Giving up anything for Lent??

Options
Hello There!
So Ash Wednesday is this week and so begins Lent. I teach in a Catholic school and we all talk about what we are giving up. The kids give up pop or McDonalds or potato chips or backtalk, it's very cute, but this year a bunch of the teachers are giving up junk food/sugar for Lent. NOW...before anybody freaks out...here is what we mean. I am super lucky to teach in a very like-minded, collegial junior high and most of us work out, eat healthy, notice when someone has lost weight, etc., so it's a very supportive place. BUT...between birthdays and treats in the teacher's lounge, there is always crap food around and it is way too easy to pop one or five donut holes in your mouth every time you walk by them on the table and not even realize how many you have eaten throughout the day. So THAT is what we mean. We all pack decent lunches and snacks for ourselves, there is no reason we need the plethora of garbage that is in the office. So I am giving up that kind of crummy sugar. I do not need to waste calories on those crappy decorated cookies from Costco that are leftover from some first graders birthday celebration. I did buy two really good bars of dark chocolate and I figure a square or two of that each day is reasonable. I do not mean I will never eat another treat again, I just mean not every low quality high calorie thing that appears in my life needs to be eaten!!!! So--what are others giving up for Lent????? It's 40 days people--we can do it!!!!!

Replies

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Amazon except for Kindle purchases. I want a sacrifice in my life that will make me reflect upon other's sacrifices for me and, silly as it is, that fits the bill in my life.

I thought about giving up clothes shopping, but I want a sacrifice I can actually achieve!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nothing since I am not Christian.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up my beer. Notice I say beer and not booze. ;)
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I hadn't ever thought about it! Hmmmm.... Anything store bought with sugar.... Cookies, pies, cakes, candy bars, well any candy, donuts -- definitely donuts! I will have to keep my one piece of dark chocolate a day habit but that will be the only exception. If I really want it, I will have to make it in my own kitchen.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am not Christian but I grew up in that culture so am somewhat familiar with the concept of lent, and I am curious, how does giving up something that is bad for you and you know giving it up will benefit you fit with the idea of lent? (ETA - I mean the ideas of giving up junk, sugar, etc)

I always thought it would go more something like this:
    I'm giving up Amazon except for Kindle purchases. I want a sacrifice in my life that will make me reflect upon other's sacrifices for me and, silly as it is, that fits the bill in my life.

Won't it make more sense not to give up any food (unless forbidden during lent) since your food is already presumably restricted if you're on this site, and do something non-food instead? I am genuinely interested, I hope it's not an inappropriate question.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not inappropriate at all--I am a lifelong Catholic and teach in a Catholic school. It is indeed supposed to be something that is a sacrifice, something difficult that will cause you to think about the sacrifice Christ made for us. So the Amazon idea is more to the point than my "no sugar" thing! That said, it's not a bad time to kind of reset and think about what you do or don't do that is bad for you and others. With students at my school, we also focus on service during this time, so not only do you give up something, you also DO something. You could say you are giving up your time, time you would otherwise spend, what, on TV or video games (if you're one of my students). For me to give up the garbage treats--well, I shouldn't be on this site and eating that stuff anyway, but I have gotten very lazy and having to actually THINK before I pop yet another donut hole in my mouth will be good for me. It would be much harder for me to give up Netflix, say, or some other thing that I enjoy but that is not necessary for life. Giving up Netflix would also be a good one. May add that to my list!!!!!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Giving up alcohol
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for a thoughtful and informative reply. I learned new things :) I particularly like this part:
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    not only do you give up something, you also DO something

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided yet. I'm considering coffee (would be tough) or online shopping (which likely won't be all that tough, tbh).
    I gave up internet 2 years ago for Lent, and that was a monumental failure. A bit too ambitious.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I plan on fasting on Ash Wednesday and every friday during Lent. I will be saving my treats for sunday--usually a piece of 72% dark chocolate. I also try to do a nice thing for some one everyday. o:)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Im sacrificing for Lent.............my relationship with my mother in law........... :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You know, this year, I don't think so. I've already been forced to give up a LOT of things due to a recent medical diagnosis. I'm borderline diabetic and the dietary changes are like Lent forever already!
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    Not inappropriate at all--I am a lifelong Catholic and teach in a Catholic school. It is indeed supposed to be something that is a sacrifice, something difficult that will cause you to think about the sacrifice Christ made for us. So the Amazon idea is more to the point than my "no sugar" thing! That said, it's not a bad time to kind of reset and think about what you do or don't do that is bad for you and others. With students at my school, we also focus on service during this time, so not only do you give up something, you also DO something. You could say you are giving up your time, time you would otherwise spend, what, on TV or video games (if you're one of my students). For me to give up the garbage treats--well, I shouldn't be on this site and eating that stuff anyway, but I have gotten very lazy and having to actually THINK before I pop yet another donut hole in my mouth will be good for me. It would be much harder for me to give up Netflix, say, or some other thing that I enjoy but that is not necessary for life. Giving up Netflix would also be a good one. May add that to my list!!!!!

Personally, I think using lent as a reason to diet misses the point completely. Giving up potato chips or donuts really isn't very spiritually challenging.

The idea of corporal mortification has been diluted to the point of meaninglessness. Dieting is fine. So is challenging yourself during the season of lent. But they are not equivalent. You are setting a poor example for your students but watering down the meanin of lent like this.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Oh no. A Holy War is about to erupt over the true meaning of Lent and who the better Christians are. My fave.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up advertising my religion in inappropriate places.
  • drabbits3
    Options
    What would be a better example for my students? Not at all sarcastic--I teach 6th grade and 8th grade. I don't smoke, don't drink, married 20 years--not a lot of vices. We go to church on Wednesdays as a school and on Sundays as a family. I am far from perfect, that's not at all what I am getting at, but what would be a better example? Giving up Netflix would be tough but isn't that the same as giving up a certain food? I agree that we have diluted the point of Lent, I just don't know how to remedy that myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm going to give up advertising my religion in inappropriate places.

Perfectly put.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should discuss it with a priest?
  • drabbits3
    Options
    And...I didn't mean to get everyone all worked up. Just asking a question. I am not advertising my religion at all--separation of church and state is a VERY good thing!!!! Not trying to be offensive at all.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I give up alcohol and chocolate every year (just to prove to myself that I can), and usually also snacks, but I have stopped eating them anyway since I have been here. I also try to eat minimum meat, but I am not sure about this year as I have been cutting down on carbs. I still have a day to decide. I like the idea of giving up Amazon...
This discussion has been closed.