Spinach Suggestions?

Options
ladieofthebees
ladieofthebees Posts: 51 Member
Husband came home with the biggest bag of spinach, and I have no idea what to do with it other than stick it on a sandwich or make a salad out of it. Anyone have any good, healthy recipes utilizing spinach? I'm eating it as fast as I can, but I'm worried about it going to waste!

Replies

• mariafenton65
    mariafenton65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up strawberry spinach salad with vinaigrette dressing online it is wonderful
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You can add it to soup in the last few minutes of cooking. Below is a link to a recipe. If you saute it you will land up with a fourth of what you have now. I just start sauteing it and drizzling with sesame oil and sesame seeds. Delicious! Also great sauteed and topped with Parmesan and a sunny side up egg.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/low-sodium-italian-sausage-soup.html

Low%2BSodium%2BItalian%2BSausage%2BSoup3.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just...put it in a pan, with tomatoes and mushrooms. I'm going to do that for the side with my salmon tonight.
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in most of my smoothies. Adds some fiber to a regular fruit smoothie, and you really can't taste it at all.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Put some olive oil in a pan. Saute some freshly minced garlic. When the garlic is golden colored, add the spinach. Let it cook just until it wilts. Stir with the olive oil and garlic. Serve with some added parmesan cheese, if desired.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    add it to omelettes and stews. I sneak some in my spaghetti sauce (cut into small bits) and nobody even notices. I like it just sauteed with some garlic and mushrooms.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Give it to Popeye. He can always use more.

On a more serious note, have you tried putting it into a marinara/spaghetti sauce and serving it with pasta? Always a yummy and flavorful choice.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Spinach is about as versatile as it gets. It's great just sauteed with some garlic. It works very well with eggs - think souffle or frittata. Or baked eggs on a spinach nest. It also works well with rice and give it a beautiful color. Or pound some chicken breasts very thin and roll it with some spinach and Parmesan.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza crust today out of spinach. So good.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    roxilegend wrote: »
    I put spinach in most of my smoothies. Adds some fiber to a regular fruit smoothie, and you really can't taste it at all.

Same. I always add it.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump !
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    Put some olive oil in a pan. Saute some freshly minced garlic. When the garlic is golden colored, add the spinach. Let it cook just until it wilts. Stir with the olive oil and garlic. Serve with some added parmesan cheese, if desired.

This too, you will be surprised how much it cooks down.
  • ladieofthebees
    Options
    Awesome, great suggestions! I look forward to trying these out :smile:
  • ladieofthebees
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »

I did this with my dinner last night (although I added a little fresh lemon juice). It went lovely with buffalo baked chicken and baby carrots. Thanks! :smile:
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I was still eating eggs, I would blend egg beaters or several egg whites and spinach together then bake in a cupcake pan to make mini quiches. I think I did 350F for like 20 minutes in the oven. These do freeze and microwave up nicely.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't read every response so these may be duplicates:

1> I like to saute some in a pan with a touch of oil or even just cooking spray. Then I make an omelette and fold the sauteed spinach inside. Adding feta cheese is a great taste (spinach and feta go together well, IMO).

2> I also like to put spinach in my smoothies. It's a fairly neutral taste but does add a touch of "earthiness" to fruit. Right now I'm having a smoothie that is 1/2 banana, about half a peach, one slice of pineapple, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, one cup of almond milk and a big handle of spinach. This isn't overly sweet thanks to the spinach and it's a great way to add fiber and bulk to the smoothie.
  • hwestphal
    hwestphal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have Spinach Chips on my list of things to make this week. I hate greens, so I am always looking for a way to hide them! http://rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/spinach-chips/ - I also keep some frozen spinach for throwing into hot soups to cool then down. My kids love this (I do it with Kale also) and I also tolerate fresh spinach pretty well in potato soup.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Just shred and add to almost anything. I put it in my meatloaf, marinara, lasagna, smoothies, blend with the milk before making pancakes to turn them green (you don't taste it), make a salad with spinach, red onion, beets, feta and candied walnuts with a mustard vinaigrette. You can also freeze it to use later :)
  • indian9990
    Options
    Juice it :)