How to overcome food guilt

Options
I'm guessing a lot of us, WHATEVER our history with weight, either grew up with or acquired along the way a massive guilt complex when it comes to eating "too much", eating "too much at once", or eating "unhealthy things" (all in quotes because they are entirely subjective and generally misguided ideas, it's all about finding an overall balance, etc).

If you struggled with this AND BEAT IT--what helped? Did you just tell yourself to ove up? Did you practice "eating too much" over and over? What *healthy* (non-purging, non-punishing) strategies did you use to get yourself through the emotionally tough times afterwards? Any mantras to share?

Replies

• kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a little guilt because I have over indulged, or gave in to w craving, etc. I try to focus on the successes I have had. I find that that helps.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm doing IF, and I have an open diary. I've never, ever been happier while restricting calories. I know it's not for everyone but I get to pig out at night, and I don't care what anyone says anymore because I'm losing 5 pounds a month. Plus, this is the first time I've slept at night, the whole night through, without waking up starving at 3:00 am. This is a life style change I can live with. When I finally get to maintenance I will open the window to being able to eat a small late lunch. I'm really happy now. So my mantra, "I'm happy now". :smiley: