Exercise while sick?

Options
The never ending question, should I exercise when feeling ill?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do you mean ill as in flu or cold? If so then the answer is probably no! you won't give your workout 100% (because you won't be able to) and it will prolong your recovery period.

I only speak from my experience, you maybe different, but I'm guessing not.

I have an inbuilt idiot gene and always train through illness and always regret it and promise myself a rest next time - sadly I'm not good at keeping promises to myself.

To double up on my dumbness I also play tennis when injured!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im currently the same. It depends.
    1. Ive chosen not to because I dont think infecting everyone else is a good idea.
    2. Also dont think you cna have a very good workout.
    3. You set yourself back by not resting and healing up.

Im resting although id prefer to be burning calories.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Depends on the degree of illness. I think its better to eat proper and drink tons of fluid and skip the workout until you can dedicate all your energy to it. Then again...what do I know, not sure there is a correct answer.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends on how sick or viral you are.

I hit the gym yesterday with day two of my cold, didn't miss Saturdays workout either - brought a box of tissue and managed to hit new rep and weight PRs. (Deadlifting) Both were above par workouts.

The previous time I was sick, recovering a week after I got the flu, I threw up twice (that was a PR in itself) squatting. And left after the second time I threw up.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    if you just got a cold......i'd say go ahead.....pick up some emergen-c from the local pharmacy/vitamin aisle.......take 1 packet in the morning, and 1 at night.....you'll be g2g in a couple days.....put on some sweat pants/shirt, and do some cardio.....it'll help the cold run it's course.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I will say this If you go to the gym and work out sick Please take a box of sanitizer wipes and wipe things down so you do not make others sick
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, it depends. I workout from home, so I'm not worried about spreading germs, but sometimes you need to give your body time to heal. I've tried working out while having a cold, I get through the workout, but only half-assed and I feel worse afterwards. Not worth it.
  • beastmodeforlife
    beastmodeforlife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Working out sick is really not the greatest thing to do. It also depends on the level of sickness too. You will have to listen to your body and determined if your going to be able to workout. You don't want to waste your time at the gym or where ever you do your workout and it really doesn't count for anything. Instead you may need rest so you can train harder the next day. Also you may not want to spread whatever you have to someone else.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have had a cold for a week or so now and I get frustrated not being able to do something. The weather isn't playing nice either when it's 3 degrees. Thanks again!