Anybody else here with an autoimmune disease?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Debsyjo
    Options
    I am 46 and with MS for 8 years now. :( Need to lose 40 lbs so that I start to feel a bit more like a human being again (and not an NHS pin cushion!) Meds have helped pile on some pounds but most of it is all my own work; became ill, forced to quit work, discovered daytime TV and the sofa. Washed down with a helping of self pity and mini cheddars and hey presto! :#
    It's soooo hard trying to stay relatively fit when your body is screaming at you most days.. Managed to do 20 minutes Xbox fitness this morning and paying for it already, and not in a good way. :'(
    Anyone feel like adding me please do, I rarely bite now (uses too much energy anyway!) and would love to swap day/week stories with others in the same situation. :)
    Debsyjo xx
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have Graves Disease and Celiac.

Clean eating made a big difference for me.
  • brlrcr22
    Options
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus and have "markers" for another autoimmune disorder but my doctors just haven't been able to give it a name yet. feel free to add me as well.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hashi's
    Feel free to add me
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I did AIP Paleo last year and it did help, but I found some issues with it. This year, I'm doing an anti-inflammatory diet with the addition of FODMAP removal and it seems to be much more energizing. There's honestly only a few differences between the two (I can have walnuts on one but not on the other, I can't have coconut on one but can on the other, etc).

What is your anti inflammatory diet? I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and now it's like Russian roulette when I eat whether or not I'm going to spend the next few hours in horrible crampy pain.
  • LEJ2015
    LEJ2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am currently suffering from 2 autoimmune disorders as well and I would love to gain more friends on here who are going through the same struggles. I have quite a bit of weight to lose and this journey isn't easy so having friends who understand where I'm coming from would be nice. Please feel free to add me if any of you are interested as it would nice to have motivation from other and to motivate you all. Thanks!
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pernicious anemia for me. Untreated. Doctors don't believe me when I say I eat meat and take vitamin supplements...
  • cynderella_1
    Options
    I have RA, Lupus and had treatments in 2010 for thyroid cancer. Trying for a healthier lifestyle to manage the pain and fatigue! Feel free to add me! I'm from NB, Canada :)
  • EmBurnie
    Options
    Marbles93 wrote: »
    I am new here. I have Juvenile onset sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am trying to get healthier after my liver enzymes spent the past year climbing. I thought it was the medications, but after stopping them, my liver still got worse. My Rheumy wants me to lose 20-25 pounds and see if that helps my liver function. I know that exercise will be hard, but I am hoping my new medication helps get my disease under control, allowing improved mobility.

Same here, but diagnosed as an adult. I was always overweight and gained more in college, then 12 years ago I lost 80 lbs and felt great, was very active for the first time in my life (at 22) then after 2 years BAM went from walking 10k 4 times a week to bairly being able to walk around the house. Doing much better than that now, but every day is a strugle and I've gained back 60lbs, which doesn't help.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people asking for the link to the Autoimmune club group (hopefully that works): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101948-autoimmune-club

For those with thyroid-related issues there is this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease for me. I hadn't realised it was such a common struggle for people with autoimmune diseases to lose weight, more so than people who are unafflicted. I just thought my hormones were to blame and it was just me!
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and RA. I didn't know about my thyroid last year and gained about 65 lbs in 4 months. The first doctor I went to give me a really condescending lecture on diet and exercise, although when I started packing on the weight I put myself on a restricted diet of 1350 calories, and I was still gaining. He blamed me and didn't listen when I told him something was wrong with my body. It wasn't until I saw my gynecologist a few months later that she was able to pinpoint my thyroid as culprit. Now that I have addressed the problem with medication, the weight is finally coming off. I've lost 24 lbs in 3 months, and still going strong.

It's comforting to read everyone's story about how they are overcoming their autoimmune diseases. It makes me more confident that I will be able to conquer mine.
  • mjbudz
    mjbudz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Transverse Myelitis (TM) here. I don't see anyone else with this listed although I did see a few with MS. TM & MS are like evil cousins. I am one of the few lucky that have 95% recovery. Annoying residual effects but I can walk & run unassisted.
  • dearestkayla
    dearestkayla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I to have ITP along with cronic Anemia. I'm on no medications but have my blood checked regularly. The extreme fatigue is what gets me.

I have had both ITP and anemia. My immune system decided to attack my red blood cells theb my platelets...at different times. They gave me retuxin 1 day/wk for six weeks to kill the cells that were attacking the other cells. As a result, I now have to get Ivig every month or in laymen terms I recieve antibodies because I have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. Which is practically a cluster of different disorders that all have the factors but different variables of what happened to the person.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    I see a lot of people asking for the link to the Autoimmune club group (hopefully that works): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101948-autoimmune-club

For those with thyroid-related issues there is this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Thank you for sharing these!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hashi's and Celiac disease! I am joining the Autoimmune club! Anyone who wants, feel free to add me, but please make a note saying something about autoimmune! Thanks!
  • CharissaGudknecht
    CharissaGudknecht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started a new Autoimmune Paleo group you should join.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103995-autoimmune-paleo
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am anemic. By the time i get in from work, cook, and exercise, it's all I can do to stay awake. I have to take it one day at a time.
  • crystal25387
    Options
    I have Crohn's Disease. Diagnosed in 1998. Since than, I've had numerous surgeries. Now the only thing I have left is a little bit of my small intestines. I have never let Crohn's stop me and now I am doing Insanity Max 30; modified version of course.