Ankles hurt

Options
Despite doing 5-10 minute warm ups I noticed the last couple times I have done my cardio routine my ankles hurt quite a lot. Is this from over use? I've been working out 6 days a week for a month

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's a good guess. Overuse + weak hip and core making your lower body overcompensate.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I would check your shoes. I had trouble with my left hip flexor because of the shoes I was wearing. Shoes can make all the difference.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yea that would definitely make sense! Started working out when my daughter was 3 months old so my hips and core are probably the two weakest parts of my body currently. Should I push through it or do I need more rest?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    Strengthen the weak muscles! You can do targeted exercises. Google "myrtl exercises pdf" (sorry, I can't get the link to paste properly right now). They worked great for me! A day or two off couldn't hurt, either, but if the pain is pretty new, it shouldn't be too long til the exercises start helping.

The shoe advice is also good. How old/worn out are yours?
  • bettieb1988
    Options
    Thanks so much! The pain is relatively new I've only noticed it twice now. Today I focused on my legs and core which maybe added to the ankle soreness I was experiencing. I actually do almost all of my workouts entirely in my home, unless it's weight lifting day at the gym, so most of the time I'm completely barefoot! Haha
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    Oh, definitely switch to shoes. The extra support, especially for side-to-side movements, can make a difference.

(I used to do cardio videos at home barefoot and wound up with some foot problems, easily fixed by putting on sneakers. I know there are some people who are big proponents of barefoot or minimalist shoes for running, but in my experience that has made things worse for me.)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I prefer working out & running barefoot, but it's not for everyone.

It's hard to say how long it's been going on since it started when your dd was 3 mos, and we have no idea how old she is now lol. But my feeling is, if it's getting worse, alter what you're doing or at least take a rest. If it's the same or better, push through it.
  • bettieb1988
    Options
    I prefer working out & running barefoot, but it's not for everyone.

It's hard to say how long it's been going on since it started when your dd was 3 mos, and we have no idea how old she is now lol. But my feeling is, if it's getting worse, alter what you're doing or at least take a rest. If it's the same or better, push through it.

I'm not sure you read it right haha. I've been workin out 6 days a week for the last month and started when my daughter was 3 months old, that makes her now 4 months old ^_^

I'm just going to try it both ways, with shoes and without, and see which feels best!