johnjlangdoniv Posts: 11
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Any fellow grad students using MFP?

Replies

• purplebear2007
    purplebear2007 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yep, due to graduate in December with an MA in History. I'm actually spending the day doing some research for my thesis.
  • johnjlangdoniv
    johnjlangdoniv Posts: 11
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Awesome! A fellow historian! What area of study? I'm currently in India on a Fulbright researching US-India diplomatic history through the State Dept jazz tours during the Cold War, as well as the history of India's Golden Age of Jazz (1930s-50s).
  • purplebear2007
    purplebear2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    History of Education, my thesis is on the development of rural schools in an Arkansas county between the end of Reconstruction and the onset of the Great Depression.

It's not the most glamorous topic, but I found a great collection of primary sources and a huge gap in the historiography.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up my MSc. in theoretical condensed matter physics/ optics.
  • VRotberg
    VRotberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Graduating in May!
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Graduate Student in Marketing Research at Virginia Tech! No idea when I'm going to graduate.... #gradschoolproblems
  • johnjlangdoniv
    Options
    That's a great topic! I worked for the San Joaquin County Historical Society last year and one of my tasks was to organize school records from the Gold Rush era through the 1920s. It was fascinating to see how the students were racially classified as either white, black (negro), or Chinese. Any student not fitting white or black was thrown into the Chinese category.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Just started my MA in Literature here! Currently trying to balance the need to comfort food my way through midterms and stay under my calorie goal at the same time :neutral_face: