Trying to decide between joining a gym or adding more equipment at home

Options
I think I'm starting to make myself crazy so I need some help. I've been considering purchasing some additional equipment for home- weight bench and a piece of cardio equipment to start with as I want to take my workouts to the next level. I was planning to go look at cardio equipment this weekend - WaterRower /Concept2 rower or maybe a treadmill or elliptical. I have space for equipment at home as I have 2 unused bedrooms upstairs since my youngest moved out. I do work full-time, have a bit of a commute (45 minutes each way in good weather) and I'm a part-time student. I am on-call one week per quarter so being at home for a workout that week would be preferable.

I'm adding up how much equipment would be though am I'm wondering if the money would be better spent on a gym membership. There is a medium size gym - cardio equipment, weight machines and free weights, and classes less than 2 miles from home that people in the neighborhood seem to like. It doesn't have a pool however. I would likely look into hiring a personal trainer for at least a few sessions if I go the gym route. The gym membership would be $50 per month.

I used to belong to a bigger gym before I changed jobs and I liked it. I didn't do a lot of group fitness other than yoga so mostly cardio machines and free weights but that gym is in the opposite direction from where I work and just too far given my current schedule.

I have some physical limitations as I have a stress fracture in my left foot (was previously broken 2X). I also have herniated discs in my neck, scar tissue in my right deltoid muscle and some residual weakness and nerve damage in the ulnar nerve in my right arm (all from a nasty car accident about 10 years ago).

What would you do in my situation?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You have to do whichever will keep you on track to reach your goals!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you expect us to help you answer this question?
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm having a hard time deciding as I'm not training for something specific, like an event. I'm trying to go with something I can stick with in the long run.

Dav- I guess which route would you go with in my situation?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you are willing to spend and what your goals are. I love working out at home, after 3 years I've learned to drown out distractions, I get to listen to my music as loud as I want and when I'm done...I'm already home. Though you may have to deal with boredom, so check out other workout routines, like Fitness Blender or Body Rock, You Tube is good for different types of workouts.

All that being said, after a several year hiatus, I just recently joined a gym, a small, mostly weightlifting gym, no cardio equipment. My goal is to get into powerlifting/strongman and I am restricted at home.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Depends on you.

Some people find the community accountability aspect of a gym helpful. I have been going to my gym less than a month. When I walk in, people first bump me and say "you're doing great."

Some people find convenience more important.

Personally, I like the variety available at the gym. A dozen different cardio options, a variety of different classes, yoga, and more strength equipment than I know what to do with.

As for home equipment, I really want an infinity pool. That won't happen though.
  • DavPul
    Options
    katmumn wrote: »
    I guess I'm having a hard time deciding as I'm not training for something specific, like an event. I'm trying to go with something I can stick with in the long run.

Dav- I guess which route would you go with in my situation?

That's the thing. What I'd do has no bearing on what you should do. Different goals, finances, time, place in life cycle, definitions of enjoyment, etc.

Make your best decision. If it all seems equal, flip a coin.
  • nursethis
    nursethis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband and I purchased several elipticals and other gym equipment to refurbish and sell. It is very handy to have them in the home so that we can use them whenever we want, without driving and on our own schedule. The only problem in having everything at home is MAKING YOURSELF USE IT. If you can stay motivated at home, get what you want and what you know you like to use. Beats getting our in the cold and spending money on gas and memberships for a gym.

P.S. I talked him into keeping all of the weight machines.
  • Noeyfit
    Noeyfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me personally I would join the gym. I have lots of equip at home, but at home you tend to loose more motivation. At home you think about the chores you have to do and more. It would suck to cough up money on a cardio machine that you'll probably use at first and then it collects dust. At the gym you have more machines to switch it up and people around you sweating it up and motivating you.
  • Noeyfit
    Noeyfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also if you have a membership youre going to force yourself to go because youre paying monthly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I won't work out at home- I just won't.

Which is one of the reasons I pay for a gym.
    I like my gym. I like GOING to the gym. it's the equivalent of going to church for me. Only it actually matters and makes a difference in my life.

purchasing stuff to do at home won't work for me. So I won't do it.

If all else is equal pick which one you will stick with and if you have no strong feelings one way or the other- then as Dav said- flip a coin.
  • POHarry
    POHarry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am for the home option. There is no way I would go to a gym after work or after returning home from work. When I get home from work, I am home unless I have something planned that night. I love being able to go to the basement and work out. I do not have to leave the home or the family. It is just too convenient for me. As someone else mentioned, I listen to what I want as loud as I want. I can do whatever excercises I want without waiting for equipment.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Can you try going to the gym and buy a month long membership and see how you like it?
  • katmumn
    Options
    I've set up a tour of the gym for Saturday.

I'm also going to a fitness equipment retailer to take a look.

I'm pretty motivated most of the time, unless I have to come home and shovel snow or something. But I do think I would be more inclined to mix up my routines, and try things that I might not try at home at the gym.

Even though the gym is close, I do still have to get ready and go there. I'm going to mull it over for the next few days and see what I think after Saturday.

Thanks everyone.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Noeyfit wrote: »
    Also if you have a membership youre going to force yourself to go because youre paying monthly.

LOLOLOLOLOL
  • AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do both! You can make them both enjoyable in your own way. For me, my music is everything and makes both options good to me.
  • katmumn
    Options
    So I think Andrea may be right. I visited both the gym and went to look at the WaterRower yesterday. I loved the WaterRower but I also really liked this gym more than either of the gyms I belonged to previously. It's a medium size gym, locally owned but it still has a good assortment of cardio machines (including a Concept2 rower) and weights.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its hard because we arent you and it could be either way depending on your schedule. Its whichever one you will manage to keep up.

Some places hire a concept or you could get one second hand and then sell it. Alternatively join gym for a month. Iipps just seen that above.

Water rowers are nice, they have comfy seats and quiet. I'd still get a concept though for resale, reliability and its just the standard. At the moment I use the one at the gym, but considering getting and using my own so i can do consistent small rows during the day.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Convenience was the deciding factor for us in making the decision to purchase equipment for home workouts.