Teacher with low afternoon blood sugar

Options
hi MFP friends!

I just started a teaching job last month. I'm having trouble with my food plan. We eat lunch early, at 11 AM. By the time school wraps up at 4 I am beyond dizzy and sick feeling. I know my blood sugar has dropped. We don't get a break during the day but I obviously need to find a good time to have a moderate snack during the afternoon. I'm finding that I am eating way too much in the evenings and blowing my calories completely because I'm just too hungry.

What foods will work best to stabilize my blood sugar? Preferably things that pack well, as I don't currently have access to refrigeration. Any other tips to make my afternoons and evenings run more smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a blood glucose meter and test yourself if you think you have blood sugar issues. That is really a medical issue and you should address that with your doctor.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Take a protein bar with you, or those pre-packed 100 calorie nuts. You can eat them in the classroom, at least I do:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If it is a blood sugar issue you need a doctor to rule out anything major

Otherwise glucose sweets or fruit juice and just log them ..even a candy bar ...I'm sure you can spare 100 calories or so for a mid afternoon snack

I always have something around 3.30 when I get home from school ..toast and cottage cheese, avocado and tomato generally (under 200 cals)
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and yes, you need to see a dr. However, if you can't eat during class, can you sip on some juice in the afternoon?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I know what you mean. For me it's getting hungry too quickly. I find if I have a bagel or something high carbs, I won't last to lunch without my stomach screaming. I have been making egg/bacon/potato casseroles, cutting them into "bars" and eating one on the way to work each day. :) High protein helps me stave off hunger.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too (UK) we usually have a mid morning break at 10:30 where I'll have a bit of fruit or two. Lunch is then at 12:30 and I'd agree with high protein, it defo keeps you fuller for longer.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. I'm hypoglycemic and have learned that for me, I need protein to keep my sugars from crashing. For my snacks I do fruit and Greek yogurt, fruit and nuts, peanut butter, lunch meat or protein shakes. Every meal also includes a lean protein, rarely do I have issues with crashes anymore, unless I'm upping my exercise or miss a meal (or even eat late).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with your doctor. Don't your kids get some sort of recess, where you can grab a quick snack?
  • venom_sundae
    Options
    We do have a recess, but we are the recess monitors (kind of a drag), and all specials classes take place in the classroom. So I am finding myself working with students during that time, or putting out fires of disruptive students/behavior issues. Also, since I am a new teacher I am constantly running during any second I have to make sure I am fully prepped. Kind of a nervous wreck, lol!

I got some protein bars as an emergency only, because they don't really fit into my food plan, in terms of calories. I will put them in my desk. I also bought nuts and trail mix to bring this week.

I just need to make a conscious effort to take care of myself. I don't think others would think twice about having a snack, but I feel weird about it since the kids eat at the same time I do, and they don't get an afternoon snack either. I am sure they are hungry as well.

In terms of seeing a doctor. I have, and my blood tests always come back normal. This is something I have struggled with on and off since my teens (boughts of dizziness / weakness brought on by not eating regularly enough). It's become more of an issue again since I started this job. Next year our schedule should be different - i hope!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I get the teacher schedule- you barely have time to use the restroom, right? And you can't control when you eat because it goes by grade level. And since you're on your feet a lot of the day helping and teaching kids it can be really draining. Can you stick a little baggie with almonds in your pocket to munch on during recess duty? I also find that eating a banana usually takes about 1 minute and I can make it through the late afternoon without binging. I'm not a teacher but I work in the schools and I do an after school club plus I try to stop at the gym or walk before going home. I also eat a high protein greek yogurt at lunch so that helps fill me up too. Drinking a lot of water can also help because being dehydrated can really sap your energy too.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Look for low glycemic foods.. they will keep you full longer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    hi MFP friends!

I just started a teaching job last month. I'm having trouble with my food plan. We eat lunch early, at 11 AM. By the time school wraps up at 4 I am beyond dizzy and sick feeling. I know my blood sugar has dropped. We don't get a break during the day but I obviously need to find a good time to have a moderate snack during the afternoon. I'm finding that I am eating way too much in the evenings and blowing my calories completely because I'm just too hungry.

What foods will work best to stabilize my blood sugar? Preferably things that pack well, as I don't currently have access to refrigeration. Any other tips to make my afternoons and evenings run more smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
    Since your blood tests come back as normal, how much do you eat each day? You could be eating too little.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well. I couldn't imagine not having a break between lunch and time to go home. What if you have a protein drink handy that you can grab and drink on the playground. You can get some that even look like water or just have it in a coffee cup.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also I made a snack time in my class. I teach fifth grade, but if I'm hungry mid afternoon, I'm sure my students are too. We all have a snack and are much happier.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice, but my teenage daughter and I both have dizziness that is related to low blood pressure when we stand up. Doctor suggested for daughter to make sure she maintains to to maintain good sodium levels and keep hydrated and it seems to help. You're probably eating less sodium simply because of reduced calories if nothing else. Just something to check with your doctor next time you go in case that's of any help. You might also see if you feel more dizzy on days with less sodium or fluid intake. For the afternoon hunger, I have found chocolate whey protein powder is perfect for a quick & filling in a way that protein bars are not. If you have access to a fridge you can keep it nearby and just shake it up before you drink it. Most kids wouldn't even notice you were having your snack if you are drinking something. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice, but my teenage daughter and I both have dizziness that is related to low blood pressure when we stand up. Doctor suggested for daughter to make sure she maintains to to maintain good sodium levels and keep hydrated and it seems to help. You're probably eating less sodium simply because of reduced calories if nothing else. Just something to check with your doctor next time you go in case that's of any help. You might also see if you feel more dizzy on days with less sodium or fluid intake. For the afternoon hunger, I have found chocolate whey protein powder is perfect for a quick & filling in a way that protein bars are not. If you have access to a fridge you can keep it nearby and just shake it up before you drink it. Most kids wouldn't even notice you were having your snack if you are drinking something. Good luck!

That's a great point. I have low blood pressure as well and I eat a lot of salt in an effort to keep it up. Come to think of it, the dizzy spell hasn't happened in awhile so I must be doing something right. :)