Zucchini spaghetti

Options
Has anyone made zucchini spaghetti ? I keep seeing these grater type things to turn zucchini into spaghetti and wondered how it turns out.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Like zucchini with pasta sauce. :)

The texture is appealing (to me), though, as long as you squeeze out the water before you cook it. It doesn't taste like pasta--which is good because I don't like pasta!
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but I love spaghetti squash in place of pasta. Have you tried that?
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used a spiralizer all last summer to make zoodles. We really like them sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic. It works really well to mix them with other pastas or spaghetti squash. They are pretty good raw on salads . The spiralizer worked great on potatoes also.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have never made pasta with zucchini. I have made angel hair pasta and poured Campbells brand Chunky New England Clam Chowder on top with Parmesan cheese.
  • ciarotheray
    ciarotheray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yummier than actual spaghetti I think :o) And as said above, brilliant on salads. I got a spaghetti-fier for about €7 (under $10) so it's not a huge investment but it's very fun!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I mix the zucchini in with the pasta, that way it gives me the volume I am used to when eating spaghetti, without all the calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any expectations of them actually tasting like spaghetti, they're quite good. I find they taste the best sauteed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    At least make them al dente.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I use a Julian peeler. I love it!!! I use it with anything that calls for noodles. Spaghetti, Thai, Chinese, what ever! My favorite is mixing it with a peanut sauce and adding chicken.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We had this last week and it was REALLY good. I guess the best part is that zucchini doesn't really have a taste. I used the julienne blade on my mandolin slicer and it worked pretty good. I did buy a Veggetti but haven't used it yet. (And I am hosting a Pampered Chef party that ends this coming week, so I'm ordering their hand held julienne slicer.) Anyhow, to cook the zoodles, I just nuked them for 2 minutes. Pretty easy!!
  • melinda189
    Options
    I dont even cook mine. Just poor the sauce on top
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love them! I sautee them until soft, add 1 cup pasta sauce, bring it to a low boil, crack 2 eggs on top, cover and simmer 5 minutes! That's my favorite. Ate it for a whole week for dinner....and now that I think about it will be doing it again tomorrow! It has a nice veggie flavor and I actually prefer it to pasta as it doesn't sit as heavy!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I make it with a device called a Vegetti and then steam it, maybe throw in a little garlic and some herbs to give it a more Italian flavour. Very easy to make, tastes nice, low calorie - just don't overcook it as then it goes soggy.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I agree, they don't taste like pasta. However, I, personally have learned to like them better. I use a regular grater and just grate the long sides. I eat it raw with pasta sauce, tomato or alfredo. It also makes a good "pasta salad." I recently tried it for a work potluck and it went over very well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love them! I sautee them until soft, add 1 cup pasta sauce, bring it to a low boil, crack 2 eggs on top, cover and simmer 5 minutes! That's my favorite. Ate it for a whole week for dinner....and now that I think about it will be doing it again tomorrow! It has a nice veggie flavor and I actually prefer it to pasta as it doesn't sit as heavy!

That sounds delicious. I don't really like zucchini by itself, but I think I could eat this (I put zucchini in my veggie chili to bulk it out and don't even taste it).

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Love them. We make spaghetti squash with sauce often and love it. Last night hubs made zucchini ribbons in some sort of a light sauce with parmesan and hazelnuts. It was stunning.

I love that when we eat zoodles it doesn't sit in my stomach like lead. :)
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love my "veggeti" great way to have salads using zuccini noodles otherwise known as zoodles. I do cucumbers , zucchini , squash ... whatever will fir in there. maltbxiav0lj.jpg
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer (which I give 5 stars--love it) and do it all the time -- it is delicious. Cooking is very fast too! We use it like linguini with shrimp too. We steam it. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes. I do believe you could cook & serve it from the microwave but haven't tried it.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is easier!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any expectations of them actually tasting like spaghetti, they're quite good. I find they taste the best sauteed.

This. You're still eating zucchini. I love them though and they were crucial to my original weight loss since I used to eat mounds and mounds of pasta and was apparently incapable of eating pasta in moderation.

If you're interested in trying it but don't want to spend the money on a special gadget, you could always use a peeler...