Can't even eat 1200 sometimes.

Options
My daily calorie goal is 1540. I've been doing this for just about 5 weeks and have lost 13 lbs. Lately, especially on my hard workout days, it's hard to even eat 1200 sometimes, and then when I finish logging for the day, it tells me I'm eating too few calories. How important is it to really eat 1200? I'm not starving myself; if I'm hungry, I eat. But if I'm not hungry, do I really need to make myself consume more calories? If so, what are some good ideas for foods to get those calories?

Replies

• sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I find that the protein drinks taste pretty good and are full of calories if you need to get more.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing going on. I get busy sometimes and forget to eat and for some reason my appetite has been a lot less this week. I think it was all the food over the weekend for Mother's day.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty important (for the sake of your metabolism). I have been struggling with it this past week too...I'm hoping to start incorperating higher calorie breakfasts since I seem to stay on the go the rest of the day and don't eat as much.
  • ErinLouiseBellamy
    ErinLouiseBellamy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey im the same..it seems that i could eat tonnes of junk food at thousands of calories a go but when it comes to healthy foods and meeting my daily goal which is 1200 i feel like im ALWAYS eating. ive just got to 968 today and i feel like ive eaten tonnes of food. I bought some slimfast powder which has 217calories in it , its evenly balanced with carbs protein fat etc, and im keeping those by to have if i cant make up the calories. if you cant make it dont force yourself but do try, also things like nuts etc will bump up your calories...hth..:)
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well dang I wish I was more like you then! Cause I am really hungry and I usually eat all my calories :/
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I never get the 1200, I'm vegan though so it can be real tough to get that many calories anyway, but I think with my metabolism, I don't need as many calories as other folk, I don't think I ever ate 2000 before dieting. So I think it really depends on your own individual traits. I'd never eat without wanting to, I think it defeats the purpose! If you lost too much weight, then worry, but for now, chill and do what feels right for you until your body tells you otherwise :) Body always knows best :) Good luck x
  • missp2101
    missp2101 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi
    You need to eat at least 1200 daily as yuor metabolic rate will slow down and weight loss can then also do the same.
    Protein shakes are a good idea especially after any excercise.
    I sometimes struggle too & I have found having a few snacks between meals such as nuts or crackers even a slice of toast can also help.
    if it helps you I am trying to up my calorie intake too.

Hope this helps
    Steph.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Not an uncommon dilemma for a lot of us. Eating issues are often like a pendulum that swing from over eating to under eating. Try incorporating nuts into your daily meals, sprinkled on your salad or a handful before working out... or avocados, bananas, raspberries, hummus (roasted chick peas are yummy) etc.... If you are having a hard time eating any of those you may have a mental issue you are dealing with... like not wanting to eat the higher calories and therefore your brain is telling you you aren't hungry. I have that problem. Eating the healthier versions of the calories keeps me from feeling bad about eating them, so they go down easier. I just lost my appetite when I started losing weight. I am especially not hungry when I'm close to the next size down in clothing. It's a tough struggle, but I will not go under 1200 calories by more than 10 calories or so. I am going to beat this eating issue once and for all. I hope, if this is what you are dealing with, you can too.
  • CallieCrocker
    Options
    I've been struggling with the same thing lately! I'm working out all the time, but I don't see any results...and I've been told it's because I eat too little. I'm usually under my calorie goal for the day, and people have advised me to eat MORE in order to weigh LESS...I don't get it, but I hope they're right. I've started keeping nuts and slimfast drinks on-hand if I need the extra calorie push. Also, as one previous poster mentioned, I plan to eat a higher calorie breakfast in hopes that that will help me reach my calorie goal.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more healthy fats like avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc. It's healthy for you, reduces cholesterol, and is 9 calories per gram as opposed to carbs/protein which is 4 calories per gram. Even body builders who reach ultra-low body fat percentages eat as mucha s 30% of their diet as fat. Dietary fat is different from body fat -- the fat you eat isn't automatically turned into fat on your body. The low-fat craze is a little blown out of proportion. I like to make a trail mix of raw nuts/cranberries/raisins that is super calorie dense. The one I have right now is 550 calories for a single cup. Just make sure that you keep the amount of SATURATED fat in your diet low and you should be fine.

2. Eat more meals throughout the day. If your breakfast and lunch are only 200-300 calories on average, it's time to start eating 5 meals a day.

3. Drink your calories. Milk, juice, protein shakes, etc.
  • alishathiel
    alishathiel Posts: 16
    Options
    The posts I've read indicate that you should not go below 1200 to get adequate nutrition. Regarding eating your exercise calories, I've also read that the more weight you have to lose, the less exercise calories you need to consume because your body does not go into starvation mode until you are very close to your goal weight. With myself having 50+ LBS to lose I can't imagine eating over my 1350 calorie goal to replace all the calories (fat) I just worked so hard to burn. Good luck!