Tips to overcome anxiety about going to classes alone

Options
JenniferInCt
JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Lately, i find myself really wanting to go to some group classes to add some variety and hopefully fun to my routine. I envision myself loving classes such as spinning, yoga, zumba, boot camps, kickboxing, and even just cardio classes. Or at least trying them... Plus i think itd be a great way to meet some motivated people who are trying to get/stay healthy. I need friends with healthier lifestyles! (Besides all mfp buddies

Replies

• JenniferInCt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    See below for the rest of original post.. Sorry guys. Cant seem to edit it and have it all post in one despite multiple attempts
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I guess for me.. the way I overcame the anxiety was thinking I am not actually going alone.. there will be other people there. In my experience they are very encouraging and happy to have new people in the classes. Very welcoming. I just recently joined a Zumba class, went alone, and loved it and the people are very nice. TRY IT!
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things where you have to grit your teeth and make yourself go the first few times until it becomes fun second nature.
  • JenniferInCt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    (Part of original post) But i just cant seem to pull the trigger. I get so anxious thinking about going alone, being the biggest one in the room, being the only one in the room, or just feeling out of place. I wish i had friends that would go with me but i dont. Any tips? How did you start going? Thanks guys! (Still dont get why my posts get cut off!) edited to add to post
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    When you attend the classes it really doesn't feel like exercising alone. There will be loads of people of different shape, size and ability. You'll be too busy concentrating on what you're doing to care what people think when you're there.
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    I know you guys are right. I tell myself- this is how i used to feel about the gym and now i love it and im the one telling others how you just have to do it lol.
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    Any recommendations for where to begin? I see multiple gyms in the area that offer classes, as well as fitness centers, and places that just focus on classes. Where would i probably feel most comfortable? And what do you think would be the best first class to start with? I know all of our goals are different.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be the biggest or most out of shape. When I went to group classes there were people of all ages, sizes, and fitness levels in there. Everyone was friendly and trust me..no one is looking at you while working out. They are trying to focus on the steps in the class. I'm as shy as they come but then I went and really enjoyed it. (except for Zumba..every move they told me to do I surely went in the wrong direction). Just go, it will be fun, if you don't like it try another...it should be a fun and enjoyable experience!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The only way to pull the trigger is just to do it. Honestly, worrying about being the biggest one there or feeling out of place is just you playing mind games with yourself. Every single one of the people in that room had a first time and felt just like you feel.You don't really think they are paying much attention to you, do you? They are too wrapped up in themselves and probably worrying what other people are thinking about them.

You're going to look and feel a bit silly the first few times, it just goes with the territory because you don't know the routines yet. Go and do your thing in the back of the room where only the instructor can see you. As you're flailing around, you're burning just as many calories as the others in the room and maybe more if you're really the biggest... which I doubt you will be.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a beginner yoga series because I figured there shouldn't be anyone in the class better or worse than I am! Haha. I'm also hoping that by having a level playing field, I can make some friends who may also be intimidated. Worst case, I learn some yoga. :)
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    Thanks everyone! THIS is why i love mfp. Esp when i need a little kick in the butt to get me going
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    I wish there were my fitness pal classes all over the world lol! So i can meet with people i feel are in the same boat with me to workout
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be harsh but you just need to do it and get over it. You have to stop living in your head.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wish there were my fitness pal classes all over the world lol! So i can meet with people i feel are in the same boat with me to workout

But the others at the class ARE in the same boat as you!! You're all there for a common purpose! :wink:

• JenniferInCt
    Options
    No offense or harshness taken. I knew thats what people would say, and maybe i just needed to hear it from others. Esp hearing someone may have felt the same way and how they overcame it. Thanks!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

That would be an idea for some of the trainers that are on here. Instead of trying to advertise services, maybe they could advertise that they are on MFP and people could friend them and then get a class going...
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a little shy in social situations where I don't know anyone. Last year, I wanted to try a challenging type of group exercise but I had some anxiety about the first workout. I just forced myself to smile a lot when I showed up. By the end of the first class, I'd already made friends. You just have to bite the bullet :) Go for it, girl!
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for where to begin? I see multiple gyms in the area that offer classes, as well as fitness centers, and places that just focus on classes. Where would i probably feel most comfortable? And what do you think would be the best first class to start with? I know all of our goals are different.

Most places will offer you a trial period, like 1 visit or 3 visits to see how you like it. Before I joined my Y, I got 3 free visits and that included classes (the ones free with membership). Trial runs are a good place for you to start without committing. And I find that Ys are friendly to all kinds of people. We have big and small people, kids, disabled people doing rehab in the pool. Also, I love classes. Which one is the best to start off with? Read the descriptions and pick the one that seems most fun to you. There isn't a wrong class. If you hate it, move on. (I hate spinning.) Don't overthink it. And I know it's hard, but move past the fear that others are watching. It'll get in the way of both your weight loss and your enjoyment. I can't improve in the pool if I worry how I look in my suit, or if I'm scared that people think I'm doing my strokes wrong or that I look dumb. No one has ever made fun of me or said anything of the kind, and after a while I get fully absorbed in what I'm doing. Have fun exploring your classes!

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There are many resources that will help you deal with anxiety, so I won't give a long list of anxiety-reducing techniques, but I will say that one of the errors in our thinking is often believing that anyone is really paying that much attention to us. People are thinking more about themselves and how they look than about other people. The people at the gym will be very excited to support you in achieving your health goals.
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »

That would be an idea for some of the trainers that are on here. Instead of trying to advertise services, maybe they could advertise that they are on MFP and people could friend them and then get a class going...

Yes! I would sign up. I think others would too!