Putting weight on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hi
I really need some help! I am trying to lose a few pounds, I have been do a strict diet now for about 6 weeks. I walk 2.5 miles five times a week at a brisk pace of 4 miles an hour.
My carb percentage is 45, protein is 35% and fat is 20%.
I have also set my daily calorie intake to 1000. I record everything that I eat.
I also have started drinking whey protein to make sure I get to my protein levels each day.
I thing is I have ACTUALLY gained weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no way that this is FLUID!!!!
Can anyone out there help me???? :((

Jean
56 years
121 pounds
5" 1'
I am trying to lose 3 pounds.

Thank you.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Trying for a 3lb loss? Go to the toilet.

If you're putting on body fat, and you're sure your weight gain isn't a normal fluctuation in scale weight, then you are eating at a calorie surplus.

Can we see your diary?
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi
    I am weighing ALL my food and even 'tweeking' the grams to make sure I'm spot on!
    I think I have my diary set at public !!
    Can you get In to see what I am doing?
    thanks
    Jean
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 3lbs? Why are you only eating 1000 cals?
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi
    To be honest, I have altered the calorie goal now! I just thought it would make a difference to my weight loss.
    On the days I do exercise I always seemed to be under the 1200 calories anyway.
    Jean

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi
    To be honest, I have altered the calorie goal now! I just thought it would make a difference to my weight loss.
    On the days I do exercise I always seemed to be under the 1200 calories anyway.
    Jean

If you're using MFPs settings you should eat back exercise cals.

You say you weigh everything you eat but there's a lot of measurements in cups in your diary which isn't as accurate.
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    There are a couple of items there in the last two weeks. The vermicelli was a container that I split over two days. There was no other way for me to measure it!! and the lentil soup and peas, I know a US cup size is UK equivalent to 240mls, so I halved that quantity.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am actually confused as to what you think you are going to achieve by losing 3lbs as it would just be a number on a scale ...it's not enough weight to make a visible difference unless you're titchy tiny

Are you looking to look trimmer? May I recommend a heavy, progressive lifting programme
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I get the 3lb Jean, I'm your height. That can very easily be the difference between an 8 and a 10, or an 8 fitting tightly round the waist and an 8 suddenly being comfy. There's nowhere to hide 3 lb at that height.
    However, a whole dress size is probably closer to 7lb at our height.

Your diary looks great. I'd see a GP - how's your thyroid? Have you had it tested?
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi Rabbit
    I think anybody trying to lose weight will always go by what is on the scales!! In fact that is how any 'weight loss programme' like MFP determines what calories I should consume daily, you are always asked to enter age/height and weight.
    I will gain a huge amount by losing that 3 lbs. I was a goal I set myself and I like to achieve it (although It looks like I need a little help) But is the amount of weight I want to lose irrelevant? I am clearly do something wrong.

Perhaps a positive answer may help other people who have the same problem. :)

Jean
    x

• jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi Ooci

You totally get me!! I love that. I unfortunately hold all my weight around the butt, so 3 lbs can make a lot of difference. It won't alter my dress size, it will just make the dress look al little looser.

Jean
    x
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Ooci

Sorry didn't answer the question about Thyroid! No I haven't had it checked, but I have checked the symptoms on-line and I don't seem to have a problem with my thyroid, although my Mum does (not sure if it's hereditary)

Jean
    x
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're misunderstanding. Yes of course weight on the scale is the overall goal but as you approach it one's goals can move more towards how you look in the mirror, how you fit your clothes, measurements, body fat %, fitness goals. I meant is the 3lb figure on the scale going to achieve anything beyond a vanity weight that only you know about ...it's an honest question, it may well be the 3lbs that gets rid of the final belly pooch, who knows? (And no I don't know if you have a belly pooch :smile: )

It's fine to have a goal ...I didn't for a moment say not to do it

I was just asking what do you want to achieve? Do you want to tighten up, have more definition, visible abs etc? In which case a progressive weight lifting programme could probably help you more.

Hi Rabbit
    I think anybody trying to lose weight will always go by what is on the scales!! In fact that is how any 'weight loss programme' like MFP determines what calories I should consume daily, you are always asked to enter age/height and weight.
    I will gain a huge amount by losing that 3 lbs. I was a goal I set myself and I like to achieve it (although It looks like I need a little help) But is the amount of weight I want to lose irrelevant? I am clearly do something wrong.

Perhaps a positive answer may help other people who have the same problem. :)

Jean
    x

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It will! But you're a lucky lady as a pear - jealous as I'm a very definite apple.

Just keep going with this. It may be that increased activity is altering your weight with increased muscle, and the number may take time to adjust down. Keep photographing your behind! And as rabbit says, the weight lifting would really nail this.

It can also happen that you see nothing for weeks and then a sudden 2 lb drop.
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi Ooci and Rabbit
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Unfortunately weight lifting is not something I enjoy, to be honest. I would 'power walk' all day long. I think I have gained more muscle by walking.
    Jean
    xx

• Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Ooci and Rabbit
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Unfortunately weight lifting is not something I enjoy, to be honest. I would 'power walk' all day long. I think I have gained more muscle by walking.
    Jean
    xx

You don't gain muscle in a defecit unfortunately

The general advice is to walk 10K steps a day ...that's more like 5 miles than 2.5 ...perhaps you could increase your daily activity ...that might give you the boost you need

Edit to note: that's total steps across the day and you probably do more than the 2.5 miles you are putting down as purposeful exercise
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Rabbit
    You clearly know way more than I do, and I will increase my daily activity to see if that helps.
    Thanks
    Jean
    x
  • jeanevans268
    Options
    Hi
    I really need some help! I am trying to lose a few pounds, I have been do a strict diet now for about 6 weeks. I walk 2.5 miles five times a week at a brisk pace of 4 miles an hour.
    My carb percentage is 45, protein is 35% and fat is 20%.
    I have also set my daily calorie intake to 1000. I record everything that I eat.
    I also have started drinking whey protein to make sure I get to my protein levels each day.
    I thing is I have ACTUALLY gained weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is no way that this is FLUID!!!!
    Can anyone out there help me???? :((

Jean
    53 years
    121 pounds
    5" 1'
    I am trying to lose 3 pounds.

Thank you.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With only 3 pounds to go, logging needs to be pretty tight. You can have 3 pounds of fluctuation a day.