Beginner exercises, help!

Options
i found some great YouTube channels (Such as fitness blender) with all levels of fitness covered. I started doing the beginner videos and oh my god I can't keep up. I'm knackered after a few minutes. I think I need beginners beginners videos haha.
I give up too quickly, I just can't seem to keep going, I'm out of breath and just think right that's enough exercise and feel really demotivated. Any tips to keep me pushing through?!
X

Replies

• maedaeparade44
    Options
    Just try to distract yourself. Keep going and try not to think about it, think about something else. This is one time I think it helps to talk to yourself
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Move slower and don't try to do too much too fast. You don't have to keep up with their pace on FB. I would try their level 2 or 3 low impact cardio workouts. It takes a bit of time to build up endurance, keep at it though! I have been using fitnessblender for a few months and there are still some exercises I struggle with. It gets better, keep at it
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can scale the work yourself. When you get to a point where you’re unable to catch your breath, begin marching in place. You can either pause the video or just let it go. When you feel you’ve recovered, pick back up. Over time, you’ll find you need fewer breaks and for shorter periods of time until you can complete the full session without the breaks. Patience and perseverance will get you there.

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The poster above me is right! You don't have to keep up with the video youre following, go at your own pace and just push yourself as hard as you can. If you have to pause the video to take a breather or a drink of water then do that, but go back and finish your workout. Before you know it you'll be doing 2 or 3 videos in a row without blinking!

When I first started out I was really unfit. I was out of breath just walking up stairs! I found Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred a great DVD to build up some cardio endurance. It really helped with my fitness level. The first day I did the video I was sweating and panting and had to pause the workout multiple times! But by the end of the week I could get through the whole 30 minutes. I really enjoyed it too because I'm not the biggest fan of cardio. 30DS is a mix of cardio and body weight exercises. So for every cardio part on the DVD there were 2 body weight parts. So that really broke the DVD up, made the time go a little faster and gave me a chance to catch my breath between cardio moves!

I also found pilates a nice way of building up my strength. I followed Blogilates on youtube and started with the beginners calender (found on blogilates.com). It was a nice easy way to start off but in just 4 weeks my strength improved dramatically. And my body had shaped up a lot too!

So if you are finding fitnessblender a bit too tough to start off with, try something else :) You can always work up to fitnessblender workout videos!
  • Spedangie
    Spedangie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It IS demoralizing when you think "if this is beginner level, I'll never do this"! Keep in mind that not everyone views 'beginner' in the same way. Don't give up, follow the excellent advice above, and just take as many breaks as you need, then pick up when your body, heart and lungs tell you it's okay! You do need to push yourself just a little, but persevere and you will be amazed what a few weeks of staying with it will accomplish.
    Many years ago when I was overweight and sedentary, I decided that I was going to start jogging to "take off some weight". So I put on some baggy shorts, put on my old tennis shoes and out the door I went, with plans to jog allll the way up the road to the top of a little hill. HA! I didn't even make it a quarter of the way before I had to walk, panting for breath. But I made myself head up that road every day, and every day I came up very short of the top of that blankety-blank hill. After a couple of weeks I noticed I was breathing a little easier, and had to walk less before I could resume the (very low paced) jogging effort. Then one day, lo and behold, I did make it all the way to the top of that sucker! Not only make it up but continue jogging down the other side.
    By the end of the next month I was jogging a couple of miles; that turned into 6 miles fairly quickly.
    So don't give up. Push just a little, take as many breaks as you need, but go back to it as soon as you have recovered your breath. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is fitness. Be proud of what you ARE doing, keep it up, and that will lead to what you CAN do.
    Hang in there.
  • Jeanlastchance
    Jeanlastchance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To the poster above, that reminds me of when I first started running. Set my destination, and it ended up being a walk/run, there and back. I gradually increased the running and decreased the walking until I was running all the way.
  • Pink_Tink
    Pink_Tink Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys :) some really great advice!
    x
  • K757B
    K757B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Jessica Smith's YouTube channel. She has good beginner level workouts. Her walks are a really good place to start.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Maybe try doing them at a slower pace? You could try out Leslie Sansone's dvds. I think they are also on YouTube.
  • donnakolb
    donnakolb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try Sworkit application available for your smartphone or tablet. When I can't do one of the exercises, I do something else that I can do. Just do what you can. You'll build up to more reps over time.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest that you try a Leslie Sansone walking video. Amazon has them for really good prices. I like the Express Walk set. It comes with a 1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile workout session. The 1 mile is about 20 minutes. It is very low impact, but it's a good workout.
  • KimberlyinMN
    Options
    I don't see the Express workouts at good prices, but this one has five 1-mile walks. You can do 1 mile every day. Leslie Sansone: Walk at Home - 5 Day Slim Down - A Mile Each Morning
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have Hulu plus on your TV but I do and there's some really great beggininer workout on that there like 20 min vidios but there very basis and good exercises to start out with just try your best I do two 20 min vidios a day
  • KimberlyinMN
    Options
    This is also a really good one: Leslie Sansone: Mix & Match Walk Blasters. I have several of hers, although now I also do Hip Hop Abs & Zumba Gold.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    the old Richard Simmons videos are good for beginners.