Giving up anything for Lent??

Options
2»

Replies

• drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think I may give up posting anything on MFP. Lots of us get all worked up and it really was just a silly, innocent question. Not meant to incite a big religious debate. I know this is not the place for that-jeez.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    And...I didn't mean to get everyone all worked up. Just asking a question. I am not advertising my religion at all--separation of church and state is a VERY good thing!!!! Not trying to be offensive at all.

You're not offensive except by those allowing themselves to be offended. Separation of Church and State isn't relevant here.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    And...I didn't mean to get everyone all worked up. Just asking a question. I am not advertising my religion at all--separation of church and state is a VERY good thing!!!! Not trying to be offensive at all.

There was nothing offensive about your post... It was clearly not even really about religion. I'm not religious but that doesn't mean I get offended at the very mention of it. Some people are just overly sensitive or like to take any chance they can to be critical. I don't understand it, but generally ignore it.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    ...it really was just a silly, innocent question. Not meant to incite a big religious debate.

Agree.

• mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went to catholic school as a kid forever ago. It was good except for all that wasted time teaching religion in a noncritical way. It's bizarre that we teach our kids this backwards way of thinking. For lent, I am giving up lent.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm going to give up advertising my religion in inappropriate places.

Perfectly put.

Ugh. Discrimination.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Not inappropriate at all--I am a lifelong Catholic and teach in a Catholic school. It is indeed supposed to be something that is a sacrifice, something difficult that will cause you to think about the sacrifice Christ made for us. So the Amazon idea is more to the point than my "no sugar" thing! That said, it's not a bad time to kind of reset and think about what you do or don't do that is bad for you and others. With students at my school, we also focus on service during this time, so not only do you give up something, you also DO something. You could say you are giving up your time, time you would otherwise spend, what, on TV or video games (if you're one of my students). For me to give up the garbage treats--well, I shouldn't be on this site and eating that stuff anyway, but I have gotten very lazy and having to actually THINK before I pop yet another donut hole in my mouth will be good for me. It would be much harder for me to give up Netflix, say, or some other thing that I enjoy but that is not necessary for life. Giving up Netflix would also be a good one. May add that to my list!!!!!

Personally, I think using lent as a reason to diet misses the point completely. Giving up potato chips or donuts really isn't very spiritually challenging.

The idea of corporal mortification has been diluted to the point of meaninglessness. Dieting is fine. So is challenging yourself during the season of lent. But they are not equivalent. You are setting a poor example for your students but watering down the meanin of lent like this.

Why? "Carrying your cross" Can mean all kinds of things. I consider the point of Lent to remove something from your life, whether its mental or physical, and allow something more positive to take it's place. Like goal setting, it should be challenging, but not set yourself up for failure.

I decided to give up beer for Lent for spiritual and nutritional reason. Incidentally, Easter and MLB's Opening Day occur on the same day this year, making it the most liturgically correct thing since the last time that happened a few years ago.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Perfectly put.

Ugh. Discrimination.

No, the Community Rules pretty much exclude religious topics from the forum. While I personally don't care, it isn't discrimatory to point out that this isn't the place for discussion about Lent. There are private groups if religious subjects are to be your focus.

Anyway, my mother used to give up bread for lent every year. I'm not observant of these practices but I have a fondness for the memory they bring.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think I may give up posting anything on MFP. Lots of us get all worked up and it really was just a silly, innocent question. Not meant to incite a big religious debate. I know this is not the place for that-jeez.

You asked a question about Lent, Lent is in the title of the thread. If they didn't want to discuss Lent, or Christianity they can feel free to skip over it. The problem is theirs, not yours.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Perfectly put.

Where were you guys when all those Ramadan threads were up? You had no problem with those. Not a negative comment in them.

Well, to be fair I've never had a Muslim scream in my face about "keeping the christ in christmas"... I'll let you figure out what religion the person was who has done that.

Also, Ramadan is very much about food, and I can see how there might be concerns about hitting nutritional needs during a period where they fast during daytime hours. And since this site is geared towards nutrition, that would be totally applicable.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

You asked a question about Lent, Lent is in the title of the thread. If they didn't want to discuss Lent, or Christianity they can feel free to skip over it. The problem is theirs, not yours.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Perfectly put.

Where were you guys when all those Ramadan threads were up? You had no problem with those. Not a negative comment in them.

Well, to be fair I've never had a Muslim scream in my face about "keeping the christ in christmas"... I'll let you figure out what religion the person was who has done that.

Also, Ramadan is very much about food, and I can see how there might be concerns about hitting nutritional needs during a period where they fast during daytime hours. And since this site is geared towards nutrition, that would be totally applicable.

Wut? You are actually putting all people of a religion in the same boat?
    Often what is given up for Lent is related to food.

(I'm not Christian but am surprised be these types of posts)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Uhm. . .Lent is also a cultural event in some places. Where I'm from (not where I live now) it is a part of the culture, not just a religious thing. You are not required to do it you don't participate in a faith based group that doesn't include it in its tenents, but some people do and that's okay.

Lent, it isn't just for Roman Catholics anymore. . .

• Lourdesong
    Options
    Why would a muslim scream in anyone's face about keeping the christ in Christmas? Lol
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Perfectly put.

Did I say "all" anywhere in my comment? Because looking at my quote I don't see me saying that. But go ahead and read into it how you like. I really don't care.

And giving up a food item =/= fasting for 12+ hours a day for a month. Seriously, the nutritional implications of that over the span of a month can be quite detrimental.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

So you would welcome my comments about Lent and Christianity then, would you? Because I really DO want to discuss them. Then we'll see who feels like "if anyone is offended it's their own problem for overreacting to something I posted".
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Perfectly put.

Did I say "all" anywhere in my comment? Because looking at my quote I don't see me saying that. But go ahead and read into it how you like. I really don't care.

And giving up a food item =/= fasting for 12+ hours a day for a month. Seriously, the nutritional implications of that over the span of a month can be quite detrimental.

Tell that to all of us who do 5:2 for completely non-religious reasons.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We talked about this on another thread recently, but I'm happy to see it again, as I think it's an interesting discussion.
    I am not Christian but I grew up in that culture so am somewhat familiar with the concept of lent, and I am curious, how does giving up something that is bad for you and you know giving it up will benefit you fit with the idea of lent? (ETA - I mean the ideas of giving up junk, sugar, etc)

I think of the Lenten practice as having a couple of different components. One--as you note--has to do with giving up something that is good but just maybe too much of a crutch or habit, to have you both experience doing without (in essence being like the disciples trying to wait with Jesus in the Garden is one way I link to think of it, and of fasting in general) and to remember why you are doing it when you think of it. Thatkind of sacrifice should be something just for the season and that you can return to in a positive way afterwards.

But I think that there's also a way in which Lent is to remind us of what we should be doing in the rest of the year, the idea being that conversion (for a Catholic, at least) is a process, not something that is ever ended, and Lent is a time to refocus and turn back to God. So in that sense I think a focus on giving up permanently something that is spiritually negative is a good thing, although I never have it be my only sacrifice (since I should be doing it anyway). When I quit drinking I didn't do it "for Lent," but it was part of my focus that Lent.

That said, for me any sacrifice that is about diet would not work, since I think the motives get mixed up. Not saying it couldn't work for others, though, if you genuinely believe it is about living a healthier life and tie that to religious observance.
    Won't it make more sense not to give up any food (unless forbidden during lent) since your food is already presumably restricted if you're on this site, and do something non-food instead? I am genuinely interested, I hope it's not an inappropriate question.

This is 100% how I thought of it last year (I had just seriously started trying to lose weight in late January and knew I would confuse the meaning of what I was doing). So although I traditionally have done a food-related sacrifice as part of it all I did last year (re food) was the required fast days and Friday discipline. This year, since I'm about at maintenance, I'm giving up all meat but fish (fish also on Friday) and coffee. This is a compromise I feel a little uncomfortable with since I normally go veggie and I just think it would be too hard to shift my eating that much. I'm telling myself it's baby steps and I can go back to that next year, and it's why I'm doing coffee too.

In general, though, I think of Lent as a time when one should live and eat more simply (I'm not planning to go out and have lobster and crab all the time) and that includes eating a lot less sweets and desserts and the like, although I'm not specifically giving them up.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Perfectly put.

Tell that to all of us who do 5:2 for completely non-religious reasons.

So fasting for 2 non-consecutive days per week and then eating unconstrained for 5 days in the week is the same as fasting every single daylight hour for a month. Got it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    George-Michael-Bluth-GIF.gif

Ok sports fans, here's the deal. As we've already covered in this thread, certain topics are better suited for groups:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

But to be fair, we often see discussions on these forums which are relevant to only certain groups, especially about food related to holidays or celebrations, whether religious or secular, which is why we also have this guideline:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

This thread is now closed, and in the future, if you have any concerns about a post, please just report it to the mod squad for review.
This discussion has been closed.