FITBIT Charge HR VS Surge

Options
Hello pretties!

So I'm an avid Fitbit flex user, have had it forever and I love it to pieces. I know the Charge HR and the Surge are both our right now and I'm wondeirng what the main differences are, and why you guys have chose one over the other. I know the surge has GPS but as someone who doesn't run (I do however love to walk) I'm wondering if its worth the extra $100 as that really seems to be the only difference I can find. I love tech, I had the bodymedia and if it wasn't so ugly I would have just kept that. I like that these both have HR, but I'm really not sure what makes one better. Let me know, y'all! :D

Replies

• JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I watched reviews on both yesterday. The surge has an ungodly amount of options for tracking workouts -- even weight lifting. To be honest, it overwhelmed me. It is touchscreen and you swipe through all the options (I would forget where they all are and be late doing a workout).

Personally, after seeing its functionality -- it seems a bit much for your average person AND it is huge. The Charge HR is much more practical--both for working out, day-to-day usage, and size. I would totally go with the Charge HR.

I personally just bought the Flex. I love it....but I bought it from work without actually reviewing all the Fitbits on the market. I am pissed I didn't get the Charge HR for $50 more bucks :/
  • hollymonster312
    hollymonster312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That does seem really helpful. I'm a pretty casual user. I love the data but I don't need to track how many minutes i lift weights! I was interested in teh Basis too but the linking with MFP is key. Looks like the Charge HR is for me.
  • lukemccoy1
    lukemccoy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the differences the other day and decided to get the Charge HR. I had a Flex before. The main reasons I switched was to get the constant heartbeat monitoring, steps climbed and automatic sleep tracking. I always forgot to turn my flex on and/or off sleep mode so I never tracked my sleep much.

The reasons I didn't go with the Surge is because I read that didn't track your heartbeat during workouts as accurately as a chest strap. Which means I wouldn't use it in place of my chest strap on workouts (neither will the Charge HR). I don't have the need for the GPS tracking since my phone does that for me and I take it on any outdoor workouts. It also seemed a bit bigger which I thought may bother me while I was sleeping since I planned on wearing it to track my sleep.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I honestly really wanted the Surge but ended up getting the Charge HR. I initially went with the Charge because I was able to get it during a pre-sale in early December. After seeing the size, and seeing that the Surge is about twice as big, I'm glad I did. I have pretty tiny wrists, and even buying the small, I am on the second to last or third to last hole in the band. The Surge would dwarf my wrist.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I thought about the surge, mainly for the text notifications, but then I saw one.

I figured wearing a buick on my wrist world create some sort of a Strength imbalance, so I passed.
  • benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've watched and read some reviews about the surge. The fact that you need a few minutes before it has a satellite fix and you can start running will become annoying VERY fast.
    Not gonna do that for $100 extra.
  • time_for_Jen
    time_for_Jen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got the HR today. The surge just seems too bulky and is basically only a couple steps down from a smartwatch which isn't what I wanted. Not worth the extra, even though I run!
  • hollymonster312
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm saving up to buy the Charge HR. I'm really excited to get it!
  • USAAirman
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'm actually interested in buying one as well, I'm stuck between the HR and Surge. If you are a runner, you probably are better off with a polar wrist watch, I do want to be able to "count" my calories when doing a workout, I've had the Fitbit One and it doesn't really count "workout calories" so I was wondering if the Charge HR, or the Surge would count that? So many trackers out there, so difficult to choose one.
  • dougpconnell219
    Options
    I have a charge hr. It does count workout calories.

My next gadget is this...

http://gizmodo.com/garmin-forerunner-920xt-the-best-triathlon-watch-gets-1641114744
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and really like it. A friend has the Surge and it looks like she's got a VCR strapped to her wrist. No thanks.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

http://gizmodo.com/garmin-forerunner-920xt-the-best-triathlon-watch-gets-1641114744

OMG that has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
  • USAAirman
    Options

Is it separate from daily steps? Can I put the charge HR in workout mode?

Also will it keep track of heart beat during workouts? Of course I know it won't be good as wearing a chest strap, buy not fan of wearing a chest strap.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I went with the charge because I didn't need GPS and the Surge looked massive.
  • germaine_yee
    germaine_yee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am going to buy the fitbit charge hr bc of the pulse based heart rate because it is easy to use comparing the chest strap. Surge is nice but pricy, I will buy another brand in that price.
  • FalconiGirl
    Options
    Just ordered my charge hr too! Can't wait to try it out!
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've got a charge hr. I don't run so I don't need gps. If I'm cycling I'll have my phone.

It seems pretty accurate with heart rate (but I'm ultra pale skinned so I'm not sure if that helps with the led lights?)
    It doesn't give me crazy cals for work outs - 300ish for 45mins of spin or body pump.
    - more for running on the treadmill followed by weights.
    Its also subtle enough to wear everyday without being questioned about what it is
  • dougpconnell219
    Options
    USAAirman wrote: »

Is it separate from daily steps? Can I put the charge HR in workout mode?

Also will it keep track of heart beat during workouts? Of course I know it won't be good as wearing a chest strap, buy not fan of wearing a chest strap.

Yes, you can put the charge hr in workout mode by holding the button.

Yes, it keeps track of hr during workouts. I have found it to be dead on with the hr on cardio equipment.

Every person I've met that gripes about the accuracy in real life was wearing it wrong. You have to wear it one fingers width above the wrist bone, three to four when working out.

My only gripe is that it isn't waterproof, so I can't swim in it.
  • USAAirman
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    I've got a charge hr. I don't run so I don't need gps. If I'm cycling I'll have my phone.

It seems pretty accurate with heart rate (but I'm ultra pale skinned so I'm not sure if that helps with the led lights?)
    It doesn't give me crazy cals for work outs - 300ish for 45mins of spin or body pump.
    - more for running on the treadmill followed by weights.
    Its also subtle enough to wear everyday without being questioned about what it is

So is it worth buying to track workout calories? If you sat yes....I want to buy it, if not. No.

• hollymonster312
    Options
    I've had the charge HR now for a bit, and I love it. You can put it into work out mode from the watch or the app. If you run outdoors and use your phone you can turn your phones GPS on to get a more accurate distance, pace, splits, and all that from the app. If anyone has any questions about the HR feel free to message me :smiley: