Anybody a sugar addict? Want to give it up together?

Options

Replies

• dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Op and everyone else expressing a wish to cut/remove sugar....

Why?

I removed white sugar from my diet completely when my blood sugar started to get out of control and I was getting dizzy after an ice cream. I was worried I was headed for diabetes. I still had a bit of raw sugar in my coffee, but other than that the only sugars I had were the ones naturally occurring in foods. It seemed to help. I didn't get dizzy anymore. After a couple of years I reintroduced foods with white sugar added, but I still keep them to a minimum - essentially I only eat them if there's no alternative around and it's a food I really want.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm low carb - feel free to add me. Also come check out the low carbers group for tons of ideas. I've cut out a whole lot of sugar and I don't feel at all deprived or sad.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

Why?

Personally I'm diabetic. The whole moderation thing doesn't work for me when it comes to sugar.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OP, why?

I simply feel a whole lot better with minimal processed sugar in my diet. And the opposite is also true: I feel sluggish and basically lousy after having something more than an occasional treat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

Why?

I try to cut sugar as it is a relatively easy way to reduce calories - not having sugar in coffee, switching to diet sodas, cutting down on sweets.
    - I can do that without drastically changing my lifestyle.

However I make no silly claims about removing sugar altogether, and I certainly do have chocolates, desserts etc on moderation.

• scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stay away from refined sugar products, one day at a time, as I am certainly a 'sugar-addict', and have been since I was a young child.
    I have never know the concept of 'having enough', and when I eat a bar of chocolate, piece of cake, etc., it simply causes a demand inside me for more, more, more. One piece of chocolate is too much, as then a hundred pieces are not enough. I just don't have a 'stop' switch once I start. Apart from the obvious weight gain, and diabetes risk, which results from this over indulgence, I find that I end up having a 'sugar-crash' - no energy, low mood, unproductive etc. as they say "what goes UP, must come DOWN!"
    So, for me, if I don't take the first bit of chocolate, then I won't fall into a binge!
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    athena61 wrote: »
    OP, why?

I simply feel a whole lot better with minimal processed sugar in my diet. And the opposite is also true: I feel sluggish and basically lousy after having something more than an occasional treat.

I feel the same.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why?

Why reduce sugar???

Easy - quick and simple route to a calorie deficit!!

Question to you!!

OP has made (as an adult) a decisions (although poorly worded, in the original post, i would suggest) to reduce her sugar intake - what does it matter.

I'm sure most people aren't ignorant enough to believe the OP means to cut sugar to zero and have the ability to not read things so literally.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why?

I try to cut sugar as it is a relatively easy way to reduce calories - not having sugar in coffee, switching to diet sodas, cutting down on sweets.
    - I can do that without drastically changing my lifestyle.

However I make no silly claims about removing sugar altogether, and I certainly do have chocolates, desserts etc on moderation.

All of this.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    OP, why?

I feel the same.

Me too. And SAD makes me sad. I get really depressed after a day or two of eating junk.
  • Sugarbeat
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why?

Why reduce sugar???

Question to you!!

OP has made (as an adult) a decisions (although poorly worded, in the original post, i would suggest) to reduce her sugar intake - what does it matter.

I'm sure most people aren't ignorant enough to believe the OP means to cut sugar to zero and have the ability to not read things so literally.

+1

She didn't say she was cutting out all sugar. She specifically said sweets (I took to mean candy), cakes, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    OP, why?

I feel the same.

Me too. And SAD makes me sad. I get really depressed after a day or two of eating junk.

Heh, I read this as Seasonal Affective Disorder at first, and was about to say "well, of course! Me too!"

However, now that I'm following, this is what always annoys me about these discussions. I'm assuming by SAD you mean eating tons of sugar and fast food or some such (although I still want to see where SAD is defined, because it's certainly not the traditional midwestern American diet I grew up with, which was basically meat, potatoes/corn (sometimes spaghetti, but never "pasta"), plus veggies, poorly cooked--the poorly cooked bit might just be my family, since my mom hates cooking and is only good at a few things). Lots of us see no reason to cut out sugar or eat low carb (not that there's anything wrong with it for those who do), but still generally eat a healthy diet that is not what is currently called the "SAD."

To suggest that one either cuts out sugar or eats in a stereotypical "bad" way is the all or nothing thinking that I think can be quite unhelpful for many--either they are eating "clean" or in a "diet" way (which for many seems to mean no sweets, low fat, small servings, etc.) or they are whole hog the other way. (Not that there's anything wrong with hogs either.)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Why?

Why reduce sugar???

Question to you!!

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

I was merely curious as to why the OP and others chose to cut/remove sugar, as it's something that has never given me any issues and something I am able to fit in to my balanced dietary intake.

I assumed the purpose of a discussion forum was to discuss things.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP, why?

I feel the same.

Heh, I read this as Seasonal Affective Disorder at first, and was about to say "well, of course! Me too!"

However, now that I'm following, this is what always annoys me about these discussions. I'm assuming by SAD you mean eating tons of sugar and fast food or some such (although I still want to see where SAD is defined, because it's certainly not the traditional midwestern American diet I grew up with, which was basically meat, potatoes/corn (sometimes spaghetti, but never "pasta"), plus veggies, poorly cooked--the poorly cooked bit might just be my family, since my mom hates cooking and is only good at a few things). Lots of us see no reason to cut out sugar or eat low carb (not that there's anything wrong with it for those who do), but still generally eat a healthy diet that is not what is currently called the "SAD."

To suggest that one either cuts out sugar or eats in a stereotypical "bad" way is the all or nothing thinking that I think can be quite unhelpful for many--either they are eating "clean" or in a "diet" way (which for many seems to mean no sweets, low fat, small servings, etc.) or they are whole hog the other way. (Not that there's anything wrong with hogs either.)

Yeah, standard American diet. But to be fair (not that I feel very fair toward our idiot subsidy system) my version was about three times the cake, cookies, soda, and ice cream of the average American couch potato.

I like how I feel on very low carb right now anyway, which by its nature means junkfood and bread are out, I have lots of energy, I'm in a much better mood, so it works for me. But I don't think everyone needs to go to that extreme. I was at one time an extreme example of obesity and overeating, and now I'm half the woman I used to be, so I'm an extreme version of weight loss without surgery, so it's no wonder I have to be a bit extreme to not gain it back.
  • eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes I need to give up sugars, it has caused havoc on my body and I seem to be addicted and keep eating. It has caused enough trouble..Kindly, anyone wishing to join in support please post with me on my page so we can support each other. I am a natural eater, cook everything from scratch. But, this is not enough. How do we overcome the cravings?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AdieEve wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    So sorry to hear you won't be eating any more fruits, vegetables, breads, etc. My condolences.

Don't be pedantic. You know she means added sugars.
    if she is addicted then it would be all sugars….

you can't be an alcoholic and just be addicted to whiskey but drink beer …..
  • Jolinia
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear you won't be eating any more fruits, vegetables, breads, etc. My condolences.

I agree that people should use the word 'crave' rather than addicted. But mostly so we won't have to see any more posts like this. You know perfectly well what she means.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I agree that people should use the word 'crave' rather than addicted. But mostly so we won't have to see any more posts like this. You know perfectly well what she means.

no, I don't…

sugar is sugar…

you can't say one form bad, another form good..

or one form addictive and another form not addictive.

if you don't like my comments then stop commenting on them.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP, why?

I feel the same.

Yeah, standard American diet. But to be fair (not that I feel very fair toward our idiot subsidy system) my version was about three times the cake, cookies, soda, and ice cream of the average American couch potato.

And as I said, there are lots of "American diets" that aren't as the SAD is normally defined. I don't think how I grew up was especially atypical, and yet we didn't eat tons of sugar, certainly no soda as a routine beverage, cake, etc., as a rare treat, cookies after school but nothing crazy, and a normal balanced dinner with veggies. My friends with kids around here are much more health conscious, so their kids eat far better diets than I probably did, especially since the produce available is greater, at least in variety and despite the time of year (we had lots of canned veggies, which I am grateful I no longer have to struggle to like).
    I like how I feel on very low carb right now anyway, which by its nature means junkfood and bread are out, I have lots of energy, I'm in a much better mood, so it works for me. But I don't think everyone needs to go to that extreme. I was at one time an extreme example of obesity and overeating, and now I'm half the woman I used to be, so I'm an extreme version of weight loss without surgery, so it's no wonder I have to be a bit extreme to not gain it back.

I did lower carb (not low carb, but 100-125) when losing and less active and that worked for me then, and I'm a believer that low carb-ing is a good approach for some, but for me now I've found that I feel better on more carbs--I recently raised them again after experimenting with doing around 125 during January, and feel MUCH better and more energetic and like this is more sustainable. Not saying that applies to anyone but me (and my carbs are still not that terribly high and I'm not sure where they will end up), but it's why I think the idea that low carb is better or more healthy in general is silly. In fact, the general pattern of my meals isn't that different from what I described as my midwestern diet when growing up (protein, starch, veggies), although I don't have starch at every meal (usually 1-2 of them, depending), and add in some fruit and dairy too, and I don't consider that somehow unhealthy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

You could always edit the word yourself - I'm sure you have the ability, I can't be the only one.

I read the OP and understand that they mean they are looking to cut back on some of the sugary food they have a habit of eating, which they feel pushes them into a calorie surplus.

I really do hope that some of the posters on these threads that complain about the use of the word addiction or cut sugar are really not that 'challenged in their understanding' of the OP's meaning.