Night time hunger

Options
when it gets to bedtime I always seem to have that hungry feeling, my stomach rumbles etc!! I'm usually under my calorie target by a fair whack, but then that add more calories to your allowance the more excercise you log. I don't ever eat anything but it can be quite difficult to ignore, any ideas?!!

Replies

• pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am not supposed to eat close to bedtime due to issues with GERD, so I will try to have some hot tea to curb the hungrys.

If you have the calories to spare and no digestive issues, why not snack on something? I am totally in the use all the calories you can camp. Never let a good calorie go to waste!

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I eat a Quest (protein) bar for dessert every night. This keeps me full and satisfied.
  • miggy1970
    miggy1970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank u, I'm not sure whether they would be my thing but I will try one :)
  • in_this_generation
    Options
    I get this too. It isn't as bad when I hit my protein and fiber goals.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a 150-250 cal snack every night about 1 hour before bedtime. I ha gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and was advised by a nutritionist to have an evening snack with protein and carbs to balance my sugars for the night. My sugars were perfect every morning. Since then ijust haven't bought into the don't eat before bed myth.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with SkinnyD. The Core Performance program actually has you doing the same thing to bridge that long overnight gap.
  • dazkeirle
    dazkeirle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    well i just had casein with water and I'm extremely full now and pretty much all good pre-bedtime. No guilt.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I usually have some cottage cheese between an hour to 30 minutes before bed. Seems to be the only thing that keeps me from waking up super hungry. Cottage cheese contains casein protein, which is slower releasing and controls hunger.
  • miggy1970
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, I will try some and see what works best
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Personal trainer recommended a protein shake around bed time. Haven't tried it yet myself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You have the room in your allowance, so eat something.
  • miggy1970
    Options
    I thought it was a diet no no to eat before bed!! Sorry
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    No it's absolutely not a diet no-no to eat before bed, unless it puts you over your calories!
  • miggy1970
    Options
    Ok thank u, I feel silly now l!! Thank u everyone for your input
  • AmyTCaldwell
    AmyTCaldwell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yogurt,always helps me,doesn't matter what kind, add a little granola in it if you like,I've had a problem waking up in the middle of the night and eating a full coarse meal. For years,I struggled with my night time cravings,especially chocolate,I have dark chocolate on hand all the time, I've been craving sugar lately,and I'm not sure why,but the dark choc and yogurt help a lot. Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    No it's absolutely not a diet no-no to eat before bed, unless it puts you over your calories!

Or unless you are eating a full on meal. A snack is okay. Hot things are satisfying. Tea, cocoa, warm milk.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack before sleep. Usually a block of dark chocolate which seems to cut my appetite and some green tea.
  • angenscott
    angenscott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bengal spice tea in a 44 oz glass. No caffeine. I do not add anything to it. If you have been keeping your body hydrated otherwise, you will not wake up in middle of night for a potty break. It is 0 calories. Full of spices and has a natural sweetness. Very soothing.

• Mywitnessfitness
    Mywitnessfitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vegetables or fruit. I just had broccoli and it filled me up
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    I get starving hungry if I stay up too late. I either go to bed or drink some serious amounts of liquids: water, tea, and coffee. The caffeine may keep you up though so I'd recommend decaf (which still has some caffeine) or herbal teas.

I find that if I start snacking, I get carried away and binge on several thousand calories.