Bored with veggies... Need ideas!

Options

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For most vegetables, fry them in butter. One of my favorite dishes is potatoes skillet fried in real butter with some steak seasoning. And ya gotta cook it til it gets tangy/crunchy on the sides.

Given potatoes are carb rich, I dont have them much, but it works for any vegetable. Or peanut butter (the crunchy kind). That goes with mostly any veggie, too.
  • ameliajane90
    ameliajane90 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know that it's winter and this might not work, but if you hit up a farmers market, CSA, or local produce store, ask for suggestions from the farmers themselves! The might point you in a direction of a veg you never knew about and they usually have some to die for recipes!
  • jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    Salsa is a great dip for raw carrots, celery, jicama, or pretty much anything you can cut into strips! Also, when I get sick of eating my salads but know I need some more veggies on a given day, or when I want to snack during a TV show but not have popcorn or chips, I will eat salad right out of a premade bag, with my hands, just plain. A little goofy, but it works for me!
  • joeymarszalek
    joeymarszalek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sauteed cabbage? Barbeque Cauliflower? Chilli Powder dusted sweet potato chips? .. wait the last one may not be as low calorie as I wish it were.. But try working with cabbage for a while. I sautee it with a tiny bit of oil and then add an avocado/apple vinegar dressing I found on foodgawker to it for a nice tang to it.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    roasted beets and parsnips
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    swiss chard or kale or spinach sauteed and put into sauces or omelettes
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm tired of veggies. Tired of the same old broccoli, cauliflower in all forms, roasted Brussel sprouts, frozen veggies, green beans... I need suggestions badly for some low calorie vegetable sides (and kid friendly, if possible).

Help?

Asparagus spears sauteèd in a little butter and black pepper is amazing. I like to use my veggie mandolin to slice my veggies extra thin then layer them in place of noodles for lasagna. Grate onions and garlic into sauces for an extra kick of bold flavor. Steamed veggies covered in pasta sauce and sprinkled with parmesan is delicious and can be a great replacement for spaghetti if you are trying to cut carbs (or just over your carb macros for the day but still want pasta)
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Grate carrots, beets and an apple and mix them together with a splash of orange juice. Sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds. YUM. You could also add raisins or dried cranberries. Or, instead of orange juice, mix the grated vegetables with some low-fat plain yogurt and make it a carrot/beet slaw!

Cabbage (red or white) also goes really well with fruits like orange, apple, grapefruit, pomegranate seeds etc. Add some walnuts or toasted almonds to make it A+.

Kale is great massaged with some olive oil+balsamic vinegar+salt and pepper, and then with apple or perhaps fresh blackberries or strawberries, feta cheese and topped with toasted, chopped almonds.

Can you tell I love salads with fruits and nuts in them? ;)
  • lisaab27
    lisaab27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My daughter hates vegetables, my success stories with her are: oven-roasted broccoli or cauliflower. cut up, drizzled w olive oil, sprinkle with minced garlic or garlic powder and a nice no salt herb blend. If you don't mind the salt, sprinkle parmesan cheese. Also acorn squash, cut in half and cleaned, add butter and brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon and some water in the baking pan when cooking. That was a big success, she didn't even know it was a vegetable. If they can't scoop it out, you can and whip it like mashed potatoes. I added baby peas and wheat elbows to my homemade chili, she ate everything right down, no picking out the peas. Zucchini or carrots grated and made into muffins always go down easy. Green beans or carrots served with dipping ranch dressing.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Some of my go-tos are:
    - Finely chopped veggie salads. Just throw a lil bit of every veggie you have on hand together, add some salad spices and a light dressing and you're good to go!
    - Zucchini, onions and peppers, grossely chopped, thrown into a skillet with some coconut oil and spices. Add some curry spices or whatever you feel like it and roast it up. Super easy!
    - Chow meain base, without the fried noodles. Basically celery, onions, nappa cabbage or chinese lettuce, bean sprouts, toss together with olive or coconut oil, , add some chicken/onion/beef broth and a bit of soy sauce if that's your thing. I made this the other day with sliced chicken breast and it's delicious! And definitely not high cal since I didn't add anything to thicken and you definitely do not need sugar in there, either.
    - spaghetti squash! With meat sauce on top and some cheese
    - broccoli and cauliflower boiled with some butter? Tasty and easy!

I'll admit on most days I'm too lazy to do any of this for at least one of my meals though, and just end up munching on the sliced veggies raw. Love sugar snap peas, too! and sometimes I'll just chow down a handful of baby spinach before a meal if I really don't feel like having veggies WITH the meal (it happens).
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I came across a recipe for roasted radishes. What?? I am going to give them a try. Supposedly delicious.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Roasted radishes are yummy! I tried them for the first time this past week and I'm hooked.

Edited to add...I've always eaten radishes and loved them. Cooking changes them into something else very lovely.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Buffalo cauliflower bites.

Green beans, steamed the coated in melted butter, salt and McCormick lemon pepper seasoning
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make pot sticker filling...which is amazing!.....ground turkey, a bag of coleslaw mix (just shredded cabbage...but its ready to go), ginger, onion, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    These are probably covered upthread, but a lot of my staples are the same as yours, which I mix in throughout the year, but I try to focus a lot on seasonal veggies to keep it fresh. I find during the summer I get excited as each new thing comes out.

Right now that means lots of cabbage, winter squash, and root veggies. Roasted turnips and beets, celeriac, parsnips and carrots in various mixed. Radishes I prefer raw, but I add them as a side or on a salad. Cabbage is nice panfried with apples and onions. Spaghetti squash is of course nice used in ways you might use pasta, but also just with some feta and a bit of butter and herbs as a side. I love roasted or mashed winter squash (I got pumpkins from my CSA so have been doing them, but acorn is my favorite and delicata is the easiest).

I also like a variety of greens or green-like things--bok choi, endive, radicchio (perhaps not as kid friendly, depending), beet or turnip greens, collards, spinach, and chard and, of course, kale (also likely not as kid friendly). Roasted eggplant is good, but the best ways are higher calorie, IMO. Lately I've been finding any veggie mix better if I add some fennel, also.
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    Have you tried pickled vegetables? It's super popular in the south! We can and pickle everything. Carrots and okra are some of my favorite pickled vegetables.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a six year old & besides the veggies you mentioned, some of her favorites are: mini corn on the cob with cob holders (makes it fun). Zucchini & squash lightly sauteed in a little EVOO with garlic powder & sprinkle of lawrys seasoning salt (lightly) & dash of pepper. Says it tastes like candy. Also loves asparagus. Also carrots cooked & lightly drizzled with honey or a drizzle of syrup or sprinkle of brown sugar on top. Made all ways and adds just a little extra sweet flavor.
  • Cannotpickname
    Cannotpickname Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Carrot salad (it's pretty, but probably not so kid-friendly):
    http://www.feastingathome.com/2014/06/shaved-carrot-salad-with-pistachio.html

Candied sweet potatoes with pineapple:
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=99811

And I can't access this link, but saved it in my healthy eating Google Drive spreadsheet... something about a veggie cheatsheet:
    http://highhopeswellness.weebly.com/2/post/2012/05/veggie-flavor-familiescooking-cheat-sheetyoure-welcome-taste-buds.html
  • ericaeast92
    ericaeast92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, sauteed in broth or olive oil
    Beets, canned
    Sweet Potatoes, baked as fries
    Kale chips, baked
    Incorporate veggies into sauces/salsa/hummus
    Spaghetti squash
  • irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Any squash - poke with a knife and cook for a couple minutes in the microwave to soften (I do this because cooking completely raw in the oven takes too long). Cut them in half, get rid of the seeds. Lightly coat with olive oil (I put a little bit of butter in the middle and baste with it as they cook, the small amount of butter compared to the whole squash shouldn't ruin your diet). Coat with whatever else you like. I make some with Honey and rosemary. I make others with garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper. I've stuffed them with different mixes. Put On the oven on the middle rack around 300-350 degrees until cooked enough for your taste. Squash cooked this way is awesome (especially spaghetti squash)