Water Intake

Options

Hello fellow fitness pals. I really struggle to drink more than half a litre of water a day. I work out 6 days a week, mix of high intensity cardio and training at the gym. Does drinking a lot of water really help to shift the pounds?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You drink 500ml fluids a day? I don't think that's right, you'd be seriously dehydrated. What other fluids do you drink, they all count
  • jendpositive
    jendpositive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey Rabbitjb, I drink 3 cups of coffee and about 7 cups of tea a day all with no fat milk. I don't feel dehydrated.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're drinking ample fluids.
    No, drinking more than necessary won't make a noticeable difference in fat loss.
  • chestboy76
    Options
    You should be drinking .6 ounces of water per pound. Tea and coffee rob your body of hydration as they are diuretics. Ex: if you weigh 100 pounds, drink 60 ounces (2 litres) per day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    chestboy76 wrote: »
    You should be drinking .6 ounces of water per pound. Tea and coffee rob your body of hydration as they are diuretics. Ex: if you weigh 100 pounds, drink 60 ounces (2 litres) per day.

Just bro-science.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Where do people come up with these things? I mean, seriously?

Even MFP insists on spreading the 8 glasses per day myth.

Hydration comes from pretty much anything we drink or eat. Drinking more water is a good thing if it's replacing higher-calorie alternatives, but there's no magic involved in drinking more water if you're not dehydrated.
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

For me that would be: 144oz or 18 cups a day. Dude you can _over_ hydrate. This is the kind of advice that lands people in a hospital, at the very least with a kidney stone at the larger end something horrible.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

Maybe you are going from the fact that 66% (.66/1lb of bw) of the body is liquid?

From what I've read, drinking water periodically through the day is better than drinking once a day several glasses worth (glass being typically 2-3 cups). Beyond that "listen to your body". Thats the only advice Ive seen thus far.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I drink to thirst... and that happens to be over 100oz per day.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I take bottles of water with me to work and just drink 3-6 16.9fl oz ones during my shift. And I also take a bottle with me to the gym that I drink and I drink one at home.
  • MBL512
    MBL512 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have always gone by the thinking that I should be drinking enough each day for my urine to be a very pale yellow. If a moderate or darker yellow, then I drink more. If clear, I can feel free to cut back a bit. That has always worked for me to maintain a good hydration level.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »

For me that would be: 144oz or 18 cups a day. Dude you can _over_ hydrate. This is the kind of advice that lands people in a hospital, at the very least with a kidney stone at the larger end something horrible.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

Maybe you are going from the fact that 66% (.66/1lb of bw) of the body is liquid?

From what I've read, drinking water periodically through the day is better than drinking once a day several glasses worth (glass being typically 2-3 cups). Beyond that "listen to your body". Thats the only advice Ive seen thus far.
    You typically don't get kidney stones from over hydration.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »

If I don't drink ~16-20 8-oz cups of water a day I get dehydrated. I'm ~160lbs.
    Listening to my body yields me drinking legit 0-2 cups of water a day. I don't "feel" thirsty unless I'm drinking properly, I have to force myself into the habit of proper consumption. This is without including water while working out (so e.g. it'd be closer to 30oz on workout days for optimal hydration). You have to be drinking a looot of water to wind up in the hospital because of it. I mean, if you drank those 18 cups all at once then yeah, not smart. I personally go by whether my lips are chapped or not and whether my urine is fairly light yellow to determine that I'm drinking enough, and to ensure clearer urine and comfortable non-chapped lips (when dehydrated htey will split just from me smiling) I need at least 16 8oz glasses.

lifehacker.com/5986895/how-much-water-do-i-actually-need-to-drink-every-day

• mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You typically don't get kidney stones from over hydration.

Had it happen to me a few times now, or so the doctors told me. Only reason I know it can happen though is anecdotally.

Regarding following response: you are right, I was looking at it from a crazy level because every time I approach 100oz of water I end up in the hospital for some reason or another. And I tend to spread it out, pee frequently afterwards, kidneys are fine beyond stones caused by over hydration. So yeah I go back to the point of "just drink as much as your body tells you"
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    MBL512 wrote: »
    I have always gone by the thinking that I should be drinking enough each day for my urine to be a very pale yellow. If a moderate or darker yellow, then I drink more. If clear, I can feel free to cut back a bit. That has always worked for me to maintain a good hydration level.

Nailed it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    hydration.png