Does following the serving size help?

Options
I know this seems like a ridiculous question, but I'm pretty new to all of this and all my life, I've always been told to eat until you're full. My main issue is overeating. So in actuality, should I follow serving sizes to help prevent overeating and go back as needed or try something else?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on the food and the listed serving size. Some serving sizes are pretty small if you take the time to actually weigh or measure them out as listed on the package, and don't give you much food for the calories listed. Other things, like chips, I've found that I can weigh out a half serving onto my plate with a sandwich and be perfectly satisfied - but then I don't eat chips for their nutritional value, but because I like 'em! :stuck_out_tongue:

I pay attention to serving sizes for calorie count purposes, but I also go for the most bang for my buck with the calories I eat - protein, fat, carbs, nutrition in general, really, and if the food is going to keep me satisfied for a long time. And of course if it fits into my calorie goals.

Definitely read your labels, both servings sizes, nutritional info and ingredients, and log things as accurately as possible. Logging is an excellent learning tool - look back over your days and weeks and see where you did well, and see where you could do better - was a serving size enough, or would 1.5 servings be better, and still meet your goals? Was the serving of Foot Loops worth it, or would a different breakfast or snack have been a better choice? :smile: It takes time, but it's worth, and soon what to eat and how much just becomes second nature.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a relatively high volume of food to feel full. For calorie-dense items, I pretty much stick to serving sizes or even halve them. I always weigh and measure my portions to make sure I'm doing this. To fill myself up, I eat a LOT more than a serving size for non-starchy vegetables.

I had to relearn what "full" really meant as well. I used to need to eat until I was stuffed to feel satisfied. I've made a conscious effort to eat much more slowly and deliberately so that I can recognized when I'm genuinely full before I get to that "stuffed" feeling.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started this process by following serving sizes-it was an eye opener to see what a portion actually looks like, and it made it easier to count calories so you're not having to get the count right for like 2.3 servings of something. On the feeling full issue...feeling full depends on volume of food in your stomach, initially, and then a little while later on what macro nutrients you ate as they begin to be digested. We can't go by volume of food-some is calorie dense and some is not. That's the big secret-it's not amount of food, it's # of calories. If you feel like eating a lot is necessary, then lettuce and veggies will be your friend. If you'd rather eat rich prepared foods, you'll have to make peace with the small amount you get in a serving. Spaghetti is my favorite food... It was a shocker to see how small a serving is for a reasonable #of calories. Now I know why my mother never served it without a giant salad appetizer. It kind of sounds like you're not counting calories yet-because you can't do it without measuring your servings. If you're not ready to try that, then yes, it's still helpful to measure out servings so you know what's a reasonable amount to eat of different foods.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    No, it really doesn't matter.

Total calories is what matters.

I'll eat 6 servings of peas at a time ... or 3 servings of chicken ... it doesn't matter. What matters is total calories consumed -vs- total calories expended.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    +1 Total calories are what matter.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had to relearn what "full" really meant as well. I used to need to eat until I was stuffed to feel satisfied. I've made a conscious effort to eat much more slowly and deliberately so that I can recognized when I'm genuinely full before I get to that "stuffed" feeling.

Same here.

In general, I stick to serving sizes for the above reason. It really helps me learn to be satisfied and not overeat.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can just log the food in the amount you want and watch your total calorie needs for the day, because that's all that matters. If you eat the serving size of a whole bunch of foods you can still eat more than your caloric needs
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes, I watch serving sizes. I weigh and measure food to be sure I'm getting an actual serving (or less) There's no other way to accurately log your intake other than to know how much you're eating.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what the bottle lists as serving size. If I eat more or less of it, I just make sure to weigh it and log the right number of calories by weight.

I think serving size was originally intended to be an easy way for people to look at a label and guesstimate how many calories they'd eat. But food companies have been so manipulative with unrealistic serving sizes on labels (0.5 second spray, really?) that it's almost moot.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Segacs, my spray of olive oil will be measured in moots henceforth ;).
    ( sounds like an ancient measurement).
    Thanks for the quirky smile of the day.
    Cheers, h.