Grilled bacon...

Options
when I grill bacon quite a lot of fat drips off. Does that mean there are fewer calories than listed on the pack per slice?

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No, the calories are per cooked slice, and no one expects to eat the drained fat - though my mom used it on cooked kale.

I separate a full package on the slotted tray of a broiler pan (doesn't splatter in the oven). Start in a cold oven and bake at 425-degrees. Drain on paper towels when done. Put in an airtight container and store in freezer.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Depends--Is the package information for prepared bacon or raw bacon? If it's for raw, then you've obviously lost some calories, but if it's for the prepared bacon, it's most likely taken into account.

That being said, I'm not sure how you would account for the amount of calories lost to fat dripping even if the package does list the raw calorie information.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Most pre packaged bacon I've seen display the nutritional value of grilled bacon.

Just use that value for whatever comes out of the grill and goes in your mouth.
  • katerinawaller
    Options
    Ok, thanks! Was hoping I could eat an extra slice. Never mind!
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    One slice of crisp bacon is only 37 calories. Go for it!
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I grill my bacon on the foremen grill. I love it. 2 slices of low sodium bacon is only 80 calories. ☺
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think most bacon packages give the calories for bacon that is "fried in a pan." On a grill you'd probably lose a little bit more of the fat than in a frying pan. However, it's probably not that big of a difference.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've done it two ways:

Use 'raw' entry from USDA, then weigh fat at the end to subtract from you initial raw weight

Use 'cooked' entry from package and just weigh what's cooked at the end. Any fat that's not cooked and drained off will still be part of the overall weight so it doesn't really matter what method you use for cooking (this is assuming that your package says something like '2 pan-fried slices (Xg)' rather than just a number of slices).

With the first method, the end calories after cooking and weighing off the fat ended up *very* close to the 'cooked serving' calories on the packaging (0-10 calorie difference each time I've tested and with each method of cooking), so I've just gone off the assumption that the easier second method is close enough. I realize that some of what cooks off will be water, but again -- close enough.

My favorite way to do it is to cut 4 slices of bacon in half then weave together and bake. You end up with a perfect square of bacon that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious and fits nicely in a sandwich. Roughly 150 calories so long as you drain off/pat out the fat at the end.
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Real Bacon! I tried the Turkey Bacon with nasty results! Never try it. Just throwing that out there. As for the grilled bacon be very careful of the flames.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Ive never had bacon only give cooked nutritional info. Usually it will only be raw or it will say that it's for the raw weight and then give a cooked weight equivalent. Which I would never use.