Kefir....who else likes it??

Options
Iceprincessk25
Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
So the store was out of the normal yogurt smoothie that I drink in the morning so I was forced to buy Kefir last week. Let me just say that I LOVE it. I did some research on it and I LOVED what I found out even more. My stomach gets irritated all the time from random things I eat so I am down for all the friendly bacteria I can get!!

I tried the Vanilla Kefir and that is WAAAAAY too tart for me but I am a BIG fan of the strawberry flavor. Low cal, low sugar, low fat, high protein.....perfect for morning breakfast. I have 6 oz and 2 TBSP of liquid egg white mixed in from egg whites international.

Here's some more info.

Both Kefir and Yogurt are cultured milk products but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match.

Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.

It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites.

Kefir’s active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy. Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, the elderly and people experiencing chronic fatigue and digestive disorders.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it.....
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it, but I am in a fermenting food mode at the moment (kimchi is festering in the corner, made yoghurt last night) and am very keen to get hold of some kefir grains in order to make some.

I have never seen it on sale here, But I definitely want to get hold of some!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Neither had I until I was forced to look for something else. It's pretty fantastic.
  • hjacenko
    hjacenko Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but I was thinking of trying it. Thanks for the review.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    you can get it from russian/polish shops and it even sometimes comes flavored like strawberry or chocolate! its pretty good
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Most of the grocery stores here carry it. Target, Whole Foods, Albertsons, etc.

Lifeway is the brand that I got and they have a Store locator on the website.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I personally like Kefir better than yogurt, just because it is easy to drink. And I found some of the plain yogurt are simply too sour.
    By the way what's the correct spelling for "yogert"? I always have hard time...
  • leelee243
    leelee243 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    they also make salad dressings! Rich, yummy, creamy RANCH for 60cal per serving! (vs 220 Hidden Valley)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Ooooh I'll have to try the salad dressing!
  • Alyosha22
    Alyosha22 Posts: 15
    Options
    I will not be without it! I make my own. I found a supplier of kefir grains (through a google search) and I make about 8-20 ounces a day with goat milk I get from a local supplier. It takes about 3 minutes of labor start to finish every day and it is soooo good!

I've tried lifeway and I like it just fine, but as easy as it is to make, I'd suggest to give it a try if you have the urge. It is like the difference between store bought bread and home-made bread (except this is so easy to make). You'll taste/feel the difference. At least see if you can tolerate the Lifeway plain and mix it up with some fresh strawberries of your own....might make a good thing even better for you!

Kefir, I can say without reservation, is one of only two or three things that I can consume and actually feel a positive benefit from. It is on my short list of three things I attribute to my good health now (MFP and fish oil as the other two). Two big thumbs up for kefir!
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt, so if this is better, I will definitely have to try it! Thanks for the heads up! :flowerforyou:
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time when I was younger. Loved the raspberry and strawberry flavors. Sooo tasty!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I will not be without it! I make my own. I found a supplier of kefir grains (through a google search) and I make about 8-20 ounces a day with goat milk I get from a local supplier. It takes about 3 minutes of labor start to finish every day and it is soooo good!

I've tried lifeway and I like it just fine, but as easy as it is to make, I'd suggest to give it a try if you have the urge. It is like the difference between store bought bread and home-made bread (except this is so easy to make). You'll taste/feel the difference. At least see if you can tolerate the Lifeway plain and mix it up with some fresh strawberries of your own....might make a good thing even better for you!

Kefir, I can say without reservation, is one of only two or three things that I can consume and actually feel a positive benefit from. It is on my short list of three things I attribute to my good health now (MFP and fish oil as the other two). Two big thumbs up for kefir!

That's awesome that you make it yourself! Is it really that quick to make in the morning? I like the premade stuff cuz I can just pour it an go. I'll have to check into that.

The lifeway plain was a little too tart for me. I tried to jazz it up but I just couldn't do it.

I'm really looking forward to the health benefits from it. My stomach hasn't had any issues since I started drinking it which I think is fantastic.
  • Alyosha22
    Alyosha22 Posts: 15
    Options
    It is that easy! Just pour some milk over the grains in a glass mason jar and put a cloth with a rubber band holding it in place over the mouth of the jar. In a day, strain the grains and capture the fluid that comes through....that's the kefir. Transfer the grains to a new glass jar and pour some fresh milk over the top of it and the process begins again! It is like a little countertop garden in a jar that you can harvest every day. I usually strain my in the evening and I keep the kefir that I've strained in the fridge to blend up in smoothies in the morning. I use it in recipes too....whenever they call for milk (in pancakes and waffles, etc). If you're curious, give it a shot....those grains are very hearty and it is tough to mess up. Keep in mind, folks in the caucus mountains have been doing this for centuries in environments less controlled (and sanitary) than your average kitchen today....and they kept those grains alive and thriving for all this time without a problem. It is pretty cool to see those grains and to know that they have such a lineage!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love Kefir! Just tried it at the beginning of the year. Trader Joe's was sampling their pomegranite flavor. I actually got used to the plain and drink it when I need a quick boost, like before the gym. You can also use it to replace buttermilk in recipes...which is great, because I never have buttermilk on hand. It works much better than doing the sour your own trick of adding vinegar or lemon juice to plain milk for recipes.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Love all these ideas for Kefir! Awesome!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I drink plain Kefir by the bottle full. Not even joking.

Add in some SF/FF Chocolate Syrup and some cinnamon and I may be tempted for 2.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I drink plain Kefir by the bottle full. Not even joking.

Add in some SF/FF Chocolate Syrup and some cinnamon and I may be tempted for 2.

See...I totally tried to do that and it just came out nasty. :sick:
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting. I have a milk allergy but usually do ok with yogurts. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    yes kefir and greek yoghurt, love them both.