50's Women Losing Weight

Options
Hi I'm JJ -

I've tried many diets and had great success each time but could never maintain that change.

This time I want to change my lifestyle permanently and not go on a "diet". I have a FitBit Surge and MyFitnessPal app and am logging my food intake and activities. My doctor says that for my age and sedentary job, I should eat 1500 calories a day and try to walk or other exercise 30 minutes to slowly get back to my goal.

This will be the first time I am brutally honest and share with others to help motivate me and keep me on track.

Here are all the diets I've tried:
Body For Life
Weight Watchers
Atkins Diet
Nutrisystem
MediFast
Paleo Diet
The Zone Diet
HCG Diet

I am 5'1" and weighed 190 lbs when I started last week. I'm a 52 year old woman in a sedentary job. My hubby who I call HB is my greatest supporter. Our boys have all grown up and moved out with lives of their own. We have 1 granddaughter Maci who will be 7 this June.

Our great joy these days are our 3 girls Sissy, Bea and Big Yella. Sissy & Bea are our wiener dogs and Big Yella is our giant cat!

I hope to get some friends on MyFitnessPal who are on a similar path that I am on.

LET'S DO THIS

Replies

• jackiejam222
    Options
    I forgot to mention I'm from Washington State and promise I won't go on and on about the Seahawks which I love for life!
  • Scarlotara
    Options
    Congrats on getting healthy I've always said I might not always winthe battle but I'll never give up in the war Keep up the good work.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie~ I'm from Washington too! Soon to be 54, 5', 137 this morning (10 lbs down in the past 5 weeks, 13 total. Woohoo!) sedentary job, and working hard to make this my final lifestyle change for life :D. You can friend me if you'd like

Tami
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie! I am not really losing weight but am now maintaining. I am 52, and lost 123 pounds using this site. I tried most of those diets in the past too. I came to the realization that weight loss, is simply about a calor deficit. I am from Washington too. Send me a friend request if you like.
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies I'm not from Washington State but I have been there, beautiful and the best sea food I ever had, lol. I am from NJ. I as well sit all day except for the 40 times I go to the bathroom for drinking so much water, haha I am slowly making progress which is good I just need to move more but by the time I get home make dinner and sit I'm done. If I get up early in the am on my own I will exercise but sometimes the body just doesn't want to cooperate. I have been using the videos of Leslie Sansone walking and found I like them very much. This is good for me thus far. What is everyone else doing? Mamadon you have done great with all that weight loss this is a great site.
  • avanshill
    Options
    Hi ladies I am also from N.J. I am blessed with good health despite my being over weight. I want to keep up the health and I know as I am getting older the weight won't allow that. Want to catch it now before its to late. Also any ideas on how to join your group it won't let me select it.
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm from Washington State as well, and have to say that I have been a die hard Seahawk fan since they became a football team!
    I am 49 - 50 in 7 months - do I still count?
    I need help and motivation. I've fallen off the wagon so to speak, need to lose about 10 lbs. Been lazy, haven't been logging my foods - partially because it's embarrassing to see the junk I've been eating the last couple of months.
    Would love to have some friends to keep me motivated!
  • stephv710
    stephv710 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am in Central Oregon (Bend). Lots of us from the PNW I see. Also a Seahawks fan.
    2 daughters, 3 grandkids under 3. Need to lose quite a bit but I'm trying to be patient. It took me 20 years to gain and I'm not going to lose it in a month.

Jackie I have been on every one of those diets and probably more. Finally realizing that I need to get back to basics and eat less and move more. Who knew?!

Mamadon your transformation is amazing and so impressive. You give me hope!

drcrisos Is that your Aussie pup in your profile pic? We are getting a black tri-color aussie in 7 weeks!

Would love to help each other out! Friend me if you would like!
  • trussell111
    trussell111 Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good to know that this age group is represented!
    Im Toni, I live in the beautiful state of Colorado. My husband and I live at about 8k feet in the Rockies and are both Fire Fighters.
    I let this winter make me lazy for some weird reason. I gained 25lbs since October.
    I am starting the HCG today with the loading phase.
    I did this same diet about 3 years ago, and went from 190 to 150. I maintained the 150 since then until October. Got lazy, stopped eating healthy..
    Now I'm ready to dive back in and conquer the weight loss.
    Good luck to everyone!!
  • trussell111
    Options
    @stephv710
    I lived in Bend many many moons ago. My son was born there :-)
  • juriasnipes
    juriasnipes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie,
    I'm 50 years old 5"1 and weigh 190 also. I gained about 40-50 lbs in 6 months when I lost my job. I am now ready to get this weight off. I have been using myfitnesspal, couch to 5k, and runkeeper for about a week. I'm feeling good about this journey. I've done it before good luck to all!!
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello there.

I'm not quite 50, but am super close, am a resident of Washington state, and have struggled with weight the majority of my life...and have also lost and gained the weight a couple of times.

Other than the weight I am in about the best place I could be in my life and really, really want to master this last darn tooting trouble.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Many in the Northwest. I am in North Idaho and 51 with lots to lose. I did Weight Watchers before and lost an avg 11 lbs a month. I am 5' 7". I have lost 25lbs since April. I even lost 5 lbs when I was on a driving two week vacation.