyst and my time is spent sitting, whether it's in workshops, meetings or doing my 4 hour plus commute. Then slump in front of TV. Not good at all.

When I was in my early forties I weighed about 60lb less - so even though that is still over what I should be, I'm going to aim for that - 4 stones. My target is 5 months - when my eldest marries his Irish sweetheart. So 4/5 of a stone a month - that's about 11 lb a month. I think it's doable.

I'm based in the Southwest UK and up for supporting and being supported. I'm going to try a low carb approach - cut out bread, biscuits, potatoes, crisps, flour, booze(ohhhh) and snack on nuts and eat plenty of protein and not worry too much about fat (sensibly of course) - and just try and move around more.

Good luck to everyone.

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm also severely over weight. Changing my eating habits has been the hardest for me.
  • zutana
    zutana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do this - day by day. Planning the week's meals on Sunday really helps keep me on track. Not to say I'm not tempted but instead of picking up food on the way home, I know I have food readily available at home. I have 130lbs to loose so I'm right there with you; also have the sedentary job and a 2 hour commute. I heard an interesting statement the other day - if you don't eat enough carbs, your body turns the proteins into carbs so you're just eating a really expensive carb. I know too many carbs negatively affect my body so I shoot for few carbs too. I don't know the answer of how many carbs are too few but throwing money away on too much protein is an interesting thought to me. Good luck!!!
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Honestly try not to restrict yourself too much otherwise you'll find it difficult to stick to your diet, just stick within your calorie goals as a starter and try to stick within your macros and it should go a lot smoother. I know people who have done MFP for a few months, been really successful then got sucked into a "Low Carbs" diet and gave up due to the restrictions.
  • FEves
    FEves Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Being in a desk job is really difficult, but try to find ways to get more steps into your day. I purposely use the bathrooms on a different floor so that I will be forced to go up and down the stairs a couple times a day (more if I drink too much water, lol). Instead of calling my colleague I will go and visit them on a different floor with a question, if time allows, etc. I am going to start setting a reminder on my computer to get up and move around every hour. Also watch out about snacking on nuts. They are really high in calories, and it doesn't take many to sabotage your efforts. Be sure to count them out and log them!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey. I am also in SW UK. Your plan sounds like a good one - protein & fats will make you feel fuller for longer, rather than carbs, but I would recommend not cutting them out altogether - just get used to eating a smaller portion of eg potatoes.

This 'diet' is a lifestlye change, and is not sustainable in the long term if you cut out completely things that you like.

Try also to get some exercise in - even if it's only going for a brisk walk. Losing weight & being thinner is fine - but exercise will also improve your general health.

I'm now in maintenance, having lost nearly 40lbs over the last 8 months.

It really is just simple - eating less & moving more.