Body Pump

Options
So I finally decided that I want to be more effective with my training and will be doing strength training in addition to the cardio that I already used to do whenever embarking on a weight loss journey. I am starting with Body Pump 2x per week and 5 miles cardio 4 times per week. Will the Body Pump be effective as far as strength gains go or should I skip it and go straight to heavy lifting?

More recently when I did workout I would aim for 4 miles 5 times per week but I would always break the commitment to myself. This time, I'm aiming for the same amount of cardio, just in fewer days and am adding the strength training on two of those days. My goal is to be as effective as possible so that I can see results and also to make it be something that is easy to stick to. Aiming for 5 gym days was too much so I'm hoping that aiming for 4 will work out better for me. The goal is to make it as painless as possible, make it realistic and also effective. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Body pump is cardio. You may see some very mild strength gains in the very beginning or it may help hold onto a bit more muscle if you are in a defecit... but if you are looking to get stronger I would skip it and go straight to heavier lifting.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like body pump.
    Its not strictly lifting, but if you have a good instructor its good for technique.

My gym does a cross fit class which is more lifting based.

If the body pump fits into your schedule it won't do you any harm.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love body pump. (I wouldn't say it is cardio, at least not in the way body attack is.) I definitely notice gains but Could be newbie gains because I have only been doing it since January.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Body Pump for 3 years. I have definitely made gains. You can load up your bar as much as you like. I did add heavy lifting 2 x week about 5 months ago. That is when I made the most gains. Body Pump will get you started and it is a great motivator.
  • jasonrobertjones
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Body Pump.

But it is not lifting, and it is not strength training.

If you're interested in strength training, I'd advise one of the numerous 3x5 or 5x5 programs available online.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Body pump is cardio. You may see some very mild strength gains in the very beginning or it may help hold onto a bit more muscle if you are in a defecit... but if you are looking to get stronger I would skip it and go straight to heavier lifting.

^Exactly this
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills Spin classes for cardio and Les Mills Body Pump for strength training for the last 7 years. And my body has transformed. I lift heavy weights on my bar and challenge myself most of the workout days. I go three times to the gym and do both excersices. They are great workouts! As with any weight lifting, be sure to challenge yourself. At the same time, listen to your body. Always, do your workouts with the correct form! In addition, I walk about 3 miles everyday. Also, yoga to stretch my body...that feels great to my muscles:)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I did Body Pump when I was a member of NYSC and loved it. Yes, there's cardio, but you can build up the weight you lift as well. All my muscle toning has been through strength/cardio classes, and while I cannot lay claim to lifting 50lb, I do have good muscle definition in my body. Additionally, I attribute the fact that I have gone down two sizes in the last year without a corresponding change of weight, to the combination classes I enjoy.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    TY for all of the responses. So I have 4 days per week to workout. On all 4 days I want to do 5 miles of cardio. On 2 of those 4 days I can set aside one hour for strength. I can use the machines and do calisthenics, etc or should I go straight to something like Stronglifts? I want to be as effective as possible with the time that I have. I am also extremely weak, especially upper body.
  • AussieDragonfly
    AussieDragonfly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Can only tell you what my trainer tells me, that Body Pump is a good combination with the rest of your training, I only go 1 or 2 times a week but I train with her twice a week and total of 5 or 6 days a week, mixing it up with weights, cardio etc, defiantly go to it but keep up the rest of your workouts :)