Impact of Going Over on Protein

Options
Hi. I've been doing really great keeping within all of my macros for the day, except protein. I'm consistently 20-30g over on protein. I haven't worried about it because I'm 10 pounds down in the first month and figure the calories are the important piece, but just curious about the protein part.

I have been eating very clean with lots of lean meats and veggies, but I do have a protein shake in the mornings for breakfast. I can't really stomach food first thing and that seems to be the best thing to get me started and keep me full until lunch.

Thoughts?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It has no effect what so ever.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein, too. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I think "too much" protein causes your kidneys to work more and "could" lead to kidney stones. I read that somewhere a long time ago. So take with a grain of salt. I just make sure I drink at least a gallon of water a day. If I see that I'm going over my goal, I might try to lower the protein and increase the fat or carbs. I eat about my LBM in grams of protein and don't think I need to go much higher than that.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney dysfunction extra protein is OK
  • lhama83
    lhama83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ummm...how can I put this politely...too much protein = smelly wind :D Otherwise the body just excretes what it doesn't need.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney dysfunction extra protein is OK

Yes.
    The only side effect is that your muscles will be happy.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You should be fine OP as long as you don't have a kidney impairment.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. I do very well on water so that's not a concern and have no kidney issues. So I guess I'm good.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFPs numbers the protein goal is usually pretty low so I usually think of that as a minimum rather than a max
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein goal is far too low for me. I changed mine to better reflect my goals, especially since I'm incorporating strength training into my fitness plan.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I easily get 100g of protein a day (5'6", 154 lbs) and my Dr. said it was fine as long as I'm exercising regularly and drinking plenty of water :)
  • soygorda18
    soygorda18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    lhamaza wrote: »
    ummm...how can I put this politely...too much protein = smelly wind :D Otherwise the body just excretes what it doesn't need.

Well this explains a lot... :blush:
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    lhamaza wrote: »

Well this explains a lot... :blush:

Uh, yeah. It sure does... I was wondering what died inside of me!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I smash protein. No problems.