Tips to overcome anxiety about going to classes alone

Options
2»

Replies

• JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    irleshay wrote: »
    Any recommendations for where to begin? I see multiple gyms in the area that offer classes, as well as fitness centers, and places that just focus on classes. Where would i probably feel most comfortable? And what do you think would be the best first class to start with? I know all of our goals are different.

Most places will offer you a trial period, like 1 visit or 3 visits to see how you like it. Before I joined my Y, I got 3 free visits and that included classes (the ones free with membership). Trial runs are a good place for you to start without committing. And I find that Ys are friendly to all kinds of people. We have big and small people, kids, disabled people doing rehab in the pool. Also, I love classes. Which one is the best to start off with? Read the descriptions and pick the one that seems most fun to you. There isn't a wrong class. If you hate it, move on. (I hate spinning.) Don't overthink it. And I know it's hard, but move past the fear that others are watching. It'll get in the way of both your weight loss and your enjoyment. I can't improve in the pool if I worry how I look in my suit, or if I'm scared that people think I'm doing my strokes wrong or that I look dumb. No one has ever made fun of me or said anything of the kind, and after a while I get fully absorbed in what I'm doing. Have fun exploring your classes!

You're right, i saw a lot of trials. I guess i can at least call and ask what classes they recommend for beginners.

I know myself, and know that i just have to get over the hump of that first class and ill feel better. Just hope i dont have a full blown panic attack lol (i used to years ago, so thats why i have this fear). But ive grown up in the sense i know how to talk to myself and really try not to sweat the small stuff.

Thank you everyone!!!!!

• JenniferInCt
    Options
    Its true that its in our heads. I just recently told a family member how at the gym, nobody cares. Theyre focused on themselves.
    Im so good at making other people feel better and be more realistic, but not so good at putting it into action myself i guess. And honestly, even if they are looking or judging, i dont know why i care! I feel proud when i workout.
    I think its just like anything else in life- the first step is the hardest. Going to school, work, the gym for the first time were all anxiety ridden (for absolutely no reason). Okay, so i think im gonna just do it!
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    At least 50% of the people in the class will be going alone.
    You smile say hello to them, find a spot and get on with it.
    You gradually get to know the regulars and chat to them
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I think MFP classes in local areas would be awesome, too. But you'll still have a great time. Turn your brain off, find a class and sign up immediately and go asap, don't give yourself time to fret. That is the only thing that really works for my anxiety. I just have to hurl myself at what I want to do top speed!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Sign up for free trials at a few different gyms. Double check that classes are included in the trial (for example, at the Golds gym by me, spin classes were not included in the 30 day trial and zumba classes were $5 for non-gym members).

A lot of gyms will offer the same Les Mills classes: Body Pump, BodyCombat, BodyAttack, Body Step. Then there are the zumba variations: Zumba, Zumba Step, Zumba Toning, Zumba Toning, Aqua Zumba. If you try something at one gym with one instructor, don't be disheartened if you don't like it. I tried 4 different instructors at the Gold's gym by me. I thought one was kinda easy, low impact, and boring. Two others were okay. One was a wicked hard workout. I liked that one best. Spinning seems like it has a pretty level learning curve. You might want to start with that.

I do a lot of things alone. I swallow the feeling of social discomfort and just smile it off any time I try something new alone. The worst thing that could happen, as far as I'm concerned, is that I'm unhappy and I leave. Since I'm okay with that happening, I go for the risk every time.

Looking back at my time doing various group workout classes, I never once thought about or judged anyone. I was annoyed by women who came in late to Zumba and stood practically on my toes, but I couldn't tell you who they were or what they looked like for the life of me. I could not tell you who was the fattest or thinnest person there, apart from the time there was a 12 year old looking kid in one zumba class and I thought that was super inappropriate (gym had an 18+ policy).

Helpful etiquette hints for joining a group workout class:
    -Bring water and a small towel if you think you'll be sweaty. See what other people do with their towels/water bottles. It's usually bad to keep your bottle with you in the center of the room for zumba/yoga/body pump. If you're worried you'll be thirsty, pick a spot close to the wall/back of the room for easy water access.
    -Don't be late to classes. If there's equipment involved (hand weights, yoga mat, resistance bands), get there a little early to make sure you get what you need set up.
    -Bring a padlock for the locker room, do not bring your gym bag into the fitness room. This may vary at some gyms, but I've only ever been to fitness classes that were pretty packed.
    -Wear adequate deodorant.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I found a class for something I wanted to learn since childhood, martial arts. My parents didn't agree with the philosophy of many schools in the area cept the jeet kun,t think that's right, an hour away so that was out. Well I can get behind the philosophy of my mma school so I'm doing that. I'm new I'm in crappy shape but OMG so much fun.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    (Part of original post) But i just cant seem to pull the trigger. I get so anxious thinking about going alone, being the biggest one in the room, being the only one in the room, or just feeling out of place. I wish i had friends that would go with me but i dont. Any tips? How did you start going? Thanks guys! (Still dont get why my posts get cut off!) edited to add to post

If I were going to do classes (not really my thing), I think I'd rather do them alone (join without a friend/relative). If I don't know anyone there, then there can be no preconceived idea of who I am or what I'm like. I don't have to care what a bunch of strangers think of me. Who knows, maybe you'll actually make friends.
  • Shellys_Start
    Shellys_Start Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you, letting my brain scare me too much. My dad got me a gift card for the YMCA in our town and I felt too guilty to not use it (he knew I would!). I was TERRIFIED to go and do anything. I am the biggest person in the classes I'm going to but I'm so fortunate because every single person in my classes and in general have been extremely nice and helpful and encouraging. The exact opposite of what I'd expected and feared. You just have to try and if one gym is rude and judgmental it's their loss. But I'll bet you'll be surprised once you make yourself go. Good Luck!
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I first went to the classes with my friend. After that I was fine going alone. Even though I am in some class 4-5 days a week, I cannot bring myself to try a new class without knowing someone I know is going to be in there with me the first time. Crazy, huh??? LOL
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I actually like going alone because I figure if I look like an uncoordinated spaz no one knows me!!!!! And it's kind of meditative to just go and not have to make small talk with someone or be nervous about what a friend might think of you. If you are a YMCA person everyone is super friendly and regular and all shapes and sizes, which helps too. That's why I don't go to a fancy gym--I am a regular person!
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite fear from you, in a way!!
    I was totally cool with going to a group class, because you were being told what to do!! The thought of going into a gym with all those weights and scary machines was so much more terrifying!! I was scared I'd be this clueless girl just walking around too afraid to try a machine or set it up and adjust it properly!
    I need someone to tell me which exercise to do and that's why I preferred classes to begin with. Now I go to the gym too but I follow a programme. The first day is the hardest and it's all good after that! Good luck
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You could also consider going to class during slightly off hours, i.e. don't go to the 6:00pm spin class when people are coming from work. In my experience those classes are often more crowded, which could feel more intimidating. I think testing out the gyms is a good idea, so you can get a vibe for the place and the classes.

But usually no one is paying attention to anyone else in class. I do glance over at other people's bikes in my classes, but mostly because the instructor gives vague directions about adding levels and I want to make sure I'm on track. Also in a past yoga class, a guy nearly kicked me with his very cracked gross feet, but I can't remember his face for my life.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SR_86 wrote: »
    I had the opposite fear from you, in a way!!
    I was totally cool with going to a group class, because you were being told what to do!! The thought of going into a gym with all those weights and scary machines was so much more terrifying!! I was scared I'd be this clueless girl just walking around too afraid to try a machine or set it up and adjust it properly!
    I need someone to tell me which exercise to do and that's why I preferred classes to begin with. Now I go to the gym too but I follow a programme. The first day is the hardest and it's all good after that! Good luck

Oh, this was me. It took me almost 6 months of wanting to lift at my company gym before I finally started. I was using the treadmill to run there on days it was too hot outside. I didn't know what to do and was afraid to ask. It was the silliest thing ever because everyone in there is super helpful and now I go twice a week.
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was petrified when I went to my first class, this is how i overcame it. I walk to the gym so on way I played some of my favourite songs on my phone, I arrived a bit earlier to make sure the teacher knew I was a newbie, I smiled a lot and concentrated really hard on getting it right, I was and still am the biggest person in some classes, I also sweat horribly which always bothered me but now I know I'm going to the classes to one day not be the biggest, and my sweating just means I'm working really hard.
  • cbradley903
    cbradley903 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is some advice from someone who has worked for many years in the pool. Ugh you say I don't want to get into a suit then get some shorts or swim skirt and put it over your suit wear a t shirt over it what ever it takes. I still need to loose 40 pounds and know that people of all sizes and ages come to my class. I can give a great workout in the water and make people sweat. I had the same problem with what you are talking about with land exercises. Wearing clingy clothing and trying to get off this weight. I had to take my own advice. Now I am craving but areas. I keep saying to myself the quote I seen one time. " dance like no one is watching". I really believe that. There is people that get into the water that have not wore a suit for 25 years or more but once they are in and get moving it is awesome how fast they make friends. Get you something comfty to wear water or land and go to it. If it is not a good feeling after a few trips then find another. Don't give up. I am over fifty and I decided it is still not to late to loose some weight even though I teach every week four times. It was time to step up my game and hit the land too. Best of luck would like to have some friends on here that can help each of us overcome the small stuff that block us at times.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i walked in, alone, to a hot yoga class full of beautiful women wearing not much clothing with tremendous bodies. i was one of the only guys, clearly the heaviest, and the only newbie there. i got there early, introduced myself to the instructor and asked how i should handle being new. she gave me a few tips; set up in the back, make my goal to watch the first round of the pose, then try the second round of each pose, when to drink my water, stuff like that. things that took some of the anxiety out of it. i survived the class and at the end everyone clapped for me. was also a newbie at a spin class. same protocol; got there early, alerted the instructor to some limitations i thought i might have, asked for advice and just gave what i could. loved both classes and took each for about a year. miss them both, but so glad i took the step forward.

the biggest thing i realized is that everyone is SO focused on themselves, no one is watching you. so go be you, have fun and enjoy the class.
  • JenniferInCt
    Options
    Lol! I love a few of your stories that turned an anxious situation into a humorous one! I needed that!
    And every single post has motivated me. I am going to to one trial and well see from there. Love you all for listening!
  • silvercat76
    silvercat76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I joined my local Y a week ago as a family, I take the kids with me when they don't have school. I actually took my first class today, just do it you'll enjoy it, plus you'll get a workout in too!