Shrove Tuesday

Options
joolsmd
joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
edited February 2015 in Recipes
I love pancakes (crepes for the US members) but every recipe I see is full of fat, sugar, or both. As much as I enjoy Nutella on my pancakes I would prefer a lower calorie recipe.

Anyone have any healthy Pancake Day recipes to share? :)

Replies

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lemon and sweetener?
  • csugden88
    csugden88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are loads of great recipes on pinterest. I have pinned a wholemeal version as i am trying to eat clean at the minute. I found this that I am going to try out with berries, greek yog and honey : http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/11/04/whole-wheat-oatmeal-pancakes/
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Applesauce or sliced apples and cinnamon - I'll be doing this

Mini chocolate chips and fat free Cool Whip or whipped yogurt (if you whip it yourself, add lecithin so it will stay fluffy)

Soft meringue
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Applesauce or sliced apples and cinnamon - I'll be doing this
    Mmmmmm... Pretty sure I will be doing this now. Thank you!

• maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There used to be a weight watchers recipe for them which was fairly good and made enough for me, which you can find on google and alter as you wish (I hate mine sweet, savoury all the way!). I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to link it but it would come up on the first page of any search.
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    2 eggs, 1 banana.

Take ingredients and blend in a food processor/blender/smoothie maker or mix together until the mixture is fully binded, if not mixed properly they come out like banana omelette basically.

Add to a frying pan on medium heat, spray with low cal oil or whatever oil you prefer, sometimes I use butter sometime I use a healthier option.

20 seconds each side then flip. Mixture makes around 6 "American style" pancakes (I'm from the UK so to me American style is the small, fat pancakes you see on the movies haha!)

I usually add some cacao for taste, some dark choc chips, some fruit and Greek yogurt or some a thin spread of nutella depending on which one I'm in the mood for. These pancakes taste amazing!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Medium heat whilst pan is heating up, then medium - low heat whilst they cook. **
  • Ywilliams82
    Ywilliams82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is a slimming world recipe where you only use an egg white & sweetener to make a pancake and tbh there rather nice the sweetener takes away the egg flavour & at only 14 calories you can add your favourite toppings
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'll be having 3-4 with sugar and lemon and one with peanut butter on for 'dessert'. yummy!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what you consider to be high in fat or sugar, but for what it's worth, I make a pancake recipe with rolled oats that works out to about 260 calories for 2 pancakes, 9 g protein,10g fat, 4g fiber, 13g sugar. I'm sure you could reduce that by using non-whole milk and subbing some other sweetener for the brown sugar. The pancakes are smallish because I like to be able to fit them in my toaster.

The quantities I use are just guidelines, and it depends on how thick or fluffy I like my pancakes. If I want a thinner, more crepe-like pancake, I increase the milk. Soak ~215g oats (just over 2 C) in ~655g whole milk (~3c) for at least 6-8 hours or overnight.

Add 50g oil (~3.5 Tbsp), 2 eggs, 75g brown sugar (~1/3c depending on how you pack it),1/4 tsp salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc, to taste. Mix in 120g (1 c) flour (last time I used King Arthur Whole Wheat), 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix until combined but do not overbeat.

I pretty much always add around 200g of sliced apples, or some bananas or blueberries or other fruit to the batter before cooking.

I enjoy eating these plain, but they're also good with powdered sugar, jam, syrup, what have you.

ETA: the quantities above give me around 20 small pancakes. I also usually let the batter rest a bit before cooking the pancakes.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Standard American pancake minus the melted butter in the recipe, wipe the non stick pan with extra virgin coconut oil, 153 calories a portion add 1/2 and orange squeezed to sweeten or 1/2 tin of fruit cocktail in fruit juice. Eat that as your main meal sorted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I pretty much use this

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Basic-Crepes/

It's delicious and with low fat milk, maybe 110 calories a crepe and totally worth it.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sorry my recipe calculation put olive oil and not extra virgin coconut oil so its actually 140 per pancake.

Recipe
    8oz flour
    350ml skimmed milk
    4 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, Whisk eggs and milk together, wipe pan with coconut oil warm non stick pan and cook, turning the pancake when it bubbles on top. The original recipe calls for 1oz of melted butter mixed in with the milk and eggs.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had savoury pancakes for dinner tonight, topped with spinach, mushrooms, blue cheese and just a dash of cream. My basic recipe is 40g flour, 125ml milk and one egg. Makes about two large (crepe style) pancakes. I use fry light to grease the pan, usually don't even need a spatula when using that stuff, just rolls right off the pan when you come to flipping it.
  • suzieboult
    Options
    I made mine with wholemeal and seeded flour 1 egg white and skimmed milk. I put coconut in the mixture and topped it with lemon and blueberries it was delish and i was full after 1. It was only 111 cals. I will defo make it again as a healthy snack