Dukan Diet pancake

Options
JulieF11
JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
Did you watch Dr. Oz in regards to the Dukan Diet and cancer fighting food episode? Anyway, since I'm free to try whatever I like (only counting calories) I thought I'd try that Dukan Diet pancake (since it's whole grain, lots of protein and low calorie to boot). I looked up the recipe, it's : 2 tbsp Oat Bran, one egg white, 2 tbsp non-fat yogurt, and 2 tbsp of no-cal sweetner. Mix it up and make a 6 inch pancake, double it for two people. Just spray a frying pan, heat it up, and add the pancake mix, make as you would a regular pancake.

Anyway, I had mine with 3/4 cup of wild blueberries from the freezer section (Dr Oz said Wild Blueberries are a super cancer fighter) and it was really good! I'm using that Xylitol sweetener since you can get it in the stores now, called "Ideal". Anyway, each pancake is about 65 calories, when I added it up, and the berries are about 60 calories... so it's a low cal. breakfast that is TASTY and very good for you. It also keeps you not hungry for hours! Thought I'd share that secret.

Replies

• YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, they had that recipe in Women's World magazine a week or so ago, and I wondered how it would taste.

Now that I look at the recipe again, though..., that seems like an awful lot of artificial sweetener.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pancakes :)
    Thanks!
  • cindyjkunz
    cindyjkunz Posts: 5
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    The recipe in Women's World magazine says:

1 egg white
    2 tbs oat bran
    2 tbs fat-free plain Greek yogurt
    1 tsp Splenda

So it shows much less sweetener.
  • toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The actual recipe, and this is from the Dukan Diet Facebook Page is actually:

2 tablespoons oat bran
    1 tablespoon wheat bran
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons fat-free fromage blanc

Fat-free fromage blanc is basically fat free cream cheese. There is NO actual artificial sweetener in the recipe, unless you take the "sweet" option. There are NO amounts for the sweetener given so that is basically up to your taste.

Anyone with pets should be EXTREMELY careful using Xylitol as it is toxic to pets. Even a small amount can kill your pet, so be sure not to allow them to get ahold of anything you make with Xylitol.

Also, different artificial sweeteners will require different amounts. "Ideal" probably requires 2 tbsp, where "Splenda" only requires 1 tsp.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    That one with cream cheese sounds even better, thanks for sharing.

Very good job pointing out the issue with pets and xylitol. This actually came up for me just a couple of weeks ago. I got some small B12 supplements (methylcobalamin) as a supplement for my cat (she has diabetic neuropathy), and didn't even even notice that they had xylitol in them till I'd given her a couple. Fortunately, no ill effects, but scary.

(Sorry to hijack the original post with that info.)
  • cindyjkunz
    cindyjkunz Posts: 5
    Options
    Stevia is a natural sweetner and better for it is plant based. My choice anyway. :wink:
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Could this be done with a syrup for the sweetner like Agave Necter?
  • bohogirl14
    bohogirl14 Posts: 4
    Options
    I made this with 2 tbs of unsweetened applesause & cinnamon in place of the yogurt. It turned out really good if you dont like artificial sweetners. just kind of turned it into a desert from there...microwaved half an apple cut into chunks sprinkled with cinnamon and apple pie spice!
  • Heather3186
    Heather3186 Posts: 67
    Options
    Great idea with the applesauce! trying it!
  • CrimsonWife
    CrimsonWife Posts: 56
    Options
    Could this be done with a syrup for the sweetner like Agave Necter?

Agave Nectar is *HORRIBLE* for you. It's even worse than High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html

Do your body a favor and switch to a different sweetener. Stevia is the best option if you want something natural.
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A must try. thanks.