Help with exercise with a bad back and knees

Options
Please give suggestions for cardio. I have no disc left and many bulging discs as well as bad knees, I need replacements for both. Standing for 10 minutes is painful and running isn't an option. I can't swim. Any else out there with same issues and found a way to do some cardio?

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Take swimming lessons.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe some sort of pool aerobics would be good, you don't need to know how to swim for them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’d work in the pool as well, learning to swim, doing water aerobics, and/or just walking in the water.
  • lydiadragon
    Options
    What about yoga?
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    How about cycling? If you use proper form (don't splay out your knees), cycling can help knee problems.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What about yoga?
    Yoga could be really helpful, but don't do it at home by yourself because if you use incorrect form, you can worsen your conditions. You need an in-person very knowledgeable and experienced instructor with a small class, preferably iyengar yoga.

Same thing for pilates. Pilates on the equipment would probably help a lot. It has helped my knees quite a bit, and also strengthened my back.
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat with the back and I have neck issues as well. Though my knees are not bad,,but nerve damage so I have very severe limitations with legs and ar

Do not.. I repeat do not do yoga. Though you should learn the basic way to stand and align your toes with your knees.. and learn to walk that way. There are a few.. maybe 3 or 4 yoga positions you might be able to do.. might.. but be very careful.. you can really do damage with it.

For cardio.. water. you don't need to swim. whether it is walking,, kicking.. or moving your arms it is a workout.. and a safe one. I am in water every day.. I have a large bathtub.. I also live near the beach or I do an indoor pool.. but water.. Even if it is to do isometric exercises and stretching.
  • airborne18th
    Options
    Right now I am in PMR and they have a machine for using the arms instead of the legs for cycling.. I have not seen one in a gym.. but if you don't have arm issues..
  • audiojister
    audiojister Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Swimming is, without a doubt, the best exercise for someone with bad knees.

Because you don't have this option you need to be creative, but most of all you need to be extra careful.

I had surgery on both knees as a teenager and I've been overweight my whole life. Exercise has always been a challenge. When I used to go to the gym I used the elliptical instead of the treadmill. It has less impact on your knees. You still have to be careful though.

What you need to keep in mind is that strengthening your leg and abdomen muscles is a MUST. Cardio is super important but you don't want to hurt your knees more. There are exercise with strength bands. Strength training puts your heart to work and makes you stronger.
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to do water exercise but do not have access to a pool. Never even thought about the tub, duh. How do you measure exercise with bands or isometric as far as calories burned?
  • airborne18th
    Options
    I could never find an accurate way to measure the calories. I have tried just counting it as if I were standing versus sitting. But I don't worry about the calorie count in the tub. When I get in the pool and get to do close to real carido I do. Most of what I do in the tub is work on the legs, butt, and abs. It is low impact, but does work and you will tone with very little pain.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for some type of water exercise. I started out in a water aerobics class called "Back Camp" which includes cardio and strengthening but the movements are back friendly and also strengthen the core muscles which help with the back.

Even if you wear a flotation belt and "run" in the deep end you can get a good workout without stressing the knees or back.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have disc issues and broken tailbone.
    I have found an old school video very good and even helps improve my core, which is very important w back issues. It's called Pilates by Denise Austin. There are two 20 min videos. The first is geared towards beginners. That is the one I usually stick w personally. The second is doable by beginners but it is more advanced. I like it because it is actually relaxing, is not hard on my painful back and crappy joints, and I can adapt if I find something does bother my back or makes me hurt. It is low impact and gentle.

I think swimming is great but you mentioned you'd rather not. Try this out as an alternative, it may be exactly what you need! http://www.amazon.com/Denise-Austin-Workout-Based-Pilates/dp/B000059H6M
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for great suggestions
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Pilates video can't wait to try it out. Thank you