what is your "check in" style?

Options
How do you decide when to "check in"?

For a while I would check in only after I saw a new low weight pop up a few times over a few days or so.

Then I would check in the moment I saw a new low weight (knowing I would likely not see that number again for a few days or so).

I am a daily (sometimes multiple times a day) weigh-er. It doesn't bug me when I see it go up multiple pounds, does that all that time.

I know it doesn't matter, I am just curious what people have to say about it (if anything). It's one of those things I like to fiddle with and usually feel as long as I follow a pattern consistently it doesn't matter how I do it. And I really only care about consistency because I happen to like to go back and look at my chart/graph progress.

Today I actually weighed in at 188 but chose to check in at 190 and I was feeling like I am
"gaming the system" so that's what had it on my mind.

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I check in at the same time on the same day each week, every week, up or down. I feel like if I don't do it this way and only check in when I lose, I would be losing valuable information about how my body is going through this change. If I'm up, I want to be able to go through my journal and see if there was something that maybe caused it.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Once a week, on Mondays to keep me accountable for the weekend ;) I've been a daily weigher before and I just get discouraged by the normal ebb and flows. But everyone is different and there's certainly no right or wrong
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    DataSeven wrote: »
    I check in at the same time on the same day each week, every week, up or down. I feel like if I don't do it this way and only check in when I lose, I would be losing valuable information about how my body is going through this change. If I'm up, I want to be able to go through my journal and see if there was something that maybe caused it.

Uh... I may be the world's biggest idiot but can I admit that it actually never occurred to me to "check in" at the same time each week? I guess in my defense my weight goes all wonky all over the place so much I guess I felt like a static same time once a week capture would miss some data, but your comment makes me think it might also capture some data I would otherwise miss.

Thank you!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning, but "checkin" and log weight and measurements once a week, after the pool. I do this for the same reason as the other poster.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When I weighed daily I put my weight in daily. I put it in every morning - same time, same conditions (in my undies, before eating or drinking anything). I also just put in the number the scale says. I guess I don't see the logic of putting other numbers in.

I weight weekly now but follow the same ideas. Same day of the week each week. In the morning before eating or drinking anything.
  • KrissyIrene83
    KrissyIrene83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh everyday unless I had an absolutely horrible cheat day and know it's way up!
  • amandazona
    amandazona Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning first thing and check in daily with whatever the scale says. I don't get discouraged seeing the ups and downs on the scale or on my weight graph in MFP - I actually prefer seeing all the data points (data nerd here!). As long as the overall weight trend is towards my goal (downwards) then I am fine.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, every morning, when I'm at home and my scale syncs automatically with MFP - so 'checking-in' isn't a conscious decision for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I get out of bed, go to the bathroom, and then weigh myself and log it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I check in whenever I have a new lowest weight. I used to check in every morning after weighing but tracking my progress got annoying trying to find lowest weights in fluctuating graphs and my progress on my fitbit didn't make a lot of sense either.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record lows only. Id like to record all weight ins so i can track trends better but then when i go back down, it say i lost more than my lowest wt. Make sense? Example: if i weigh in at 100lbs (i wish lol! Using it for simplicity). The next day i weigh 102. A few days later i weigh 99, itll go on my page- jenniferinct lost 3lbs. Instead of the one. Dont want my friends to think im lying! Haha i know i have issues.
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do weight and measurements once a month and I log it then
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks. I don't like the scale bouncing around.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My style is I do what I want. Check in when I feels like it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    New low right away. I don't record it when it goes back up because I'm at a deficit all the time.

I know someone who checks in daily and so I never congratulate her on losing 2.3 pounds because I have no idea if that's a loss or not.

But I only record whole pounds. I've been half a pound down and I haven't recorded a new loss in about two weeks.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Put in whatever number I feels like seeing. Could be 100, could be 2000.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Put in whatever number I feels like seeing. Could be 100, could be 2000.

lol
  • Yodee
    Yodee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I check in every Friday morning - good or bad - thankfully only one bad so far :) It gives me an idea of what I am doing so I know what seems to be working.