Eye Pain & Cardio?

Options
Lately when I'm working out on the Arc Trainer usually...I get some eye pressure/discomfort that persists for a couple of days. Anyone else get this?

I don't have High Blood Pressure at all, no other diseases that I know of (I've been to the doctor for blood work and a physical, prior to this issue), and I am a vegetarian. I think it COULD be due to not getting a certain vitamin, but I'm not sure.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    That's definitely strange. Does it start during the workout, or sometimes after? Does it feel like a sinus headache (that headache / pressure thing behind the eyes) or something completely different?
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Have you had your eyes tested lately? if not get them checked out, I was getting headaches and pains turns out I needed glasses.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Have you had your eyes tested lately? if not get them checked out, I was getting headaches and pains turns out I needed glasses.

This.
  • exlibrissilvio
    exlibrissilvio Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do need to get my eyes checked. It's been 3 years since my last exam (I lost insurance shortly after, and am getting it back on March 1st). I needed glasses for astigmatism then, just for reading and night driving.

I drink about a gallon of water a day, so I am hydrated. But, I do think that I tense up a bit when working out. I also read somewhere that improperly breathing while working out could lead to eye pain, but that was just a post on a bodybuilding forum, not anything official.
  • exlibrissilvio
    exlibrissilvio Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    That's definitely strange. Does it start during the workout, or sometimes after? Does it feel like a sinus headache (that headache / pressure thing behind the eyes) or something completely different?

It starts usually in the middle/toward the end. And it isn't EVERY time...if I take it easy, I notice that it is either less or not at all. I can sometimes be aggressive with my cardio, I suppose. But, not overly aggressive...I just want to feel like I'm actually working out and not just taking a walk in the park. You know?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Increased pressure that might lead to pain in your eyes is not likely related to blood pressure.

Too many possibilities here to reasonably speculate about. Heck, I was once diagnosed with a brain tumor based on eye issues. They were completely wrong - turns out I have asymptomatic abnormal eye structure - but it shows that eye issues can be indicative of other problems. Any decent optometrist ought to be able to sort it out.

You definitely need to get your eyes checked out.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Could also be dental problems. My wife had an abscess in a tooth once that caused pain in her sinuses and eyes when she did any kind of strenuous activity. It's definitely something to get checked out.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

It starts usually in the middle/toward the end. And it isn't EVERY time...if I take it easy, I notice that it is either less or not at all. I can sometimes be aggressive with my cardio, I suppose. But, not overly aggressive...I just want to feel like I'm actually working out and not just taking a walk in the park. You know?

To ask the question again -- do you know what a sinus headache feels like, and does this seem roughly the same. If not, how is it different? I ask the question basically because it's pretty dry indoors this time of year (at least in the Northern hemisphere), and if you have sensitive sinuses, breathing heavy (especially through the nose) is liable to dry them out and cause a sinus headache.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Until you go to a doctor (I would go to a GP), I wouldn't push it. Stay moderate until you know what's going on.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sinus congestion can feel like that. Try using a neti pot, to flush out your sinuses. Pharmacies sell them. Follow the directions closely.